Halo 3 ODST

Halo 3 ODST

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Halo 3 ODST

Post by KaiserJ »

anyone else played it?

it deviates somewhat from the standard halo formula... shields are still there, but are called "adrenaline". once your adrenaline maxes, then you start to take damage, which must be repaired by finding medpacks (stops the questionable gameplay of "hide behind a rock for a few seconds and you're fine")

there is a "night vision" aspect of the game which pulls up a special hud in low light conditions that i feel interferes with the campaign gameplay and makes it less fun.

the campaign and storyline itself i feel is overdramatized, and fits directly in with the lameness of the commercials.

where this game REALLY shines, is in the firefight game-mode... imagine a "chicken mode" in halo... you play on a small map with limited resources, and have to face waves of enemies, which become progressively more difficult. you are rewarded for your kills not only with the dropped weapons, but with points... you get extra lives after a certain number of points (and after beating a certain number of waves) as well as a replenishment of your ammo stores.

unlike the standard halo 3 online, you can play a decent 4-way split screen game with noobs on your team and actually enjoy yourselves... previously, if you were splitscreening like that, you'd end up against a team of 4 people each on their own xbox, in a clan together, etc etc. this is the halo mode that you can force your girlfriend / grandpa / puppy to play with you, and they actually might enjoy it.

also people complained about "omg its not a full game" but really, it is... you get a campaign, online multiplayer (afaik, you can play with standard halo 3 players in their playlist) as well as a new game mode. also it comes with halo 1 in case you've been living in a cave. AND it comes with a beta invite for the next halo game.

might as well buy it if you already wasted your money on a 360.
aegis

Re: Halo 3 ODST

Post by aegis »

also, nathan fillion's sexy voice
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

very short, far to short for the amount of money i paid for it :/ (completed it on legandary solo campaign in under 5 hours.)

Its a really good concept which has brought life back into the halo franchise.

I really enjoyed the night vision HUD you can turn on and off, i also thought the revisions of the weapons were pretty sweet, and just feels superior when going back to playing halo 3.

That said, the game is still pretty unrealistic e.g. you have an invisible rechargeable sheild called "stamina", you can jump about 9 feet up in the air, it still takes a fuck load of ammo to take you down, and your still a one man army.

Few things im disappointed on is that bungie claimed it would be squad based, where infact your still on your own for most of the game, and your ally AI is pretty non existent.

On the subject of AI, the enemy AI has to be one of the worst ive seen out of a fps game in a while, i was often seeing enemies trying to climb walls, and thin air, while others didnt seem to react to my presence at all.

It also crashes a damn lot, and is nearly as buggy as supcom for xbox for saving shit. I did the final mission for the campaign about 4-5 times before it triggered my achievement to say i had completed it.

To me, this game was visually polished, but seemed hardly played, there was several sections of the campaign where you can just simply fall through the map. (something ive never seen bungie games do off the bat)

This brings me to firefight, theres several glitch spots, and dumb "hiding" locations around the levels they have on offer. E.g. a plain of glass you can hide behind is only about 2 inches thick, yet is just about everything proof. The worst is that the AI doesnt think to side step the glass and flank you from the right or left, just tries and fails to attack this pain of glass. Oh, i also forgot to mention that you can melee enemies through this glass if they come to close, as they appear just through it, and thus you can deal damage to them.

I loved playing a gears of war type horde mode, and i was playing it with a group of friends till gone 2 this morning, i just hope they have A LOT of downloadable content.

I would not advise this to anyone who doesnt like halo, and or have friends that play this game.

Although i really enjoyed the game, i dont think its really something you could play without knowing the halo universe.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Would you pay $60 dollars for CA if we tweaked some basic game mechanics, added 3 or 4 new units, and bundled it with a 8 hour long campaign? Please?
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

The problem with almost all "drop troop" games is that you only DROP once.

ODST are cool because of the ORBITAL DROP, not the Shock Troop (We've done that before).

Really, I think it would have been cooler to play an ODST game wherein you played through several important battles across several planets, so that you could drop multiple times and play around with the dropping mechanic (See Section 8 ).
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

ODST, from what I've seen, is nothing but a waste of talent. Bungie is capable of doing more, I'm more interested in seeing what they do with a new franchise.

Preferably one that doesn't have ewoks and at the same time try to be "SERIOUS!".

Halo: Reach (2010) is supposed to be their last Halo-themed game, but MS will probably farm the name out to some other company...
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

They should remake Pathways Into Darkness.

And they should keep it as viciously murderously evilly obscenely difficult as its original was.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Caydr wrote:
Halo: Reach (2010) is supposed to be their last Halo-themed game, but MS will probably farm the name out to some other company...
Reach is NOT being developed by Bungie, and its said to be a 3rd person over the shoulder tactical shooter, closer to rainbows six vegas 2.

Which actually follows the books closer, and doesn't make the whole idea of the Spartans being an unstoppable group cannon.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”