UK piracy crackdown - Page 3

UK piracy crackdown

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

JohannesH

Re: UK piracy crackdown

Post by JohannesH »

Felix the Cat wrote:I'd clarify your analogy a bit: the shoe shop is selling shoes for between $75 and $100 a pair. The shoes are in sealed boxes. The outside of each box of shoes contains some promotional material written by advertisers that may or may not accurately describe the actual shoes, including pictures that may or may not accurately represent the shoes that are inside the box. Sizes are marked, but they're not standardized, and there's no way to know if any particular box contains shoes that fit your feet. There may be two or three pairs of shoes that are available in the store to try out - but in all likelihood they are childrens' shoes. Once you buy a box of shoes and break the seal, there's no possibility of returning them, even if the shoes are made of sub-standard materials, have shoddy worksmanship, and are patently different from what was advertised on the outside of the box. In addition, once you break the seal, you are bound by a shoe wearer agreement that is printed in fine print on the sole of each shoe, even though you didn't have an opportunity to read the agreement before agreeing to it. Finally, some shoes may directly cause serious injuries, or may include mandatory "shoe support products" that are integrated into the shoe, or may have holographic projectors that project advertisement in front of you while you are wearing the shoes, and these are all covered by aforementioned agreement.

If this were true, I'm sure there'd be a thriving black market in counterfeit shoes shipped in from China and sold for $10 a pair.
This is ridiculous... If the games/shoes are really that shitty, just dont buy them?

If a game company doesnt let you try the game out before you buy, just vote with your feet and get a game that offers you a demo or something. The makers of a piece of art have every right to control the ways in which their product is distributed. Just because you are able disregard their wishes doesnt mean that that's the right thing to do.
Regret

Post by Regret »

JohannesH wrote:This is ridiculous
No it is not.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I long for the day when rapid prototyping* machines will be cheap enough for every household to have one, so that we can start downloading physical objects.

*Actually, rapid manufacturing.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

JohannesH wrote: This is ridiculous... If the games/shoes are really that shitty, just dont buy them?

If a game company doesnt let you try the game out before you buy, just vote with your feet and get a game that offers you a demo or something. The makers of a piece of art have every right to control the ways in which their product is distributed. Just because you are able disregard their wishes doesnt mean that that's the right thing to do.
I vote with my feet by downloading games rather than buying them.

If I want to keep playing a game, I'll 100% buy it. I downloaded Europa Universalis 3 and liked it. I proceeded to buy EU3 and its two expansions - $70 worth of Paradox software. I don't regret the purchase; I don't regret initially downloading it to try it out.

Same principle on Sins of a Solar Empire. I'd heard good things about it, so I downloaded it. I tried it out and didn't like it, so I didn't buy it.

If there's no download available (i.e. console games) I'll just wait until the game is in the "pre-owned" bin for 5 bucks and buy it then.

I will continue to follow this system until the game industry figures out a better distribution model. From my knowledge of the game industry, a better distribution model will require a better game development model altogether.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

zwzsg wrote:I long for the day when rapid prototyping* machines will be cheap enough for every household to have one, so that we can start downloading physical objects.

*Actually, rapid manufacturing.
www.reprap.org - An open-source 3D printer that will eventually be able to make the parts for a copy of itself. Seriously, open-source is going to revolutionise industry and capitalism as we know it today.
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

HeavyLancer wrote:http://www.reprap.org - An open-source 3D printer that will eventually be able to make the parts for a copy of itself. Seriously, open-source is going to revolutionise industry and capitalism as we know it today.
Small step from RepRap to SkyNet. :P
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Regret wrote:
JohannesH wrote:This is ridiculous
No it is not.
This isn┬┤t an argument, it is just contradiction. Contradicition can┬┤t be a argument!
Regret

Post by Regret »

PicassoCT wrote:Contradicition can┬┤t be a argument!
Yes it can.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

An argument's a collective series of statements to establish a definite proposition.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Stealing vs copyright infringement is really a red herring, it doesn't matter one bit to us because we're not lawyers and all it does is derail discussions.

As for KaiserJ, last I checked Nintendo was still around.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Look if i argue with you, i must take the contrary Position!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

PicassoCT wrote:Look if i argue with you, i must take the contrary Position!
But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

JAZCASH wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Look if i argue with you, i must take the contrary Position!
But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".
Yes, it is!
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

In the future, the only thing people are going to pay big money for are fat internet pipes, services like whores and objects that cannot be copied, like a moon that's been painted.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

No it isn't! An Argument's an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gain saying of anything the other person says!
bashar

Post by bashar »

JAZCASH wrote:No it isn't! An Argument's an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gain saying of anything the other person says!
depend on his shoes' color.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

bashar wrote:
JAZCASH wrote:No it isn't! An Argument's an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gain saying of anything the other person says!
depend on his shoes' color.
"Now... FUCK OFF!"
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

No it isn┬┤t!

(In deep Blue for the Combo bashar blew)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”