Just played through fallout 3

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Anyways, i steam rolled through the main quest, cheated for ALOT of ammo and occasionally godmod.

So i didn't exactly get the throughly enjoy it; the scavenging, the struggle to survive, etc etc, having to stop the main quest in order to find more things.

I hear a lot of people calling this basically an oblivion with guns. It'd be an oblivion with guns with a more dull combat system, a less interesting social interaction system, less interesting cities, etc etc.

I haven't explored too much but if rivet city/megaton are main towns, then im kind of bored already.

I already felt scammed when the main quest ENDED my fucking game (now dl Broken steel becuase of that).

My skill build was a bunch of bullshitted perks and maxed small guns/science and i was going to fucking attempt to get max speech/lockpick/sneak..

But why the fuck is there a level cap? Why the fuck does it STOP at the fucking end, why the fuck!? I just felt really scammed for this open ended game to be so..closed. Broken steel'll fix that but whatever.

I could also never be a fucking dickwad or asshole, so i was just a faggy white knight being a nice kid to honor Liam nesson.

Anyone have some good mods to offer so that it'll imrpove the game itself? I'm a die hard oblivion fan and had about 100+ mods installed.

I don't know..I just want to enjoy this game as much as i had fun playing and dicking around in oblivion. But the game to me just feels like i just CANT do that. If my weapons break down like that and i need ammo...In obliviion i just needed hammers and occasionally buy arrows. + I dont have a mount; had to download some motorcycle mod whch i cant even get the bloody motorcycle cause mi missing parts..

And whats with the fact i cant level up skills by using them?! I guess i just wanted this game to be more oblivion like.

I realize i might provoke some anger by some FO fans who hated the idea of this game becoming more like an Elder Scrolls 6. But i dont give a fuck.

Anyways tl;dr: General discussion of FO3, and mods of FO3.
Argh

Re: Just played through fallout 3

Post by Argh »

Anyone have some good mods to offer so that it'll imrpove the game itself? I'm a die hard oblivion fan and had about 100+ mods installed.
I have an amusing collection of mods that I hacked together into a complete rebalance- makes combat a lot more lethal, gets rid of the stupid "my bullets get more pointy if I have Repair maxed" stuff, adds a lot more companions and weapons etc. Basically makes shooting people a lot more challenging, and I made bullet-time more scarce, too, so that it's more like a Max Payne experience, where you really need to save it up.

It's an "amusing" collection, because at first I wasn't ever going to release it... then read BethSoft's EULA... and apparently, while their modding community likes to make a stink if people "take their work", BethSoft's position is that any modification of FO3 is their property, and therefore can be modified and redistributed by anybody else willing to adhere to same EULA.

Makes it tempting to release it and point this out to the content people who have been slaving away on giant mods for that engine, while yelling at each other about copyrights, when they basically have none at all :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Muzic wrote:Anyways, i steam rolled through the main quest, cheated for ALOT of ammo and occasionally godmod.

I haven't explored too much but if rivet city/megaton are main towns, then im kind of bored already.

My skill build was a bunch of bullshitted perks and maxed small guns/science and i was going to fucking attempt to get max speech/lockpick/sneak..
No wonder it sucked a dick for you.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Muzic wrote:Anyways, i steam rolled through the main quest, cheated for ALOT of ammo and occasionally godmod.
ur doin it wrong. EDIT: hivemind
Has anyone done simply steamrolled through a main quest in a game, cheating along the way, and actually enjoyed it? It's the satisfaction of going through the story that makes it good, not the ending. (Mind you, the Fallout 3 main story definitely isn't the most original or interesting storyline)

With regards to mods, try the Personal Vertibird mod, it's a bit buggy, but fun. Also, oblivion really wasn't a good game until you put mods on it anyway.

And my final message: Fallout 3 != Oblivion.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

cause i just wanted to get it over with and just wanted to roleplay and have fun in the open environment D:

edit: i'll be frank, i wasn't playing FO3 at all for it's storyline. I played the storyline actually to be honest to talk to Liam Nesson. I just wanted to play the open environment.

editedit: And i know obv wasn't a good vanilla game at all. Very boring; mods made it awesome.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you do not have to complete a game to roam in it. In oblivion i never completed a single gate but spent my entire time collecting herbs and selling drugs.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I found Fallout 3 a dozen times more compelling and atmospheric than Oblivion, with pretty much the same basic flaws but considerably better AI in turn.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

if you want a good bethseda open ended RPG

Morrowind > all
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Fuck bethesda, just play the proper Fallout games.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

smoth wrote:you do not have to complete a game to roam in it. In oblivion i never completed a single gate but spent my entire time collecting herbs and selling drugs.
lmao i just killed everyone in that skooma house. i just tried my best to commit murder without anyone knowing
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

fallout 3 has nothing on fallout 1/2. it's just a mediocre shooter with a lolwut dumb ending.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Morrowind was definitely best of bethesda.
I enjoyed Fallout 3 for a while but found the story utterly boring and most of the side quests.
Dialogue was unoriginal and never felt "haha thats cool".
It is a lot more Oblivion than Fallout.
I also didn't like how the story felt so pg for some reason.
It's probably not fair to compare Fallout 3 and Fallout 2 but IMO Fallout 2 was special while Fallout 3 was just a franchise cash cow.
I played Fallout 2 many years after it was released so I can't really say I'm so nostalgic that it seems better than it was to me now.
And not to mention that fallout 3 was made for basically brain dead people,who can't read more than 2 lines of text between the 30 minutes of grind.
This lead to shallow characters and dialogues.
Where are Fallout 2's and Planscape Torment's dialogues and where are The Fallout 3 dialogues..miles apart.

P.S

Oblivion is shit IMO.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Gota wrote:And not to mention that fallout 3 was made for basically brain dead people,who can't read more than 2 lines of text between the 30 minutes of grind.
This.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

JohannesH wrote:Fuck bethesda, just play the proper Fallout games.
so true :mrgreen:
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Gota wrote: This lead to shallow characters and dialogues.
Where are Fallout 2's and Planscape Torment's dialogues and where are The Fallout 3 dialogues..miles apart.
planescape torment had probably the best dialogs i've ever seen in a game, epic story. too bad so few people know the game :(
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yeees, that game was AWESOME.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I quit half way through the story when I got my hands on the first power armor and started over with a shit load of mods making the game more fun (such as the power armor mods)

I had to cheat a lot because the main quest was broken (a trigger didn't activate to permanently open the door after the sewers escape) and several NPCs died because of what ever so I had to teleport to them to get a bunch of sidequests done...
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

baledurs gate 2 pwned
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

So i didn't exactly get the throughly enjoy it; the scavenging, the struggle to survive, etc etc, having to stop the main quest in order to find more things.
Beyond this this i expected nothing but bawww about how its a shit squeal to oblivion because you cheated your way there and you weren't immersed in the game

1. Fallout 3 is a trilogy to fallout. (see what i did there, i actually used common sense and not just base something off a similar engine)

2. if you used cheats to actually get through the game, and complain it being boring, you really don't deserve to even make an opinion on the game to start, as half the fun was being a scavenger, and running and basically feeling like you weren't a fucking god.

3. the point isn't to get to level 100 as fast as possible, the whole NOT cheating shit makes getting to level 20 a climb.

This game wasn't meant for dicking around as doing everything will only bring you to a wasteland with fuck all to do.

If you want to dick around in an RPG, pick up mario RPG.

This is heavily story immersed and plays like its supposed to be, without cheats and general ass hattery.

Infact, why the hell did you pick it up with that game direction in mind?

And possibly for the last time oblivion != fallout 3.

It's like expecting doom out of halo 3, just because both have aliens and guns.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I do feel that Fallout 3 was more atmospheric than compelling, the dialogue was sparse, generic and repetitive.

Actually, in game writing, which I've explored as a potential five or six year temporary career, they intentionally write simply to cater to an inattentive, unintelligent and uneducated target audience. Even Bioware and other makers of RPGs have certain basic guidelines, promoting simple, bland words and sentence structure while trying, paradoxically, to maintain atmosphere.

So actually, I find myself agreeing with Regret and Gota to some extent, though I think people do not give Fallout 3 enough credit for passive atmosphere - I've never played anything on a computer which tried so hard to generate a convincing setting. Stepping out of the vault, looking into the distance from a hillock, running through defunct factories... this was the closest you got, experientially, to a struggling, nearly dead world - at least until you found this or that person, sitting in the uncanny valley, surviving alone in a harsh world with some banal quest for you delivered with little complexity...

Fallout 3 gave you an advanced passive environment which was poor in active content and limited in interactive logic - it was the Fallout legacy mostly submerged in the technological possibilities of current hardware - but it remained recognizable. The thing is, the earlier Fallout titles were dependent upon active elements for atmosphere - dialogue, humour, descriptions - Bethesda traded active for passive. Too many game designers rely upon advancing graphics, music and control schemes while neglecting active intellectual depth and gameplay - a stunning example of this trend is the Sonic franchise, which has steadily declined in quality since Sonic & Knuckles, despite advancing graphical options, orchestral soundtracks, and improving control systems.

Fallout 3 was an excellent setting and concept in need of a project head unconcerned with the perceived inadequacies of the average gamer and aware of the dual nature of experience - active and passive.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”