Windows 7

Windows 7

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Windows 7

Post by Jazcash »

I was happy to make my free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 yesterday. Everything went smoothly and so far, Windows 7 is sex on fire.

Had no errors yet and played around with a lot of it's new functions and features. Defo > Vista.

Anyone else made the switch yet?
Master-Athmos

Re: Windows 7

Post by Master-Athmos »

Out of interest:
Did the upgrade work as "patch" or does one have to completely delete Vista and install 7 from the ground up?

I could switch from XP to 7 simply by asking someone at the university (-> MSDNAA) but I see no reason to switch. I don't care that much about DirectX 10 / 11 (next to no game I own could use it anyway), I don't badly need 64Bit and ... well that's where the major advantages end imo...
overkill

Post by overkill »

Do some research, Windows 7 is the best thing microsoft has done for a long, long while. I myself am far to lazy to upgrade........since most of my time is on linux.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

overkill wrote:Do some research, Windows 7 is the best thing microsoft has done for a long, long while.
^^ A wise man speaketh
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Haven't gotten around to upgrading from xp on my pc yet, but my netbook is running 7. Surprisingly, it runs considerably faster than xp did. Oh, and in xp I had to install about 5 drivers for things like the wireless card and sound. 7 seems to have a much more expansive library of device drivers; everything worked out of the box.

The ribbons in mspaint and wordpad are dismal though.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I have a fanboy on my facebook who claims windows XP is prettier than windows 7 and faster, I lold hard
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Master-Athmos wrote:Out of interest:
Did the upgrade work as "patch" or does one have to completely delete Vista and install 7 from the ground up?

I could switch from XP to 7 simply by asking someone at the university (-> MSDNAA) but I see no reason to switch. I don't care that much about DirectX 10 / 11 (next to no game I own could use it anyway), I don't badly need 64Bit and ... well that's where the major advantages end imo...
Yeh, I did originally want to wipe everything from Vista when I made the upgrade but found no format option avalible. So rather than having to make a new start, bringing your junk with you is the only way to go :<

There are a significant amount of new features and processes made more efficient compared to XP and if you're using Vista, this is all the more reason to make the upgrade.

However, it's quite smart to stick anything that's not Vista until you need to make the upgrade. If Vista never happened, you'd be much more inclined to go for 7 :P

@AF: Yeh, there's always some fanbois hanging around rippin Microsoft for anything they make since "Vista" happened :P

I think Windows 7 is basically just the finished version of what Vista was supposed to be. Because they were rushed to meet deadlines with Vista, they couldn't make it what they wanted it to be. And rather than admitting that, they made it a seperate OS in it's own entitiy for teh moneys.

Anyone still backing XP is going to find themselves stuck at the bottom of a pit sooner or later.
aegis

Post by aegis »

JAZCASH wrote:no format option avalible
maybe need to look harder?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

aegis wrote:
JAZCASH wrote:no format option avalible
maybe need to look harder?
Probably, but it wasn't in it's normal place.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Everytime I ask why Windows 7 is so good I fail to get a sensible answer. One person told me "because it has a Windows XP compatibility mode" which made me laugh since my XP is 100% XP compatible already. I run XP with litestep for my bling (not a resource hog like aero) and the question remains:

Other than losing a gigabyte of RAM to OS processes, and gaining DX11 (which my graphics card doesn't support) what possible reason can you give me to upgrade?

I should also point out there doesn't appear to be drivers for my Hercules Game Theatre XP.

It sounds to me like Vista was so crap that everyone who runs it thinks windows 7 is marvelous but as someone who never made that mistake I really don't see what the hype is all about. Please enlighten, what MUST HAVE features am I missing?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

XP actually sucks pretty badly.

Spliff, it's one of those things you ahve to use before you'll ever truly understand. It runs better, and faster than xp. 64 bit support, and the best gui in an OS that I have seen so far, which that alone is a huge reason to switch.

Oh, and "Libraries"; the best thing since "subst".
Gota

Post by Gota »

That's all hype talk.
Getting it now is silly.
If I will upgrade to 7 it will ONLY be after service pack 1,not sooner.
I have my XP fully upgraded and it works fine.
Do i really need to upgrade to get a slightly better gui and some transperancy?for the resources it eats I doubt it.

Iv seen videos on youtube demonstrating windows 7...some stuff are cool but i doubt they will shorten my time wasted in gui handling by much...
I think someone worked extra hours in Micro$oft's marketing department...
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

do a clean install.

7 is the nicest windows to date. First one I can boot up without killing myself. They forgot to put so many bugs in it, so alot of microsoft employees are going to lose their jobs.

so, pretty good in my opinion.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I've had it running for a few weeks now, it works, is fairly fast, I mostly unfucked the GUI, really all you can ask for from a Windows. My reason for upgrading was that they were going to abandon XP security patches. Throwing a calender on my desktop is reasonably useful but I don't really see any other advantages over XP.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

Microsoft released a new windows so you have to upgrade, you see
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Forboding Angel wrote:XP actually sucks pretty badly.

Spliff, it's one of those things you ahve to use before you'll ever truly understand. It runs better, and faster than xp. 64 bit support, and the best gui in an OS that I have seen so far, which that alone is a huge reason to switch.

Oh, and "Libraries"; the best thing since "subst".
That's no real argumentation imo...

I don't know why XP should "suck badly". It runs totally stable for me just as every software I want to use. It's also not really slower than 7 when it comes to its performance. Having 64Bit support of course is nice but won't make everything faster just because you have it available. The number of software I use which could use that is extremely small and the 64Bit advantage isn't that big either...

When it comes to the GUI Aero is the first thing I'd turn off again so that's no real argument either. I also don't spam my desktop with widgets / gadgets or whatever there is now and the changes in e.g. in the start menu aren't that significant...

So right now I see no urge in paying like 150 Ôé¼ for pretty much nothing that gives me any real advantage but makes some of my games / software unplayable. Some might work due to the XP mode but as that one isn't made for gaming some of my older games won't work anymore (and I doubt the already XP-fighting Final Fantasy VII will still work then)...

I'll probably switch to 7 or a follower at some point but I see no reason to switch right now...
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Personally, i don't see anything wrong with vista, and even though i have a free upgrade to windows 7 ulti, its going to probably be a lot more hassle than i want to upgrade than to live with a cpu thats like 4% slower because it has a slightly bigger OS.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

Other than losing a gigabyte of RAM to OS processes, and gaining DX11 (which my graphics card doesn't support) what possible reason can you give me to upgrade?
Actually, this is a wide misconception about memory usage. Yes, with XP your constant memory usage might be much lower than with 7 and i have no quarrels with that claim. But i guess roughly the main difference would be this:

In XP, less memory is used and allocated when you are surfing the web etc. but electricity is still being run through the memory blocks which means these resources are just going to waste.

In 7, more memory is used by the OS when surfing etc., but when you start something that needs alot of RAM, it will allocate free memory plus all the memory it can from the amount that was previously used by the OS in the background. As wierd as it may sound, 7 actually wastes less memory.

I installed 7 on my laptop and left an up to date with fixes but stripped out of unneccessary processes XP for my PC. The laptop used to have the same configuration and had a fresh HDD and XP on it. When i put 7 on it, there were no visible performance changes even with the 1gb ram my laptop had. To top it off, it is extremely comfortable to use (how it manages different windows took a few days to adjust to) and eye pleasing. The result is that i switched my PC to 7 too and have had no regrets.

While it might be cool to be hip apple fanatic / linux elitist and bash everything that comes from MS, it seems that this time MS has managed to pull it off quite well.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”