roflwhalers - Page 2

roflwhalers

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SpliFF

Re: roflwhalers

Post by SpliFF »

There's a lot of dickheads who saw the footage from the Jap boat and figured, "hey that protest boat is coming closer, it must be accelerating!". Well, I gotta tell you that without a point of reference even a lighthouse would appear to be moving towards you when you're turning into it.

The real proof is the video from the Bob Barker (a third ship nearby). You can really see the Japs put the petal to the metal and swing their boat around about 30-40 degrees to clean up the speedboat. At the start of the video you can see down the left side of the boat, then before the impact it's right side on to the camera. Had they maintained their original course they would have passed about 40 - 50 meters away.

They only turn back about 4 seconds before impact and probably just to avoid killing the crew. That big ship may not look very manueverable but it pulls off those turns in seconds, it was really gunning it.

Whatever you think of whaling or greenies this is the naval equivalent of deliberately ramming a mini with a semi-trailer. A few meters more to the right would probably have killed most of the Ady Gil crew. If it had happened on the streets of any western country the Japanese crew would be in prison right now facing reckless endangerment charges.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCT2A4BPjA

As clearly seen here, the treehuggers simply got a taste of their own medicine. Mess with the bull and you get the horns.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Without actually being there I don't think anyone can say with a certainty that the Japanese deliberately tried to ram them. I think probably a combination of momentum, poor maneuverability, poor visibility (for the guy at the helm of the whalers), and ocean currents probably combined to cause the collision.

The whalers could have turned away (sooner?) and avoided the problem 100%, just as the hippies could have also turned away (sooner?) and avoided the problem 100%. My point is, a smart squirrel does not stare down a car and hope that it turns fast enough, it gets off the road.
SpliFF wrote:If it had happened on the streets of any western country the Japanese crew would be in prison right now facing reckless endangerment charges.
Joking aside about what would happen if a whaling boat was cruising down my street...

If we were on the highway in a hummer and some douchebag on a solid gold prototype flying motorcycle started swerving all over the place, trying to run us off the road, making an oil slick, dropping nails behind them, shining 200+ mw laser pointers in the driver's face... this would probably also have some consequences.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

i hope those "whale wars" idiots gets killed some day

hmm.. maybe by whales... that would be ironic.
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

Caydr wrote: If we were on the highway in a hummer and some douchebag on a solid gold prototype flying motorcycle started swerving all over the place, trying to run us off the road, making an oil slick, dropping nails behind them, shining 200+ mw laser pointers in the driver's face... this would probably also have some consequences.
LOL in my mind i actually made up a similar analogy for myself, the hummer, the highway, the weapons...

Seriously, the dickheads hoisted a pirate flag and then constantly annoyed and harassed what is more or less a fishing boat full of fishermen hoping to get fed and paid. Sure the collision could have been avoided but do you really think the douchebags with the 2m. batboat would have stopped harassing the fishermen?

Sorry, it is just that most of greenpeace activities have a tendency to disgust me. 2m was spent on a boat that looked cool but was not made for those waters, that could in no way effect whaling by any means and then it was filled with a crew of retards who will probably enjoy lots of PR hero fame and benefits while the fishermen onboard the whaling ship will be labeled as hardcore criminals (yeah sailing the 7 seas hoisting a pirate flag and harassing ships is a much more honest job than fishing to provide for a family).

Seeing this clip for the first time when it was posted here strenghtened my belief in karma.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

yeah they just throw bottles at their ship... and then they are protecting the nature or something, wow what a retards... do fucking something, shoot with nuke or anything, bottles are fucking stupid.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I hadn't heard anything about bottles, I thought I read something about chemicals and possibly resultant injuries.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

they threw those chemicals with bare hands? or spilled by a hose? what a retards.
knorke

Post by knorke »

This futuristic looking ship was originally called "Earthrace" and set the record for fastet trip around the earth. So yeah it might have cost 2 millions dollars to construct and its very fast but its probally useless for most purposes. Don't think its "worth 2 millions" anymore (even before the collision, he) or comparable to "gold chains."
Just like that once high tech russian space space shuttle that now rosts in some scrapyard.
So if they got the ship "for free", why shouldnt they use it?

Of course calling it "unprovoked attack" is stupid, its kind of the idea to force the whaling ships to change course/get rammed to delay them. And it seems to work, I think the whale hunting institute of japan said last year they could not hunt as many whales as wished because of sabotage acts. (Or they just could not find enough whales anymore)

The reason why Japan hunts whales is also quite stupid, they do not even have a large demand for their flesh. Afaik one reason is, the oceans are getting empty and whales consume lots of plancton so they are in competion with fishes that are fished for fishsticks.
Whales were usually hunted for kind of strange reasons, like 100 years ago the "Gr├Ânlandwal" was almost made extinct because the elastic material of this plancton filtersystem in their mouth was used to construct lots of important stuff*. So they basically took out this "whalebone" and sunk the rest of the body. Compare with elephants and their tusk.

*=Most importanly it was used for corsets which might made it like 1% less gay, but still.

No idea what/if any bottles the hippies threw this time but previously butyric acid has been used, which just smells very bad but is not harmful. Whale dudes usually throw flashbands, smoke grenades and such.

For a background the book of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McTaggart is quite interessting, he used a small sailing ship to drive into an area where France was to performan nuke tests. So its not about whales but it describes the atmosphere on such a ship and the maneuvers the military used to get them to give up/sail away.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

Fucking hippies man, its a big ship. IT DOESN'T STOP ON A DIME AND YOU'RE NOT WORTH A DIME, GTFO OUT OF THE WAY NEXT TIME.

Also, they're dumbasses, you don't picket the fishermen, you chain yourself to the exec of the company, he's not got watercannons and several thousand tons of metal on him*

*Unless he's mecha-exec
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_mammals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_species

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_en ... th_America

Like were in any position to say that the japs are doing something wrong.

Also, Greenpeace IS a known terrorist organization, and iirc they even tried to board 'n take over some hauler carrying biodiesel in the baltic sea, which was prevented by the borderguards.

also; Imagine these hippie fucks doing anything like this to a russian whaler. They and their families would prolly disappear magically within a few days
smoth

Post by smoth »

Sleksa wrote:Like were in any position to say that the japs are doing something wrong.
yeah I know, I will be surprised if the alligator snapping turtle, gopher tortoise or diamond backed terrapin will survive the next century :(.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

You know what's awesome? Species are often classified as endangered if they're simply not popular in a given location - even if they're super-popular somewhere else. So it's perfectly fine to destroy their natural habitats in a place where they thrive, but oh no, don't you dare come near the ones living in a bloody volcano or you'll get eaten by environmentalists.

This has all kinds of idiotic effects on, among many other things, the progress of civilization in some areas. "No, you may not build your water treatment plant, we saw what may have been a furry goat-platypus in the neighboring desert last year. Build it over in that rain forest instead."

I've got a great idea to get a bunch of animals off the endangered list: just kill them all. The ones left behind will have more food and thrive, so we can eat even more of them guilt-free. In fact, if we DIDN'T eat them, they might overrun the area. More food for everyone! Do your part for the kids in Africa, kill (and optionally, eat) endangered species.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

everything that looks cute are being called that
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI0kmTWKYs

haha theyre making a tv serie out of this? =D
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

If I were on the whaling ship and were the captain, I'd give a warning and then sink the fuckers. Fuck this bullshit! Getting acid thrown at you? Fuck using flashbangs, use FRAG NADES!

Greenpeace is a terrorist organization.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Forboding Angel wrote:If I were on the whaling ship and were the captain, I'd give a warning and then sink the fuckers. Fuck this bullshit! Getting acid thrown at you? Fuck using flashbangs, use FRAG NADES!

Greenpeace is a terrorist organization.
Do you ever actually listen to your own crap? You take every opportunity you can to bitch about hippies, then you bitch about them being TOO violent, then you applaud escalated violence? Make up your mind!

Your life rant appears to be that violence is only justified for profit.

Oh, and the acid you're bitching about is butyric acid which is no more acidic than citric acid (orange juice). It just stinks a lot and is probably slippery.

By your own worldview, since I've now attacked your character, you need to hunt me down and kill me. It might take you a long time but clearly the effort must be justified.

Oh, and Sea Sheperd isn't Greenpeace. In fact (wikipedia):

"Greenpeace has called Watson a violent extremist and will no longer comment on his activities.[14] Greenpeace is also critical of the group on its website and state: "By making it easy to paint anti-whaling forces as dangerous, piratical terrorists, Sea Shepherd could undermine the forces within Japan which could actually bring whaling to an end".[43] Both groups protest the Japanese whale hunts in the Southern Ocean but Greenpeace has a policy to not assist Sea Shepherd in finding the whalers."

I guess facts never get in the way of making yourself appear stupid, do they?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Sleksa wrote: Also, Greenpeace IS a known terrorist organization, and iirc they even tried to board 'n take over some hauler carrying biodiesel in the baltic sea, which was prevented by the borderguards.
Relevant bit bolded.

So Sea Shepherd isn't part of greenpeace. OMG WHAT A WE GONNAS DOES?!!?!?!?! If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it may not be part of the flock, but it's still a duck.
You take every opportunity you can to bitch about hippies, then you bitch about them being TOO violent, then you applaud escalated violence? Make up your mind!
I wish you would slow down and read... First of all, no I don't. I don't remember ever referencing hippies before except perhaps in a snide remark. Sea Shepherd isn't being violent? What do you call stink bombs, disruption of "traffic" and just generally being a bag of dicks? Aggression in this form is still violence of a sort. AN yes, if I were on the whaler, I'd sink the bastards. Fuck with the bull, get the horns.

How would you take it if you were driving to the library, and I (naturally HATING LIBRARIES WITH A PASSION BECAUSE OMG THEY KILLED THE RAINFOREST AND MICHAEL JACKSON AND OMG OMG OMG WTF?!?!?!) decided that you were a bastard for going to the library. So as a way of deterring you, I start throwing stinky acid at your car, giving you the finger, shouting at you over a loudspeaker, swerving in your lane, and jsut generally being a serious prick... You're telling me that the right reaction for you is to not go to the library and to shake my hand for being a good "World Citizen"?

You can attack my character all you want, I could care less, just because you can spout crap doesn't mean that it's any less than what it is... Crap.
I guess facts never get in the way of making yourself appear stupid, do they?
I'm guessing that thought and reasoning skills don't play a key role in your day to day life. Nor do they play any role in making you look less like you're frothing at the mouth right now, and personally, I find it funny.

Edit: About sinking, I'm dead serious. That doesn't mean that you can't rescue the sorry bastards once their shit sinks. About frag nades, that was obviously an over-reactive joke (People do it a lot on these forums, get used to it).
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Go submit a resume to fox news. In all seriousness they would LOVE you.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

You basically described what happened anyway; The captain DID go road-rage on the protestors and they didn't see it coming. Ramming a speedboat with a ship that big is a HUGE escalation over throwing ropes and smelly liquids. You're apparently endorsing violent escalation as a means to solve disputes while simultaneously criticising violent protests. My logic says that makes no sense.

To say that they could just be rescued is a huge over-simplification. There were crew inside the speedboat only metres from the impact point and the Japanese captain did NOT stop to assist. The survival of the crew was just luck.
Forboding Angel wrote:You're telling me that the right reaction for you is to not go to the library and to shake my hand for being a good "World Citizen"?
No. However attempted manslaughter isn't the correct response either.

I've said my piece. Just add me to your list of expendable dems/lefties/tree-huggers you can run over in your car and get on with life. I just hope you research your spring news better than you research your world news.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”