Need a new FPS game - Page 2

Need a new FPS game

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Regret

Re: Need a new FPS game

Post by Regret »

Spawn_Retard wrote:poor gameplay but high graphics.
Spawn_Retard wrote:splinter cell choas
What you said describes said game nicely.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

errr some of the best fps's are quite recent TF2/left4dead

CoD is nice
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Halo.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

JAZCASH wrote:Halo.
troll
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm playing Water Warfare! Oh, wait, you said PC...

Let's see... I haven't really played much FPS since getting my fill around the time I played Quake 4. I've got Fallout 3 and Bioshock but neither really gripped me much...

Oh, right, Zeno Clash was fun.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Spawn_Retard wrote:After going through nearly every FPS there is out there, i would say any FPS in the past few years, is of poor gameplay but high graphics.
What have you been playing? I'd say we are in a golden age of FPS.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Armed assault 2 sounds pretty good

[23:50] <Fista> the maps are really big. there are a few videos on youtube of battles involving over 1500 AIs heh.

after a 5min search on youtube i found the vid in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU

it looks pretty damn tempting...
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

I'm currently pretty much addicted to Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-'45, but it's basically multiplayer-only. Yes, there is a singleplayer option, but all you're doing is playing multiplayer maps with bots instead of other people. And the bots are retarded.

Basically, the game is a fairly realistic WWII shooter set on the Eastern Front. It's got everything from close-quarters trench/urban warfare with SMGs and bolt-action rifles to sweeping tank battles (though you're best off with custom maps for those) featuring everything from puny T-60 tankettes to IS-2s and Tigers. There are no fixed weapons positions (excepting anti-tank guns present in custom maps), if you want to use, say, an anti-tank rifle or a machine gun you'll have to lug it around yourself and deploy it where you want to use it. There's no crosshair, and firing from the hip is just completely useless at ranges exceeding 3 feet (although I did once kill two people in a row with a bolt-action rifle from the hip, but still, they were less than 3 feet away from me). Tank warfare is my favourite part of the game, there's just something about duelling with Panthers and IS-2s at 800 metres, hoping your next shot won't bounce off sloped or angled armour and spending agonising seconds reloading, watching for the muzzleflash signalling an incoming shell that might be your demise..... for the moment.

Sorry, got a little carried away there. Tl;dr, RO is awesome and I recommend it highly. (Though I'd wait until Steam throws another free trial weekend and try it then, this is a love-it-or-hate-it game.)
Imperium

Post by Imperium »

Well I was in the town earlier today so I went in and checked out what was in the shops, ended up bringing home the orange box but am now having annoying issues getting it to activate wtih steam. It refuses to connect to the steam server, and is making me angar. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on a wireless network and am guessing it is something to do with this stopping the connection but I just don't quite know how to fix it.

On a more general note I was real surprised at how small the selection of PC games on show is now compared to console games, things really have swung majorly away from PC gaming.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

the last fps i had really a lot of fun playing was "Condemned", its a survival horror so you rarely really hold a gun, you more often fight with pipes or parts of furniture. cool story, good scares
Relative

Post by Relative »

Well I was in the town earlier today so I went in and checked out what was in the shops, ended up bringing home the orange box but am now having annoying issues getting it to activate wtih steam. It refuses to connect to the steam server, and is making me angar. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on a wireless network and am guessing it is something to do with this stopping the connection but I just don't quite know how to fix it.
I've not had this problem. Try asking on the steam forums, or try calling up valve or EA support (EA distributed the game at retail). Also, try installing steam with the standard steam installer before installing the Orange Box.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/down ... nstall.msi

You can even choose to install the games without the DVD, as all the retail really gets you is a product activation code to link to a steam account.
On a more general note I was real surprised at how small the selection of PC games on show is now compared to console games, things really have swung majorly away from PC gaming.
I've gone into game stores that don't have any PC section, or just have flight simulator. Retail has essentially abandoned the PC. These days it is best to either go with digital distribution, or buy the retail game online. This likely came about because it is much easier to sell a consoles, rather than risk selling a game to a consumer that doesn't have a suitable PC. Consoles also have better brand identification and are the easier option for most consumers who tend to be oblivious to spec requirements, drivers, and installation. With a console you just turn it on and go - no hassle most of the time.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I heartily recommend Painkiller, if you haven't played it. Really great game.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Argh wrote:I heartily recommend Painkiller, if you haven't played it. Really great game.
liked serious sam 1 more then pk :)
Argh

Post by Argh »

That was good fun, too. I just liked staking creeps to walls ;)
IllvilJa

Post by IllvilJa »

Battlefield 2 is great. I don't know about single player though, it might be ok or not, depending on what you expect from bots. Then there are some fun mods to that one:
* Point of Existence 2 (modern warfare Germany vs Ukraine)
* Forgotten Hope 2 (WW2 with an ambition)
* Project Reality (like BF2 vanilla but muuuuch bitchier regarding realism and stuff, teamwork bloody mandatory, one of my favs)

Same goes for Battlefield 1942. It is an oldie but it is still a nice game. There we also have the mod Silent Heroes depicting a conflict where my homeland Sweden invades our oil rich neighbor Norway. A good mod with a sick, satirical twist.

Then of course Quake 2... a REAL classic :-D.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I just got Orange Box on PS3 and played through Portal, really enjoyed it... I'm not sure how much of the experience was lost because I played it with a ps3 controller... but I thing I got it back by playing on a 46" television (though now that I think about it, I could have had the same experience by hooking a computer to said television and still gotten to use a mouse and keyboard... too bad my gaming computer died.)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

SinbadEV wrote:I just got Orange Box
Every game on Orange Box is sheer epicness. I loved playing all through Half Life again and Portal was brain challengingly great. Team Fortress 2 was epic fun online. God I love cake.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Postthemall

No seriously- try Undying for Singleplayer or the new one from CliveBarker... or how about
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

oh btw doom2 on ultra violence.
Vabor

Post by Vabor »

If you hadn't said computer I would have gone on a rant about The Conduit, which everyone needs to buy. /rant

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”