The cost of eyeglasses is a scam

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I got to thinking the other day, virtually everything in the world has come down in price as time goes on. Cars, cellphones, TVs, etc. And yet as far back as I can remember, eyeglasses have always been somewhere around $300. Or, $200 with addons that you'd apparently be a fool not to get, which add up to $300.

So I actually looked for it, and sure enough, you can buy prescription glasses, contact lenses, etc, for almost nothing!

Compare: I was shopping around my city for a pair of glasses. The best deal I could get was going to come to $400 or more, just for one pair. I have no idea why.

Then I checked online - and bought the glasses I'm presently wearing for $40. That includes all the "coatings". They're rimless frames too, and my local optician (hakim) wanted something like $50 PER HOLE DRILLED for rimless frames! More money to drill a hole than my new glasses cost COMPLETE!

So just for shiggles I bought a pair of authentic (they look and feel authentic) nike prescription sunglasses for $90 as well, since my eyeglass insurance covers $150.

Both arrived earlier than they were supposed to, in extremely professional cases, complete with an adjusting tool, cleaning cloths, and carrying bags. The prescription is also flawless.

Here's where I got mine: http://www.clearlycontacts.ca

'States has a similar one called Zenni Optical, I just ordered a pair of glasses from them as well (so cheap, why not?) so I'll post my impressions about them as well. They should arrive within 2 weeks.

Another option is http://www.39dollarglasses.com - they have so-called "safety" glasses as well if you work in an industrial setting like me.

Told the guys at work about Clearly Contacts and now a bunch of them have bought glasses from them as well, and one guy's son bought glasses as well... so I thought I'd share this with everyone here too.
Peet
Malcontent

Re: The cost of eyeglasses is a scam

Post by Peet »

dealextreme should have prescription optics
Panda

Post by Panda »

I wouldn't skimp on eye glasses either. It's important to be able to see well while driving. Are your glasses scratch resistant and have no glare?

I also don't like the idea of rimless glasses. They seem like they'd get damaged to easily.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Caydr wrote:my local optician (hakim)
that explains it
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Just bought glasses, for 29 Ôé¼ from a store (specsavers). I thought that was cheap enough so didnt bother to check online stores. Shit, now I just wonder why i didnt buy these 5 years earlier, got so used to blurry vision...
Relative

Post by Relative »

Why bother going to an optician when you can spend $1 and prescribe yourself.

http://www.vdw.ox.ac.uk/adspecs.htm

Also you live in the US, where health care is just a giant scam. $400 is insane. My prescription glasses cost me £20 in total, and my prescription sun glasses cost me £80.
Last edited by Relative on 26 Jul 2009, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Uk glasses are subsidised by the NHS Relative... of course they are cheaper here :P

The secret is to do what I do: have an uncle who is an optician, get your glasses for free :)
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Peet wrote:dealextreme should have prescription optics
Why not use the 20 other Hong Kong sites specializing in prescription optics for under $100?
Relative

Post by Relative »

pintle wrote:Uk glasses are subsidised by the NHS Relative... of course they are cheaper here :P

The secret is to do what I do: have an uncle who is an optician, get your glasses for free :)
Awwww, why don't I have an uncle who can get me free stuff. My uncle is in *sigh* marketing :(
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

lasik eventually pays for itself in the US
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Zenni Optical is fine. People buy them in bulk, because they're so cheap.

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

In Australia you can go to the "College of Optometry" in Melbourne and pick up prescription glasses and frames for AUD$20 (USD$16). The only catch is the eye checks are performed by 2nd-year optometry students. The frames have a choice of designs and there is enough variety in styles to suit most people. We also have SpecSavers here which will sell glasses for AUD$50 (USD$40).

Anyone paying for "fashion frames" is a moron. Spending $400 - $1000 on eyeglasses does not make you less of a dork. It just makes you a gullible dork.
smoth

Post by smoth »

hunterw wrote:lasik eventually pays for itself in the US
lasik does not always work and work or not it fucks your night vision.
Umrug

Post by Umrug »

AHAHAHA I GETZ IT

Caydr went though with all this mod-making and maintaining, all those years of time uselessly spent on forums and in games, all those drama topics - NAO WE NO WAI!

1. Make a mod, make noise, get yourself known.
2. Engage in scam activity, ppl trust you cause they think they know you.
3. Profit!!!

How much do they pay you Caydr? Huh?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hey, the more square frame shape is in style. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-EqPzS ... re=channel
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

rimless glasse are easily brokken and expensive..
wish eyesugery was safer.. not having glasses is the best option.. but i read to mutch over constant drying eyes and pixelisedfailsights after Surgery..

Oh, youtube, i never knew the JOKER gave MakeUp Lessons.. praise be upon him...
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Try contacts, theyre comparable in price to glasses now.
Journier

Post by Journier »

Subject: The cost of eyeglasses is a scam
Relative wrote:
Also you live in the US, where health care is just a giant scam. $400 is insane. My prescription glasses cost me £20 in total, and my prescription sun glasses cost me £80.
Incorrect, Health care in the USA is perfectly fine atliest we dont have to get put on a waiting list to get something major fixed. If you dont have a job then your fucked, go get a job losers. even then you can sign up for government assistance and they will cover your medical costs.

In and out.

Last time i got glasses in the "health care is a scam country" I paid $40 each for 2 pair, and that was with a eye exam.

Just because dumbshits drop 400 dollars on eye glasses that are no different than the cheap pairs doesnt mean everyone is dumb.
Journier

Post by Journier »

smoth wrote:
hunterw wrote:lasik eventually pays for itself in the US
lasik does not always work and work or not it fucks your night vision.
My sister had Lasik

Not worth it, she had it done in 2000, and paid like 4k an eye at the time from one of the most well known Lasik guys in the USA, he was one of the first doctors to start doing it etc.

So far she is on her 2nd Lasik procedure since her eyes keep changing due to having child and weight loss.

her eyes are so bad now again that shes gotta wear glasses.

Only good thing about Lasik "i guess" is that with that certain doctor every time your eyes change its a free procedure to get the Lasik done again.

If you ignore that every time she goes onto the table she could end up blind in an eye or two :shock:

So shes going in for her 3rd Lasik treatment, if it doesnt stick this time, she says shes done with it for good.

Oh, and her nightvision? HAHAHA that woman is fucked at night with any lights around its pretty bad.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Journier wrote:Subject: The cost of eyeglasses is a scam
Relative wrote:
Incorrect, Health care in the USA is perfectly fine atliest we dont have to get put on a waiting list to get something major fixed. If you dont have a job then your fucked, go get a job losers. even then you can sign up for government assistance and they will cover your medical costs.

In and out.

Last time i got glasses in the "health care is a scam country" I paid $40 each for 2 pair, and that was with a eye exam.

Just because dumbshits drop 400 dollars on eye glasses that are no different than the cheap pairs doesnt mean everyone is dumb.
So they don┬┤t fire you, if you are illness lasts to long or gets chronic? Oh, i never knew, how good at heart those companys in get through competiton on the free market. Suddenly it all makes sense...

INstitue of Medicine calculates 700 Billions wasted completely.. for exampel on 400$ Glasses. 16% of Americas Gross domestic product are eaten up by the privathealth system every year, while Germany has 10%- guess who is milked, especially since prognosis goes for 25% for 2024 for you..

If you drive to work tomorrow, count the people you meet on your right hand- 1-2-3-4-5 and Number 5 has no medical assurance. That is if you still have five fingers.. :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”