Steam: Complete Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series for $20

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It's an off topic forum, which means if you don't like my off-topic posts, you can **** off.

On Steam now is the complete Dark Forces aka Jedi Knight series. That's:
-Dark Forces (1994-ish? First FPS game that allowed you to jump IIRC and pretty sweet generally)
-Jedi Knight (1997-ish? Totally awesome multiplayer map design, and the single player campaign was incredibly well-made)
-Mysteries of the Sith (1998-ish? Never played it, I don't think the official team made it, it wasn't very well received IIRC)
-Jedi Outcast (2001-ish? Made force powers less of a hassle to use and was the last really good Star Wars game ever made besides KOTOR... IIRC)
-Jedi Academy (2002-ish? Strongly mediocre sequel but still pretty good)

Also Unreal Tournament 3 is $8 right now.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Steam: Complete Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series for $20

Post by NOiZE »

Caydr wrote:Also Unreal Tournament 3 is $8 right now.
Is UT3 still being played much?
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

The last thing I heard about UT3 is that you go online and find like 12 other players... :mrgreen:

Still I'm going to buy it the next days due to RENEGADE X. There also is this Mechwarrior mod which looks good...

In order to contribute a bit to the initial topic: In afaik November there'll be a Sith Edition of "The Force Unleashed" which provides all the add-ons too. The clue: There's going to be a PC version of it!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

No idea if UT3 is still being played, I only ever play/played botmaches. I recently bought the original UT off Impulse and I think I paid more for it ^^

Still it's worth $8 probably...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

original UT is where its at
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Probably will get shit for this but i prefered the UT series to Quake.

Still havent played UT3 but might buy it for the mods.

Ontopic i used to own alot of those games but lost the cd's to most :p.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

When I saw UT 3 for just $8 I went looking for UT 2004, since I have fond memories of playing Invasion online... and was disappointed to find that UT 2004 is twice as expensive as UT 3! Those classics are pricey :)
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

RogerN wrote:When I saw UT 3 for just $8 I went looking for UT 2004, since I have fond memories of playing Invasion online... and was disappointed to find that UT 2004 is twice as expensive as UT 3! Those classics are pricey :)
Get the Unreal Deal Pack then and get the entire series for a couple bucks more than UT2004's price. Well, except the bastard child that is UT2003.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Crikey, I just beat Dark Forces in one sitting. All my childhood memories of that game being SO HARD are kinda... childish now. And the Dark Troopers that used to seem so intimidatingly powerful are, er, not so much.

I'd forgotten how outdated DF's engine is though. That's some weak stuff, right there. You can't look up or down with the mouse - I guess nobody had thought of that in 1995...? Either that, or they intentionally locked the view since the engine does naughty things to all the level geometry when you look up and down using they keyboard.

Anoat still SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME though. I think I've got a permanent phobia of water levels (especially sewage levels) from playing this game at a young age.

All things considered, still a pretty good game, and certainly very cutting-edge for its time. Rather short though.

On to Jedi Knight!
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

You can't look up or down with the mouse - I guess nobody had thought of that in 1995...? Either that, or they intentionally locked the view since the engine does naughty things to all the level geometry when you look up and down using they keyboard.
IIRC, the engine uses a form of 2D ray-casting for drawing the level in pseudo-3D. The algorithm is very fast, but as a consequence the camera cannot tilt up and down. The algorithm relies on all the walls being vertical in relation to the camera.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Try this for a refreshed Dark Forces experience. It contains the first six levels afaik...

http://darkforces.jediknight.net/index2.shtml
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

NOiZE wrote: Is UT3 still being played much?
The last thing I heard about UT3 is that you go online and find like 12 other players...
Bullocks I went online a month ago and there were enough for anyone to enjoy staying.

Problem is UT3 is so detailed you can't really determine where the enemy is in some cases. And red team still can be seen easier than others.

On topic: 8$ !!! I bought a Russian version for 18$ with a shitty box even though the internet store showed a different picture with an English version. Too bad I saw the CD-Key so I couldn't switch. But what is interesting is that the store said I should download the English version from a torrent and use the CD-Key on it... :shock:

Mechwarrior: Rising Legends mod is for Crysis.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

For anyone having problems with Jedi Knight / MotS graphics corruption, apply the fixes found here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=968535

Solves the problem 100%
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

As a small warning, Jedi Knight likes to frequently corrupt saved games, so don't rely on quicksaves.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Beat Jedi Knight a few days ago, moved on to MotS.

MotS is one of the most inconsistent games I've played. Some parts of it are pure genius, like the first level. Other parts of it are just so poorly-done and cheap.

For instance. The game starts off with you on a planet, presumably because the Rebellion has a strange fetish for worlds with no redeeming qualities. You're there training Mara Jade. Sadly, your own jedi abilities have mysteriously atrophied - yes, it's a gameplay mechanic, I can take that, no big deal. Lo and behold, a couple of big asteroids show up in orbit and start shooting at the rebel base.

Ok, plausible, and even throws in some expanded universe continuity. Once you get up to the asteroid base though... everything starts to fall apart. Why is the base designed as a labyrinth? Why are there stormtroopers in areas that even a jedi can barely access? What is the strategic value of a small rock jutting out into a cave that it necessitates a regular garrison? Why is there a switch in the control room to determine whether or not the asteroid should fire at the rebel base or the other asteroid? It has only two positions. They'd really be screwed if they were in a fight with 3 different targets, the whole place would have to be rebuilt.

Then you move on to a level in a rebel ship. It's actually sort of cleverly done, if you view the map it LOOKS like the hull of a corellian corvette. Unfortunately the whole ship is another labyrinth. I'm not saying they need to hire an architect or an engineer or something, and I can accept that a game level is meant to be a game level and not a realistic interpretation of what the inside of a ship might look like, but this is just crazy. The ship is laid out like it was designed to confuse its occupants and put them in as much danger as possible. The next level only gets worse.

Jedi Knight's levels weren't really sensibly designed either. Jerec finds the location of the valley of the jedi, and a week later when you arrive there's an entire fortress built. Prefab? Whatever. But they were nowhere near this bad.

All those things aside, it lacks polish. Mara Jade's voice actress doesn't suit her personality. The voice direction is just terrible. I suspect that they had the voice actors read their lines unaware of how they fit together or what kind of situation they were to be used in, then had the voice actors back again later to record some additional lines, and by this time they aren't even sure what the game is about.

And the carbonite gun... oh the carbonite gun. Yuck. Also, perhaps due to my experience in ammo-scarce games like STALKER, I can never seem to be inaccurate enough to run out of ammunition. For whole sections of the game I forgot I even had anything besides a blaster rifle (the most inaccurate weapon in the game), because there was just no reason to switch. In a game full of crazy-powerful weapons like rocket launchers, the concussion rifle, I never had enough targets to warrant switching to them. Pretty sad.

And what the heck is with the health overload? There are health and shield pickups EVERYWHERE. There's sometimes as many as two or three "revives" (full shield/health) or "armor vests" (full shield) on a single level, it's madness. I'm only playing on medium, but I expect that at some point there should be enemies capable of posing a threat to me.

I'm somewhere around the end of the game - I know I am since the plot appears to be wrapping up. I want this game to end so I can move on to Jedi Outcast but it's fighting tooth and nail all the way. I'm in some kind of sith temple right now and I dread loading the game up again because running around flicking switches is getting tiresome. There doesn't even seem to be a puzzle element of any kind, it's just "find all the switches, flick them, ???, entertainment!"

Unless there's something mindblowing coming up, I can safely say there's no reason to bother with MotS unless you're a diehard JK fan like me.

edit: to be fair, LA knows MotS isn't very good and they're only charging $2.99 for it. $20 for all the games in the package is still an incredible deal.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Caydr wrote:No idea if UT3 is still being played, I only ever play/played botmaches. I recently bought the original UT off Impulse and I think I paid more for it ^^

Still it's worth $8 probably...
Why would you ever play botmatches when there are people out there and you can mute them freely?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

When I say botmatches, I really mean playing something that in no way still resembles the original game... like, 60 bots on CTF_FACE with instagib, low gravity, and double jump mutators. That's some crazy shit right there.

Ok, not always crazy like that, but I enjoy never having lag even with lots of "players". Plus, up until I bought UT and UT3 last week I kept getting weird errors whenever I tried to go online. Inexplicable.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”