ISP Copyright notices

ISP Copyright notices

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheBigPK

ISP Copyright notices

Post by TheBigPK »

Have you guys received one for infringement? I've gotten two in the last 6 months. Got rid of utorrent and wiped the infringing files.
AF
AI Developer

Re: ISP Copyright notices

Post by AF »

Usenet + 256bit SSL ftw
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't do illegal things like that...
Regret

Post by Regret »

smoth wrote:I don't do illegal things like that...
Traitor.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Never have, but I don't hoist the Jolly Roger very often.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Downloading crap is legal in Canada, distributing is probably illegal.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the skull 'n bones is still a safe flag in the UK
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

SinbadEV wrote:Downloading crap is legal in Canada, distributing is probably illegal.
Source? I live in Ontario...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Sheekel wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:Downloading crap is legal in Canada, distributing is probably illegal.
Source? I live in Ontario...
My buddy rob...
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

"[edit] 2007: RCMP Tolerates Piracy for Personal Use

Around the same time that the CRIA successfully took Demonoid offline, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) made it clear that pursuing DemonoidÔÇÖs users is not a priority for them. Demonoid came back online in April 2008, but is now hosted in Ukraine.[17]

According to the RCMP it is impossible to track down everyone who downloads music or movies off the Internet. The police simply do not have the time nor the resources to go after filesharers.[18]

ÔÇ£Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,ÔÇØ No├½l St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir. ÔÇ£It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it,ÔÇØ he added.

St-Hilaire explained that they would rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances, as well as ones that affect organized crime."

tl;dr: the police don't give a fuck. HAIL THIS SIDE OF THE COMMON WEALTH.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Here (in the Netherlands) it's same, downloading is (still*) legal, uploading isn't.

* Downloading falls under home-copy law, same law that allows us to make a copy of e.g. a CD to have one copy for in car and one for in home or to have one as backup. IIRC they were designing a new law tho that would exclude downloading.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I got a couple while I was with Rogers, then set protocol encryption to forced and disallowed incoming legacy connections. Doesn't affect my speed any, but probably if you were looking for niche items you'd have a hard time every now and then.

I don't know if the encryption is what did it, or my switch to Teksavvy Internet, but I haven't had a notice in the 5 years since, and I'm a very flawed individual.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Muzic wrote:"[edit] 2007: RCMP Tolerates Piracy for Personal Use

Around the same time that the CRIA successfully took Demonoid offline, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) made it clear that pursuing DemonoidÔÇÖs users is not a priority for them. Demonoid came back online in April 2008, but is now hosted in Ukraine.[17]

According to the RCMP it is impossible to track down everyone who downloads music or movies off the Internet. The police simply do not have the time nor the resources to go after filesharers.[18]

ÔÇ£Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,ÔÇØ No├½l St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir. ÔÇ£It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it,ÔÇØ he added.

St-Hilaire explained that they would rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances, as well as ones that affect organized crime."

Basically, the stance is, "it's illegal but we're not going to try to catch you, or punish you for it."
Sgt Doom

Post by Sgt Doom »

I'm not sure Finnish ISPs give a shit, though I keep it to a minimum in case they do.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

To ISP's, piraters are paying customers. They won't do shit unless pressured really hard. And most authorities don't have the will and/or resources to do that.
aegis

Post by aegis »

privateers? ^_^
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

In the UK we're at the mercy of the impending Digital Economy bill, which was recently proposed by a certain corrupt incompetent peter mandelson, who mere days before had been to dinner with a certain geffen of the hollywood billionaire club.

The contents of said bill are draconian, and horrible, they put all other countries laws in the shade. It would allow peter mandelson to appoint a pirateer general, who can do anything he likes, even change existing legislation, as long as its done in the name of anti-piracy.

Imagine, the law being changed to allow police to enter your home and indefinitely sieze your equipment without warrant. Not official police either, but police appointed and employed by the entertainment industry, who do not answer to anybody but their bosses in hollywood.

And when they've rooted through your machines and found the tiny 1kb file that suggests you did something they dont like, a new offence is made up to make it illegal, and then a jail term penalty is officially announced and your prosecuted and sent to jail.

This ontop of an ISP bill which has shot up dramatically because your ISP now has to monitor every packet you've been sending and keep meticulous logs.

This from a man who has been forced to resign twice in the UK over sleeze allegations, and was caught out fiddling aluminium prices as EU trade minister in exchange for cushy benefits from russian aluminium oligarchs, nevermind his trade dinners with gaddafi in libye prior to the lockerby bombers release.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

The mind really boggles that Brown brought Lord Vad.. Mandy back, AGAIN.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Muzic wrote:"[edit] 2007: RCMP Tolerates Piracy for Personal Use

Basically, the stance is, "it's illegal but we're not going to try to catch you, or punish you for it."

which... thanks to a case based legal system means it's effectively decriminalized... Rogers... as a company with a vested interest in the Movie and Music Industry Monopoly sends out those warnings out of it's own self interest... just like Time Warner does.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”