Torchlight - Page 2

Torchlight

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22295
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Torchlight

Post by smoth » 30 Oct 2009, 17:24

Otherside wrote: Eventually it will be released as a free to play MMO action rpg in 2 years or so.
lost all interest right here.
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Torchlight

Post by Otherside » 30 Oct 2009, 18:01

smoth wrote:
Otherside wrote: Eventually it will be released as a free to play MMO action rpg in 2 years or so.
lost all interest right here.
wont be the same game will be a game based on it.


the modding tools look awesome
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Torchlight

Post by Otherside » 30 Oct 2009, 18:05

Spawn_Retard wrote:
Otherside wrote:k might aswell ask this thread to be closed its full of trolling and stupid opinions of people who obviously havent played the game and are just flinging comments around because they are bored.

Nice to know you cant even have a proper discussion about a game on these boards anymore.

(alternatively just delete all of spawns/regrets posts)
Why cant you accept that it isnt worth $20?


From the videos i saw on the website, i would expect this game to be a free open source RPG.

It really doesnt looked polished, and the art style is unoriginal.

EDIT: i like how anyone that gives an opinion other than what you want to hear, is deemed trolling.

really, if you want 100% of the community to agree on what you say, go post on their forums.

1) you havent played it

2) if your gonna bash a game cos of art style GTFO really you sound like one of the kiddies who bashes LoL for its art style without proper critique. And you lose any credibility in your posts when you do so

3) and you cant comment on polish if you havent played it. I have and its one of the most bug free on release games ive ever played it has a ton of polish that videos on youtube wont show

check the reviews general consensus its well worth 20 dollars

and what the hell is 20 dollars anywayz ? less than 2 hours work for alot of people big woop imo games are pretty cheap and people going around zomg 20 dollars is to much are tarded idiots who are either students who piss there money away on drinks/smoking or people who are pirating cheapskates..
0 x

User avatar
RogerN
Posts: 238
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 23:29

Re: Torchlight

Post by RogerN » 30 Oct 2009, 18:35

I wanted to like the Torchlight demo, but for some reason it just doesn't draw me in. I enjoyed Diablo and Diablo II, and I agree 100% that Torchlight feels almost exactly like Diablo. But something just isn't clicking for me... I find myself feeling bored after about 20 minutes.

The graphics are OK. They seem a little dark on my dated CRT monitor, so I wish there was a brightness control, but it's still playable as-is. I wish some of the effects were a little less flashy, but that's just personal preference.

Maybe it's the transition to 3D that's bothering me? Diablo's 2D art felt grittier or something. Or maybe it's something about the levels - Torchlight feels a *lot* more linear to me than Diablo's random levels.

I'd just recommend that everyone try the demo before shelling out $20.

EDIT: I bet this game looks incredible with 3D glasses, it has just the right camera angles and variety of depth. Has anyone tried it yet with shutter glasses or something?
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7015
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Torchlight

Post by zwzsg » 30 Oct 2009, 18:53

knorke wrote:somebody should make a car combat rpg game.
like interstate '76 but more open world.
There was Auto Assault, but it failed.
0 x

User avatar
Spawn_Retard
Posts: 1248
Joined: 21 Dec 2006, 14:36

Re: Torchlight

Post by Spawn_Retard » 30 Oct 2009, 20:28

Otherside wrote:
Spawn_Retard wrote:
Otherside wrote:k might aswell ask this thread to be closed its full of trolling and stupid opinions of people who obviously havent played the game and are just flinging comments around because they are bored.

Nice to know you cant even have a proper discussion about a game on these boards anymore.

(alternatively just delete all of spawns/regrets posts)
Why cant you accept that it isnt worth $20?


From the videos i saw on the website, i would expect this game to be a free open source RPG.

It really doesnt looked polished, and the art style is unoriginal.

EDIT: i like how anyone that gives an opinion other than what you want to hear, is deemed trolling.

really, if you want 100% of the community to agree on what you say, go post on their forums.

1) you havent played it

2) if your gonna bash a game cos of art style GTFO really you sound like one of the kiddies who bashes LoL for its art style without proper critique. And you lose any credibility in your posts when you do so

3) and you cant comment on polish if you havent played it. I have and its one of the most bug free on release games ive ever played it has a ton of polish that videos on youtube wont show

check the reviews general consensus its well worth 20 dollars

and what the hell is 20 dollars anywayz ? less than 2 hours work for alot of people big woop imo games are pretty cheap and people going around zomg 20 dollars is to much are tarded idiots who are either students who piss there money away on drinks/smoking or people who are pirating cheapskates..

Generally videos explain gameplay very well, infact i dont think theres ever been a video of a game that has been misleading, if i turned it off within the first 10 seconds or skipping 90% of it, you can tell how long it will be installed on my computer.

(proven with a few games).

I did not say at all the graphics were something to merit a game on, it was a merely continuation of the topic that was currently being addressed, that torchlight looking like WOW.

also, wooopdee doo, the game doesn't have any obvious bugs, that really doesn't make it an awesome game just because it plays like it was supposed to.

I dont want to spend any amount of money on a game that isnt worth buying, its the principle, and not the price that puts me off. I.E. if it was worth buying, i wouldnt mind paying £40-£80, which i have done.
0 x

User avatar
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer
Posts: 3359
Joined: 07 Nov 2007, 21:48

Re: Torchlight

Post by CarRepairer » 30 Oct 2009, 23:03

(word in quote enlarged for purpose of emphasis)
RogerN wrote:Torchlight feels almost exactly like Diablo. But something just isn't clicking for me...
LOL
0 x

User avatar
KDR_11k
Game Developer
Posts: 8293
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 08:44

Re: Torchlight

Post by KDR_11k » 01 Nov 2009, 12:40

It really is like Diablo and a ton of fun, the only issue I have so far is that it's way too easy to overlevel and completely overkill everything in the main story (currently my Destroyer can turn a whole army to giblets with one stomp of his feet...).

Also yeah, Torchlight generates extremely linear levels, not like the sprawling ones Diablo makes...
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Torchlight

Post by Otherside » 01 Nov 2009, 12:42

the challenging part is doing hardcore dives on vhard especially with destroyers.

getting to level 30 only to be killed by a mimic crit.

Also the infinite dungeon gets quite hard when you reach the higher levels.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14574
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Torchlight

Post by Forboding Angel » 01 Nov 2009, 12:47

Ehh, it's ok. Held my attention for a little bit, but too much of the game is repetitive. The cartoon textures don't put me off and the effects look quite nice, but the gameplay itself gets kinda snoozy after a while (imo).
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Torchlight

Post by Otherside » 01 Nov 2009, 12:52

Forboding Angel wrote:Ehh, it's ok. Held my attention for a little bit, but too much of the game is repetitive. The cartoon textures don't put me off and the effects look quite nice, but the gameplay itself gets kinda snoozy after a while (imo).
i agree it can get very repetitive more so than diablo but it has its advantages that you dont need to tp as much to sell (+ sendign your pet to sell is awesome) and the action is instant no need to walk around
0 x

User avatar
ralphie
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 08:39

Re: Torchlight

Post by ralphie » 01 Nov 2009, 16:23

What's the deal with "special" attacks not doing life/mana steal? Am i missing something?

As far as I can tell whole leech thing is pointless, since i'm never going to be autoattacking unless it's a few swing between mana pots.
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Torchlight

Post by Otherside » 01 Nov 2009, 16:57

dev's thought it would be OP'd they might patch it in later at reduced levels or you could always mod it :P.
0 x

User avatar
KDR_11k
Game Developer
Posts: 8293
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 08:44

Re: Torchlight

Post by KDR_11k » 01 Nov 2009, 18:43

I think I leech enough mana to recharge a special attack in one strike, if specials had the leech enabled I'd get more back than I invest every time.
Otherside wrote:the challenging part is doing hardcore dives on vhard especially with destroyers.

getting to level 30 only to be killed by a mimic crit.

Also the infinite dungeon gets quite hard when you reach the higher levels.
I can get challenge easily just by buying one of those maps, it's just the main quest that's too easy so far.
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7015
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Torchlight

Post by zwzsg » 02 Nov 2009, 00:27

I can see the Fate influence, but not the Diablo one.

And I still wish it was done more in the Alien Shooter style (that is, move with keyboard, aim with mouse), than the Hn2 style (click to move, or click to attack), wich forces to stand still when firing, making the game so much less interesting.
0 x

User avatar
KDR_11k
Game Developer
Posts: 8293
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 08:44

Re: Torchlight

Post by KDR_11k » 02 Nov 2009, 10:29

I think if you could run and shoot at the same time the game balancing would be completely off.
0 x

jeykey
Posts: 136
Joined: 28 May 2009, 16:24

Re: Torchlight

Post by jeykey » 02 Nov 2009, 17:41

interesting game, when there will be a linux port (which is currently in discussion) I will probably buy it...
0 x

User avatar
Neuralize
Posts: 876
Joined: 17 Aug 2004, 23:15

Re: Torchlight

Post by Neuralize » 02 Nov 2009, 20:07

Yeah, Torchlight is pretty freaking awesome, then again, I totally skipped out on WOW and Lord of Destruction, so maybe I don't know shit. I think they knew DIABLO III was coming out, so it was an obvious marketing decision to deviate the art direction of the game, making it a little more comic and exaggerated rather than realistic. My advice to people who are about to purchase this game, start your game in hard mode. It has been said on the forums that the game is balanced around this difficulty setting.
0 x

User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7015
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Torchlight

Post by zwzsg » 02 Nov 2009, 20:10

KDR_11k wrote:I think if you could run and shoot at the same time the game balancing would be completely off.
Well, it would off course have to be balanced accordingly. Making the enemy more resistant or the player shots less powerful to compensate for the possibility of avoiding and kitting mobs would restore the balance.

I've played a bit of the demo with the alchemist, and it made me wonder how really does the player makes a difference in the game. I mean, I walk a bit, shoot, run out of mana so endure an irritating wait while mana recharge, then walk some more, kill incoming enemies while standing still, but beside choosing the correct equipment, I can't really play worse or better. Any player, skilled or not, would do the exact same action. There's no avoiding the enemy shots, there's no challenge in aiming, so what is the core of gameplay? I hope it's not about checking the merchant wares every 5min to get cheap rare equipment, or about having luck with the enchant thing. I understand the drive to level up and greed for better equipment, but it would enjoy the game much more if the combat itself was more interesting.

It is of course not a flaw specific to Torchlight, I could say the same about any hack'n'slash.
0 x

User avatar
rattle
Damned Developer
Posts: 8278
Joined: 01 Jun 2006, 13:15

Re: Torchlight

Post by rattle » 02 Nov 2009, 20:45

Spawn_Retard wrote:It really doesnt looked polished, and the art style is unoriginal.
so's your face

Torchlight is fun, was considering going VHHC, as the game is way too easy on the other difficulties.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”