Best Browser: ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!! - Page 2

Best Browser: ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Best Browser: ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN OF ULTIMATE DESTINY!!

Post by FLOZi »

overkill wrote:
jK wrote:real geeks use a highly customized opera
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Just remember noobs that if you have a doubt between firefox and chrome, you should download MINEFIELD (alpha of next firefox) which will immediately sway you to firefox.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

d_b wrote:Just remember noobs that if you have a doubt between firefox and chrome, you should download MINEFIELD (alpha of next firefox) which will immediately sway you to firefox.
The reality of the situation is, I don't care very much about using the best possible web browser. I've switched to chrome, I've got chrome set up the way I like it, and I'll keep using it until it won't do something I want it to, or it stops working correctly. I used to use firefox, and then it broke and wouldn't load up on my computer for one distribution. During that time I tried Chrome and Opera because I would rather die than regularly use IE, I didn't like the order of the way Opera handled tabs. I think it put every new tab in the beginning instead of the end, so if you're clicking through a web comic from the earliest entry to the latest (the way every web comic is set up) the tabs are all in the wrong order to read the comic. Or maby it forced you to look at a new tab you opened or something. Anyways, it was probably something customizable, but I didn't have to play with chrome so much to get it working the way I liked it, and it had a really nice minimalist look that I could never get firefox to do for me.

I might have gone back to firefox because I had alot of favorites and plugins I installed, but when it started working again I realized that chrome had much faster load times the way I used it for whatever reason. So I had a few favorites and customizations into chrome, and that was enough.

The way I have chrome set up right now works for me, so I won't change no matter how much "better" firefox gets.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Does chrome have a bookmarks toolbar like FF?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Das Bruce wrote:Does chrome have a bookmarks toolbar like FF?
Sort of, Chrome has a row of one touch bookmarks, and at the end of that row you get "other bookmarks" in which you can set any type of folder system you want.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Das Bruce wrote:Does chrome have a bookmarks toolbar like FF?
Yes. It does.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

d_b wrote:Most of us just like our groundless gut feelings, so just go by that.
Hrrmm...

d_b wrote:MAY THE BEST BROWSER WIN!
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Now with more advanced alien technology.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Chrome mainly because firefox is a resource hungry bastard.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

I use firefox.
1. It has the adblock add-on, which I could not live without (and some other add-ons as well)
2. It is quite constumizable
3. Not very slow in rendering pages
and finally:
4. It is not microsuck (DOWN WITH IE6!!)

I like the vision of chrome though: running every tab seperately. it would be nice if they put that in FF as well :)
Chrome mainly because firefox is a resource hungry bastard.
the other downside of ff.. It was fixed in FF 3.0, but they seem to have brought it back to its original hunger
MidKnight wrote:My main problem with Chrome is that it is made by Google, the same company that controls my search and email info. Nonetheless, I run Chrome and Firefox side by side when I surf. 8)
Do you remember their first license agreement? It had a point in there somewhere that "everything you do with this browser belongs to google".. Fortunately they removed that, but it made me deinstall, and never install again.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Reasons for Opera

*Not IE
*Very fast and lightweight (not as much as chrome, though)
*Interface is Extremely customizable
*Speed dial....
*Built in Ad block, Grease monkey, and countless other things you normally need 50 ad dons for..
*Opera Unite is quite useful to share things with RL friends without hassle (yeah, i bugged all of mine into opera)
*Since my Internet goes through random bouts of slowness, opera turbo boost is a life saver in some cases
*Mouse gestures
*I can easily sync everything about my browser between my phone, desktop, laptop, anything.

I tried Chrome and Firefox this week, i just could not see myself switching, opera has some important feature they could not replace. And the little things, opera seems like the most complete browser, i don't need 50 add ons for basic usability, and 50 more to make my interface not suck ass....
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

overkill wrote:Reasons for Opera

*Not IE
*Very fast and lightweight (not as much as chrome, though)
*Interface is Extremely customizable
*Speed dial....
*Built in Ad block, Grease monkey, and countless other things you normally need 50 ad dons for..
*Opera Unite is quite useful to share things with RL friends without hassle (yeah, i bugged all of mine into opera)
*Since my Internet goes through random bouts of slowness, opera turbo boost is a life saver in some cases
*Mouse gestures
*I can easily sync everything about my browser between my phone, desktop, laptop, anything.

I tried Chrome and Firefox this week, i just could not see myself switching, opera has some important feature they could not replace. And the little things, opera seems like the most complete browser, i don't need 50 add ons for basic usability, and 50 more to make my interface not suck ass....
I'd probably be using Opera right now if the default tabbing intellegence didn't annoy me, or if it wasn't buried so deeply how to change that feature.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

1 more thing:
opera is known to follow the w3c standard quite closely (and is therefore pretty much the opposite of microsuck internet exploder)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Dev and beta builds of chrome has automatic bookmark syncing built in, the bookmark toolbar on the new tab page can be set to work like the firefox bookmark bar and display all the time.

As for all the google has this google has that, privacy privacy blah, I point you at chromium, the open source free non-google branded version of chrome:

http://www.chromium.org
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Teutooni wrote:Image
She really needs to trim that bikini line
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Well, so far Firefox/Minefield is winning. Internet Explorer is in second place. Then Chrome, then Opera.

Pretty much what i expected.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

d_b wrote:Well, so far Firefox/Minefield is winning. Internet Explorer is in second place. Then Chrome, then Opera.

Pretty much what i expected.
Winning what? Firefox is ahead of IE in total usage numbers?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

GO FIREFOX GO

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”