Are we rally that bad? - Page 4

Are we rally that bad?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Are we rally that bad?

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:I thought about give a thoughtful reply but this site will continue with the sort of lax moderation that it is has had for years. The fact that argh and several others... <Thoughtful Reply>
Smoth, you are way to reflective a guy to say anything that doesn't come across as insightful, so stop trying.

Been thinking about this for a bit now and the first thing that everyone can do to resolve the lack of Moderation is to make it easier on the Moderators to Moderate less Moderately. AKA, report posts that break rules, report posts by people who are being jerks but are within the "rules", report posts that hurt your feelings... I can't say it will fix the problem... but it will definitely make it easier for me to see.
overkill

Post by overkill »

So the horrid moderation is not actually the moderators fault?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

SinbadEV wrote:
smoth wrote:I thought about give a thoughtful reply but this site will continue with the sort of lax moderation that it is has had for years. The fact that argh and several others... <Thoughtful Reply>
Smoth, you are way to reflective a guy to say anything that doesn't come across as insightful, so stop trying.

Been thinking about this for a bit now and the first thing that everyone can do to resolve the lack of Moderation is to make it easier on the Moderators to Moderate less Moderately. AKA, report posts that break rules, report posts by people who are being jerks but are within the "rules", report posts that hurt your feelings... I can't say it will fix the problem... but it will definitely make it easier for me to see.
As much as it is inappropriate for a game forum, part of trolling and flamewars are what makes this forum interesting. I don't want to see that taken away, even though there is good reason to do so.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:Smoth, you are way to reflective a guy to say anything that doesn't come across as insightful, so stop trying.
FUCK++
REVENGE wrote:flamewars are what makes this forum interesting. I don't want to see that taken away, even though there is good reason to do so.
I always thought being able to see content and features created and added was the interesting part of this forum. Talking about strategies and team play dynamics, favorite units and why we like them.

Content creators have a terribly stressful time and with each release no matter how much we test or work on things there will always be issues with every release. Taking that feedback which many times is harsh if not degrading and making the most of it. After years of such feedback it does leave a sour taste in one's mouth. Of course there are also positive moments but lets face it few times are they there.

All of this is often times eclipsed by the needless harrassment that we face sometimes from other content devs. Other times from project fanbois who in lobby spend days or weeks deriding our work because it isn't X project. We are for good reason also not held in as high a regard as the endine devs so we are respected much less. So we are big targets really for ample harrassment. The trolling is often a counter productive element in an often unappreciated job and really has driven at least one content dev away.

So while you guys might find the cheap lulz amusing I see them as a cancer. You should be coming here for all the wonderful art, gameplay and features in each project and engine release and not to mock other people. If that is the site you want, then why are we even here? Because that is the site you guys are bringing to bear one that is more about user harrassment and less about all the wonderful things we can build together.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

smoth wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:Smoth, you are way to reflective a guy to say anything that doesn't come across as insightful, so stop trying.
FUCK++
REVENGE wrote:flamewars are what makes this forum interesting. I don't want to see that taken away, even though there is good reason to do so.
I always thought being able to see content and features created and added was the interesting part of this forum. Talking about strategies and team play dynamics, favorite units and why we like them.

Content creators have a terribly stressful time and with each release no matter how much we test or work on things there will always be issues with every release. Taking that feedback which many times is harsh if not degrading and making the most of it. After years of such feedback it does leave a sour taste in one's mouth. Of course there are also positive moments but lets face it few times are they there.

All of this is often times eclipsed by the needless harrassment that we face sometimes from other content devs. Other times from project fanbois who in lobby spend days or weeks deriding our work because it isn't X project. We are for good reason also not held in as high a regard as the endine devs so we are respected much less. So we are big targets really for ample harrassment. The trolling is often a counter productive element in an often unappreciated job and really has driven at least one content dev away.

So while you guys might find the cheap lulz amusing I see them as a cancer. You should be coming here for all the wonderful art, gameplay and features in each project and engine release and not to mock other people. If that is the site you want, then why are we even here? Because that is the site you guys are bringing to bear one that is more about user harrassment and less about all the wonderful things we can build together.
This. Additionally, less flaming brings in more devs and players, which leads to cooler projects and more things for you to be interested in, REVENGE.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Ok, I digress, I like seeing that stuff kept in the Off Topic forum. But the current moderation in other parts of the forum seems ok. It's not great, but at the same time we have some very angsty and stubborn devs on here. Ideas clash a lot, and sometimes people start getting nasty, but in general the mods have done a good job keeping discussions on topic. The really hateful and deliberate flamebaiting comes only from a couple of standout individuals. Pull out the banstick and you'll quiet these people in no time.

*sigh, I was just trying to bring some love into this thread, since it's in Off Topic and not in General Discussion. :)

On the other hand, General Discussion, which is supposed to be a place to discuss stuff related to Spring, has degraded into a spiteful flamepool that's actually worse than Off Topic.

EDIT: Well shit, I guess the sarcasm went in the fire and shit hit the fan. Oh well, fuck me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not mind spirited rivalry, the s44/swiw guys have a bit of this. Hell, I constantly tell spiked fuck you for being so good. However, these 3 teams despite our various differences over the years work together and are productive. Despite how silly spiked thinks my cartoon robots are.

Banning has not really effected the problem individuals who have come back and each time resume thier bad habits. Instead they just wait a bit and when they feel the time is right they really dig into to a person.

There is one individual who has done this 2 times already and I am not sure if he is working on it for a 3rd time.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

smoth wrote:I do not mind spirited rivalry, the s44/swiw guys have a bit of this. Hell, I constantly tell spiked fuck you for being so good. However, these 3 teams despite our various differences over the years work together and are productive. Despite how silly spiked thinks my cartoon robots are.

Banning has not really effected the problem individuals who have come back and each time resume thier bad habits. Instead they just wait a bit and when they feel the time is right they really dig into to a person.

There is one individual who has done this 2 times already and I am not sure if he is working on it for a 3rd time.
I can consider permabans bans. All other bans are just warnings.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

overkill wrote:So the horrid moderation is not actually the moderators fault?
The only time I have seen a reported post survive more then a day is when it was a false report (for example, someone reported Caydr as a spam-bot).

I can only speak for myself here but A)I have a pretty thick skin and I an over-developed appreciation of sarcasm and irony... so I have a hard time realizing when feelings are getting hurt, and B) I don't read every post... but if I happen to see a report, I review it as soon as I see it... also, there is a nearly constant flow of moderation, invisible to the public because threads are split or moved or deleted before the majority of y'all notice it's there.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

i find it funny that some people are complaining when they are equally guilty if not more so of creating drama/trolling themeselves.
Gota

Post by Gota »

In short.
Moderators plz save us from ourselves!
Regret

Post by Regret »

SinbadEV wrote:also, there is a nearly constant flow of moderation, invisible to the public because threads are split or moved or deleted before the majority of y'all notice it's there.
Now I know you're bullshitting here. There is a #news channel on lobby, and you see all threads pop up there the same time (+- few seconds) they are made, and the number of such moderation occurrences is around 1-2 per month.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

There have been three logged moderator forum actions thus far today, two by aegis, one by Sinbad. They were all at the post level.

In the last ten days, we've only banned one user and one IP address. This is down from the average, but up from the previous ten day period.

The bot, while handy, is not perfect. It does not register a lot of subtle activity. I know that on average we are forced to split between ten and thirty topics a month and that between six and fifteen disappear altogether.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

i don't want to see ANY topics unless they include the word 'please' or 'thank you'
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't know sinbad, txting from my iPhone btw

maybe I should get on ts with you when I get back, I have been having a oneway conversation with a moderator who I am pissed at now.

This place is bad for me I think

anyway theatpr show is about to start I you are willing to hear me out I would really like to have a one on one chat with you. I cannot right now as I am out of country but when I get back I would appreciate it as I might help me get some amount of mental peace
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

smoth wrote:Banning has not really effected the problem individuals who have come back and each time resume thier bad habits. Instead they just wait a bit and when they feel the time is right they really dig into to a person.

Get your facts straight, my bad habits never stopped. Also, I was only banned once for making you raeg... Wait... you don't have a second archnemesis do you? ...You cheating whore. $10 to the person who gets me a picture of Smoth talking on his iphone, being hip and fashionable.
SinbadEV wrote:
Haha yeah right that wasn't a quote.
It was PARTS of a quote. What's important is, it was in a quote box.

I followed your advice and now I've got moderator up the ass. Thanks a lot.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19749
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Best would be, if we had sort of a World of Contribution, a InForum RPG-Game whos Gamemasterbot picks the Noobs right out of there first "I-have-a-dream" Topic- hands them tools and Tutorials, and set them on the start mark, with a simple task like "Paint-a-Texture" to rise& become Contributor Lvl.2, leveling them up...keeping them attached to spring, like those addictive Games like Diablo

Oh, sorry, just reread the Thread, didn┬┤t want to derail the flamez

Burn in hell ****** *****
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

You know, that could actually work. Or something like it.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Imagine yourself, like Blizzards Arthas sitting with the Ass frozzen to the Throne, high above a huge army of mindless working drones willing to pay for contributing.. that┬┤s should be the spirit ;)

And it wouldn┬┤t work.. who would be willing to judge all the noobstuff coming in, handing out the xp?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

As can be seen, i haven't been around for .. some 3 years. I came here now to see that the forum activity has grown pretty much, the players ammount increased slightly (even though i heard the same old complaints: "there are each time fewer people playing spring, buááá!", "this version of spring is much worst, buááá!"), and the ammount of developers stayed about the same. I still see some people in the 3 areas from the old days but most of them have disapeared.

The comunity members are real people and, without any kind of doubt, they will eventually get sucked into real life, just like it hapened to me. Jobs, family, getting old, changing interests.

- Structure developers: Betalord was great. But eventually he started to feel the need to abandon the chores and pressure of it's unpaied job. K-man gone away too, SJ, Fnordia mostly too, i think (sorry to all those deserving ones i am forgeting). But they got replaced along the time with a *new* generation of developers, like Tobi and all others who are so new i don't even know they're names.
- Content developers: BA/AA(?) was the most popular mod. It was developed by Caydr but he left too. BA/AA(?) is still the most popular mod because someone *new* picked up on his job. Same for XTA, which was developed originally by the ultra mighty clan SY. They left too and XTA's life continued with several *new* people.
- Players: Same story.
- Forum members: Same story here but with a great diference. In my opinion, the forum comunity is the one that fuels the development and content groups. In both groups, the elements always start by joining the forum and hanging around for a while until they choose and decide an area of specific interest to invest they're development energy.

If new people (which are newbies until they get experience) do not keep flowing in, the community will eventually disapear. As much as a community matures and becomes more and more annoying the increasing diference of experience from the mature comunity members to the newbies, cutting off newbies will become a death sentence to the community in the long term.
Last edited by PauloMorfeo on 16 Aug 2009, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”