What Peet Took ( and what he declined to share )

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Since those of you trying to read unformatted html files that have been modified by peet, where entire pages are missing from the archive, threads that just aren't included because he's cherry picked the things he wants to put out...

This forum is a start of an attempt to write out ideas I had about programs and projects I was going to build, or was already building.

I invited people to come and see and comment and eventually help on the condition they did not compromise the secrecy.

Along the way some people where removed, foreboding due to inactivity and a rather animated forum post on these forums, hugh perkins ebcause he raised the query about what is he to do when he sees an idea of mine that someone else has alreayd had yet he's been sworn to secrecy, or people who weren't invited to begin with for various reasons, be they too controversial such as Argh, or involvement in rival projects ( aegis, most of CA and springlobby and QTLobby people )

So since peet waltzed in and hacked the forums and decided to use it to get at me, the golden rule is broken, and all the code I have is going towards other projects unrelated to spring.

Since I never completed my writeups, and didnt scan most of my sketches, this is but a fraction of what detail I had. University has sapped the spare time I've had for this lately.

This is what was in Icarus when it was cracked open thoughSo I leave you with what you could have had, and inspiration for those developers who can.

http://www.darkstars.co.uk/forumd/
Gedanken

Re: What Peet Took ( and what he declined to share )

Post by Gedanken »

let the nerd rage commence
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Oh balls...multipage threads. I figured I was missing something that silly. edit: oh ok so there are no multipage threads. Frankly I don't know what I missed then.

Either way thank you. My original intent has been realized, sidestepping all of the....in between.

There are some good ideas in there and I think they should be realized by the community as a whole rather than via cloak and dagger development.
Last edited by Peet on 17 Nov 2009, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Somehow I don't think the rest of the community sees it that way
lurker

Post by lurker »

Can you be more specific? What's missing from Peet's dump that existed when he made it? Posts by Neddie made after that clearly don't count.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

It was not the rest of the community that broke into your forum :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I stress it was not cloak and dagger development.

In the meantime, since it would be a horrific show of hypocrisy not to answer my request, I am requesting peet not be allowed to post in this thread. The request has been made before by me and other posters and ahs been granted by various moderators, I expect at the very least peet can obey that simple a command and leave alone.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Such requests are normally made to stop someone from repeatedly butting in on a thread that has no relevance to them. Is there going to be discussion that it's important to keep Peet out of? Why so?

Wait, I actually missed this phrase the first time I read your post. "horrific show of hypocrisy not to answer my request" You realize you're asking for a favor, right?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Swiftspear has in the past granted this request on the basis of the original poster. Even satirik in the past has been forced to withdraw from my threads by moderators because I have asked him not to post and he has ignored the request.

Peets only intention here is to score points at my expense else he would have gone hours ago.

If his intentions where purely to expose my project he could have done so without the trolling and prodding and poking, or the attempts to take parts of forum posts and twist them to turn people against me.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Point made, Peet stay in the other thread.
Regret

Post by Regret »

lurker wrote:Point made, Peet stay in the other thread.
Ridiculous censorship is ridiculous. Denying users to post in a thread is childish, if someone misbehaves punish him, if he didn't do anything yet then don't. This is not minority report and AF is just looking to get back at Peet with this.

Hint: he even included his name in topic.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I don't really care, everyone is bickering. Any other mod can change this decision without contacting me, go convince them.
Regret

Post by Regret »

lurker wrote:I don't really care, everyone is bickering. Any other mod can change this decision without contacting me, go convince them.
Why not just lock the threads and let the kids resolve it in PM?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Peet can steer clear, I don't care these days unless he waltzes in and starts meddling like he has done, let that be the end of that subject. Whats done is done.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Because I think it's mostly settled and I would like to see some real discussion of what ideas are there in the threads, why AF feels that he can't do this without complete secrecy, etc.
Regret

Post by Regret »

lurker wrote:why AF feels that he can't do this without complete secrecy, etc.
I have a theory. If people knew about the ideas then he may not be the first one to implement them and boost his ego, which really is only thing that comes to mind when thinking about how silly this occurrence is.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Can we please have Regret removed for trolling?

When I worked on AFLobby and early NTai I saw what it would be like, and I didnt find those experiences too enjoyable as time grew on. Forum politics, expectations, promises, demands, pressure, competition.

I would rather work instead in my own environment free of all those hassles to work on something fundamentally different without having to worry about whether my feature set matches that of a rival project, or the whole business of playing catchup.

Think of it as more of a walled garden to keep out the riff raff.

Aside from that, what I was building would be engine agnostic for the most part. I was willing to put the extra work in to have spring engine support and help the community in the long run, but I knew I could easily dip into a different engine project. Sure the official glest devs weren't exactly nice, but the fork devs where, and the TA3D and Warzone 2100 people where welcoming and listened without judging me by a history on the spring boards that started in my mid teens.

Why did I not keep to myself? Feedback, I cant just work on ideas on my own, certain ideas I have I need feedback and others ideas and opinions.

So Im going to add other people in, how do I prevent the whole thing becoming what I wanted to avoid but with my stuff on a different domain? That was the whole point of the secrecy. I didn't want competition, and my projects didn't quite correlate with the traditional frields here. What do you class a file site that has no concrete structure and behaves more like an app store at the client end and a cms at the other?

What then if the other projects read up on my project and start taking bits and changing their own concept of what their programs purpose is to fit closer to mine by implementing various features and borrowing ideas? I don't want rivals or duplications. You can see I scrapped one mini project because of hugh perkins AI ladder project, hence my codeigniter php league didn't get very far at all

Of course there are things I deliberately avoided mentioning in those forums, and stuff I didnt get round to writting or uploading.
Regret

Post by Regret »

AF wrote:Can we please have Regret removed for trolling?

This is not your website nor forum that you can ban who you want when you find them uncomfortable. And I am not trolling, I just said how I see it from my neutral point of view since I wasn't involved.

From your explanation I see that competition concerns you. But competition is the driving force of progress. For example I made 2 UI frameworks despite there already being one very good and other even better in development. Having rivals motivates people to make better things than they did, and in the end provides everyone with better products.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I wrote an AI and competitively developed it for years I think I understand the value of competition well, and here I made a distinct decision not to involve myself in it.
Regret

Post by Regret »

AF wrote:I made a distinct decision not to involve myself in it.
Why? I makes no sense unless you are aiming to gain money from knowing how JJs site works etc.

Where's the logic? It's free stuff for good of the community.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”