roflwhalers - Page 3

roflwhalers

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: roflwhalers

Post by Forboding Angel »

If I swerve in front of you should it be any real great surprise that I get t-boned? Seriously now. You're siding on the sea shepherd side because they failed2commonsense? How, in your world, does that work?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I against whaling while populations are this low, but c'mon dudes, those big fuck off nip whaling ships don't turn on a dime, you can't ram anything as fast and zippy as that little black boat unless they present themselves like a bitch in heat, nor can you probably avoid ramming them once they do.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Das Bruce wrote:I against whaling while populations are this low, but c'mon dudes, those big fuck off nip whaling ships don't turn on a dime, you can't ram anything as fast and zippy as that little black boat unless they present themselves like a bitch in heat, nor can you probably avoid ramming them once they do.
^^ This. I agree 100%.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Forboding Angel wrote:If I swerve in front of you should it be any real great surprise that I get t-boned? Seriously now. You're siding on the sea shepherd side because they failed2commonsense? How, in your world, does that work?
Because the video from the third boat (which had a clear view of both vessels) makes it clear as day the Japanese boat turned and aimed straight for the Ady Gil. It's been confirmed by naval experts and can be verified by anybody with, you know, eyes. Your analogy is broken in the face of the actual events.

Perhaps the Ady Gil could have reversed or accelerated sooner but that doesn't change the overwhelming evidence that the ramming was pre-meditated and deliberate.

As for the whole "not turning on a dime" I again urge you to watch the other video, that large ship does in fact move and turn quite quickly. It changes heading by at least 40 degrees in a space of less than 10 seconds. It may be large but it isn't exactly an aircraft carrier either.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I disagree with you based upon this video which shows 3 different angles. I posted it on the last page but I'm guessing that you didn't look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCT2A4BPjA

The ady gil was being a dickweed and swerving back and forth in front of the whaler. Try swerving back and forth in the path of a semi some-time and let me know how well that works out for you. Semis are aircraft carriers either, but the analogy is pretty much the same, except in this case, to be proper, if you were in a car, the semi would be easily 5x larger than a normal semi.

smoth

Post by smoth »

boats handle entirely differently from a truck.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

1.) Ho hum, we'll go to the right of camera.
2.) (4 secs) No wait, lets turn suddenly
3.) (10 secs) Oh dear, where did that boat straight ahead of us come from?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

funny... when i looked at that image, i felt that they are just some kids playing with their water guns... so silly...
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

SpliFF wrote:You basically described what happened anyway; The captain DID go road-rage on the protestors and they didn't see it coming.
Now hold on a second, lets take a closer look at the url where you provided your quotes from;

"Direct actions have included scuttling and disabling commercial whaling vessels at harbour, ramming other vessels, throwing glass bottles of butyric acid on the decks of vessels at sea, boarding of whaling vessels while at sea, and seizure and destruction of drift nets at sea. As of 2009, Paul Watson has said that the organization has sunk ten whaling ships while also destroying millions of dollars worth of equipment. He considers the actions to be against "criminal operations" and has called the group an "anti-poaching organization"

Ramming a speedboat with a ship that big is a HUGE escalation over throwing ropes and smelly liquids.
These fuckers have done more than just thrown orange juice on the whaler ships. They are not any kind of protestors but a terrorist organization, and painting them any other way is comparable to calling al qaeda freedom fighters of justice~~
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I think you're misunderstanding, Spliff. It's not that we think the whalers are in the right necessarily, it's just that the idiots in the space-age speedboat have no right to complain about what happened, because they started the fight and have a history of basically terrorism.

They were trying to blind the whalers with lasers, they attacked them with some kind of chemicals, they've been sinking their ships and destroying their property for some time now. Now they managed to buy a $2 million dollar toy but they got too cocky this time and managed to get themselves run over by a much larger boat that's not capable of half their speed or rate of turning. They had all the advantages but they managed to dick it up, and now they're pissing and moaning about it.

You go into a bar and make fun of a bouncer. You call him fat, slow, dumb, smelly, and bald. He holds himself back. You spit in his face, and that's the last thing you remember as you wake up the next morning completely naked in a field somewhere two counties over, tightly clutching a receipt for your car's transfer of ownership. Welcome to life.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Sleksa wrote: These fuckers have done more than just thrown orange juice on the whaler ships. They are not any kind of protestors but a terrorist organization, and painting them any other way is comparable to calling al qaeda freedom fighters of justice~~
Not calling people that fight against human ignorance and stupidity terrorists is comparable to not calling religious suicide bombers terrorists?

Some twisted perception you have there. It's sad how people label these environmentalist as terrorists. They prevent murder, yet are compared to murderers.

At least you're a good soldier now. It's a pity your kind manages to breathe.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

For every environmentalist you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Regret wrote:
Sleksa wrote: These fuckers have done more than just thrown orange juice on the whaler ships. They are not any kind of protestors but a terrorist organization, and painting them any other way is comparable to calling al qaeda freedom fighters of justice~~
Not calling people that fight against human ignorance and stupidity terrorists is comparable to not calling religious suicide bombers terrorists?
No. Calling known terrorists that have destroyed property and endangered lives of dozens of people "environmentalists", as if violence for whales is any better than violence for religions or ideologies

Killing whales might be murder, yes. But how about the mass harvesting of cows for milk and meat? That is by far more cruel than a (comparably) swift kill of a whale.

Also you forget the one thing that most of these "peaceful" eco(terro)warriors) are actively harming people's living (such as people destroying mink farms and SPRAYING the foxes/minks so their fur cant be used, setting them free in the wilderness where they become the food of large predators increasing their population and thus disrupting the normal ecosystem even more, and destroying a person's living, thus making his and his family's life more miserable. But then again, we shouldnt feel sorry for humans now should we?)

Some twisted perception you have there. It's sad how people label these environmentalist as terrorists. They prevent murder, yet are compared to murderers.
Ships claimed to be sunk by the Farley Mowat. I took this during a tour of the ship on 24th Nov, 2006 in Docklands, Melbourne, Australia.
I have no love lost for international pirates, be they disguised as whale fighters or not~~
Regret

Post by Regret »

Sleksa wrote:No. Calling known terrorists that have destroyed property and endangered lives of dozens of people "environmentalists", as if violence for whales is any better than violence for religions or ideologies
Violence for saving lives is certainly better than violence for avenging your imaginary friends.
Sleksa wrote:Killing whales might be murder, yes. But how about the mass harvesting of cows for milk and meat? That is by far more cruel than a (comparably) swift kill of a whale.
Topic is about whales. Not cows, even though I do agree it is cruel.
Sleksa wrote:Also you forget the one thing that most of these "peaceful" eco(terro)warriors) are actively harming people's living (such as people destroying mink farms and SPRAYING the foxes/minks so their fur cant be used, setting them free in the wilderness where they become the food of large predators increasing their population and thus disrupting the normal ecosystem even more, and destroying a person's living, thus making his and his family's life more miserable. But then again, we shouldnt feel sorry for humans now should we?)
You can't put everyone into the same box. Some people are idiots and do stupid shit without realizing the consequences. Again this is topic is about whales.
Sleksa wrote:
Ships claimed to be sunk by the Farley Mowat. I took this during a tour of the ship on 24th Nov, 2006 in Docklands, Melbourne, Australia.
I have no love lost for international pirates, be they disguised as whale fighters or not~~
Many poacher ships sunk, admirable feat.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Sleksa wrote:
Those ships arent japanese, so I take it that they were whaling illegally in the first place?
You go into a bar and make fun of a bouncer. You call him fat, slow, dumb, smelly, and bald. He holds himself back. You spit in his face, and that's the last thing you remember as you wake up the next morning completely naked in a field somewhere two counties over, tightly clutching a receipt for your car's transfer of ownership. Welcome to life.
That happened to you?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I find myself disgusted by both sides of this argument.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

I dont know, but norway / iceland as scandinavian countries, have a very good and clean international reputation, So i wouldnt really count on them being the wrongdoers there.

In any case, my point is already presented by caydr as follows;
I think you're misunderstanding, Spliff. It's not that we think the whalers are in the right necessarily, it's just that the idiots in the space-age speedboat have no right to complain about what happened, because they started the fight and have a history of basically terrorism.
You cannot really deny the sea shepherd's history of terrorism, since they outright promote it themselves. You cant also deny them taking the responsibility of sinking a dozen ships and doing millions worth of damage, while harassing even more.

When the opposite party knows who they're dealing with, don't you think they'd be more inclined to hurt the sea shepherd's ship before it hurts them?
You can't put everyone into the same box. Some people are idiots and do stupid shit without realizing the consequences. Again this is topic is about whales.
Exactly! Some people are more radical than others, and they do stupid shit without really thinking it through. The mother organization sea shepherd used to belong to summarizes this pretty nicely as follows;
Greenpeace has called Watson a violent extremist and will no longer comment on his activities.[14] Greenpeace is also critical of the group on its website and state: "By making it easy to paint anti-whaling forces as dangerous, piratical terrorists, Sea Shepherd could undermine the forces within Japan which could actually bring whaling to an end"

I find myself disgusted by both sides of this argument.
i aim to please

Edit: small ninja rework done to prevent double posting.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”