UK piracy crackdown

UK piracy crackdown

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

UK piracy crackdown

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/8641-game ... re-piracy/

from the uk? downloaded games in the last 6 months?
Ohh shiiiii-!
Felix the Cat

Re: UK piracy crackdown

Post by Felix the Cat »

Earlier this week, the Patents County Court in London ruled to have an unemployed mother pay over £16,000 GBP (approx. $29,786 USD) in costs and damages to Topware Interactive for downloading and distributing "Dream Pinball 3D" over file-sharing networks.
And that's the only money "Dream Pinball 3D" will ever make.

When will the music/film/game industry associations figure out that the more they go after the pirates, the more piracy happens?

With the game industry especially, piracy isn't a matter of "oh noez dey is steelin our gamez cuz dey is steelers!!!1111!!1~". A lot of piracy has to do with the game industry's outdated and silly revenue model. Nowadays, nobody is going to pay $50+ for a game that they haven't had an opportunity to try out and that in all likelihood will suck - when you buy a game off the shelf, you're essentially paying $50+ to have a chance at buying a decent game. It doesn't work.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I believe this is only distribution, in which case I'm in the green ^_^
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Arr me hearties, the Brits be tryin' to hunt us down an' send us all to Day Jones's locker. Arre ye goin' ta let that happ'n, or are ye gonna stand an' fight like a trrue pirate?

Those scallywags ain't got nothing on us! We're gonna show 'em wha' i' really means ta be a pirate..... 'Oo's wi' me!?
tombom

Post by tombom »

"Wednesday, August 20th, 2008 "
Argh

Post by Argh »

Indeed.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I get along just singing my song people tell me I'm wrong...

FUCK 'EM.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jeez, if i got sued for 30,000usd for something like that i'd declare bankruptcy out of general principle. I can understand why game companies are doing this, but they dont care who they sue, they will get anyone they can. That unemplayed mother hasnt done anything wrong and her son proberly is too young to know better.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

JAZCASH wrote:I believe this is only distribution, in which case I'm in the green ^_^
If you torrent it, that means your uploading as well. Uploading=legalese for distribution.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

or you turn your uploading off...
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

i dont think you can atleast with utorrent, you can set upload to 1kbps, but they would prob still see that as distrabution.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Beherith wrote:
JAZCASH wrote:I believe this is only distribution, in which case I'm in the green ^_^
If you torrent it, that means your uploading as well. Uploading=legalese for distribution.
I don't do torrents ^_^
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Arr, this be 'nother example o' how th' gov'ments trry ter keep us down. It be in the Colonies though.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

fuck them, all the more votes for the pirate party.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The Industry is finnished, they just don┬┤t realize, what comes towards them is not a Wall, but the ground.. ;)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The more their regular profit sources dry up the more they'll desperately grasp at more absurd ones. The companies are stagnating and they need excuses to pacify shareholders. "We'll grow again once we beat those evil pirates!" Meanwhile the successful companies are chugging along happily and don't give a damn.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Its about time this started happening, you wouldn't walk into a shoe shop, take a pair of shoes and walk out without paying would you?

Why do people seem to think they have a right to just steal games and music?
I dont get it...

Succesful companies can take the hit to profits from piracy, smaller up and coming companies cant.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Stealing isn't same as copyright infringement.. I don't get why people don't get that.

With stealing you move something, and with copyright infringement you copy something, those are totally different things.

Not that either one is legal but they really aren't the same...

(For example, I don't think my neighbour would care at all if I copied his car atom-by-atom without leaving any traces, while I'm pretty sure he would care if I would steal his car.)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I copy EA Titles, because they suck, and are mostly Copys of ther Ancestors...

I buy Games like Sins of Solar Empires, because they fullfill my Dreams of Advancing a Genre, deliver perfect fun (sometimes like Spring for free) or have never been seen before and would be rejected by the Publishers (the Path)

Been to the E3 this year.. its console action only - barely two strategy titles (supcom 2 one of them) - some european strategy masterpieces like Anno 1404 not even shown..

And the next step for pirating is already in the forge, if you know which IRC Channel to go.. Bluetoothhand travells from A to B - and another one from B to C... so how to get some anonymous package from one city to another without using even the web? Heureka here you go.. and the best thing is, if you virus the warezdelivery into the background, everyone can be pirate.. ;)

I hear the Train is coming, it┬┤s rolling round the...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

BigSteve wrote:Succesful companies can take the hit to profits from piracy, smaller up and coming companies cant.
I call bullshit on that, the piracy rates are fairly constant so you can expect X downloads on Y sales (10:1 IIRC). It doesn't impact you more when you're small or big (at least not percentage-wise), just keep your budget proportional to the sales expectations and make sure to account for the piracy in your expectations (shouldn't be hard since all other sales numbers are already adjusted for piracy and that's probably what you'll use as a guide for the expectations) and you'll make a profit.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”