Increase your screen space with Firefox extensions

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

A recent topic wherein the OP posted a screenshot of his nubbish Firefox has motivated me to share my collection of firefox addons to reduce the amount of space that gets wasted.

AutoHideStatusbar: hides the status bar unless you're hovering over a link or otherwise there's something you actually need to see, similar to Chrome's behavior.

Fission: Shows page loading progress in the address bar, making the status bar unneeded most of the time.

Download Statusbar: reduces the necessity of having the download window open by showing your downloads in the status bar.

Compact Menu 2: Hides the File, Edit, View, etc, adds a button that un-hides them temporarily.

Smart Stop/Reload: Replaces the reload/stop buttons with one that does both depending on what state the page you're looking at is in. In rare circumstances you'll wish you had both, but for me it's not really a big deal very often.

Undo Closed Tabs Button: Allows you to quickly re-open the last tab you closed instead of going into the menu.

Finally, once you have all those, go into customize, pick small icons, and rearrange your icons so that your screen looks more like this:
wot.jpg
(426.8 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Why not just use Chrome, you ask? No adblock yet.
Last edited by Caydr on 02 Sep 2009, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Increase your screen space with Firefox extensions

Post by FLOZi »

Just use Opera
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

No. Tried it once a couple years ago, many web sites didn't work with it. Regardless of how good or bad something is, if it's the Macintosh of browsers, it's not worth the trouble. If I was going to switch to a different browser, it would be Chrome, and only after it has extension support.
aegis

Post by aegis »

chrome's rendering library is actually the same one used in osx's browser :P
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

you've done all this to add 100px to your viewing area

yeah no
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ctrl+ shift + t
or cmd + shift + t

This will restore the last closed tab, repeat to go further back in history. Otherwise the smart stop reload extension should be nice, I have a lot of little icons in ym status bar though like firebug and gmail notifier
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

What you guys need is Mouse Gestures Redox add-on. This thing is amazing if you use proper mouse of course, but you probably do, since you play spring.

I use gestures for almost everything. The only time I need menu is for bookmarks, couse I've got only 4 bound to L shaped gestures.
If I drag line down I close tab, if there's no tab it closes firefox. Line up opens last closed tab. Line right opens new tab. There's also roker feature, that switches tabs when you hold mouse button and use scroll wheel and many more. 2 thumb buttons on mouse are used for back/forward by default.
Oh, and you can draw line over links and then make closing shape, which makes firefox open all of the link you drew over.

It won't save you any screen space, but it makes me fly over the internets.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Wisse wrote:What you guys need is Mouse Gestures Redox add-on. This thing is amazing if you use proper mouse of course, but you probably do, since you play spring.

I use gestures for almost everything. The only time I need menu is for bookmarks, couse I've got only 4 bound to L shaped gestures.
If I drag line down I close tab, if there's no tab it closes firefox. Line up opens last closed tab. Line right opens new tab. There's also roker feature, that switches tabs when you hold mouse button and use scroll wheel and many more. 2 thumb buttons on mouse are used for back/forward by default.
Oh, and you can draw line over links and then make closing shape, which makes firefox open all of the link you drew over.

It won't save you any screen space, but it makes me fly over the internets.
So, basically what you're saying is...

Just use Opera.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

No matter how good Opera is, eventually you'll run into a case where you say "boy, I wish I had an extension for that". Then you go back to Firefox.

Same goes for Chrome.

That being said, Firefox completely screwed the pooch with crashiness and memory-hoarding for a while, so I can't really blame people for deciding that extensions aren't worth the cost.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Just open Firefox and press F11 and that's it. Plenty of screen space with just one key press...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Pxtl wrote:No matter how good Opera is, eventually you'll run into a case where you say "boy, I wish I had an extension for that". Then you go back to Firefox.
+1000

I have even more extensions than I do spring widgets. I actually have area mex, unit retreat and even commander nametags firefox addons. They don't do much in firefox but I have them.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Thx, Cadyr, Extension is golden
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Wow, that saves virtually nothing.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Just use Opera.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Some guy said it saved 100 px. On a netbook's 1024x600 screen, that's a sixth of the screen saved. And since you claim to be using a netbook, it is a huge difference.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

There is no way with how the menus are constructed, particularly with rounded corners, you're saving me one hundred pixels. One horizontal line would be around 1000 pixels, even given rounding. One vertical would give me roughly 540 pixels, considering top and bottom elements.

100 pixels is a functionally negligible amount in this context, and not one possibly granted by your changes. Ralphie said that dismissively, and rightfully so.

I'm using Windows on a netbook. I'll optimize my browser more when I'm running on a decent OS. Thanks, though.

Addendum: Two of the addons, the first two, were useful, and do grant me 14140 more pixels of viewspace, out of my total of 614400.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I'm just posting up some of the more helpful addons for saving screen space, but I'm not going to hold your hand while you figure out how to get everything to work as good as possible.

Overkill, Flozi:
http://lifehacker.com/5352195/browser-s ... hallengers
Opera fails at everything and uses more system resources than Firefox while also being slower.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

Dont forget to use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9256 as it makes use of top caption line. I moved File etc menus and close mininimize butons there - very usefull
knorke

Post by knorke »

increase your epenis with screen space! :shock:
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

just press F11 imo :?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”