Everybody unite!

Everybody unite!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabutai

Everybody unite!

Post by Sabutai »

Opera Unite: a Web server on the Web browser
http://unite.opera.com/
Regret

Re: Everybody unite!

Post by Regret »

Fail.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Looks good if i wanted to keep stuff secret, but firefox is superior.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

What about Speed?
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Spawn_Retard wrote:Looks good if i wanted to keep stuff secret, but firefox is superior at consuming abnormally large amounts of memory.
fyp
Regret

Post by Regret »

Felix the Cat wrote:
Spawn_Retard wrote:Looks good if i wanted to keep stuff secret, but firefox is superior at consuming abnormally large amounts of memory.
fyp
Opera/chromefag
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

To illustrate:
-Latest Opera version with 11 tabs open, including a fully-loaded YouTube video: 188,876K memory usage.
-Latest Firefox version with 2 tabs open, neither of which are resource-intensive pages: 240,960K memory usage.

Why does Firefox need 27% more memory to do 80% less stuff?

Just to prove that it's not the couple add-ons I have running, I disabled all of my Firefox add-ons. That brought Firefox memory usage down to 232K. That's still a whole lot.

The only reason I use Firefox at all is that some pages use scripts that don't work with Opera. That and the add-ons are useful for some tasks. But for everyday Web usage, Opera is far superior.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Regret wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:
fyp
Opera/chromefag
Firefag

(also, I hate Chrome)
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Seems like Operas last ditch effort to promote before it dies seeing as it's at the bottom of the browser battle.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Opera will not die, it is the superior browser, and i know quite a few people who love it. I personally use opera.
bashar

Post by bashar »

Opera browser is leader on iphone market.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Felix the Cat wrote:To illustrate:
-Latest Opera version with 11 tabs open, including a fully-loaded YouTube video: 188,876K memory usage.
-Latest Firefox version with 2 tabs open, neither of which are resource-intensive pages: 240,960K memory usage.

Just to prove that it's not the couple add-ons I have running, I disabled all of my Firefox add-ons. That brought Firefox memory usage down to 232K. That's still a whole lot.

The only reason I use Firefox at all is that some pages use scripts that don't work with Opera. That and the add-ons are useful for some tasks. But for everyday Web usage, Opera is far superior.
Hahaha say what
tombom

Post by tombom »

Felix the Cat wrote:To illustrate:

Do you happen to have a lot of RAM? Firefox uses as much as it can IIRC. On my crappy 512MB RAM thing, it uses about 220mb for ~30 tabs from a load of different sites. Youtube/Flash stuff causes it to go up a lot though. Chrome is the worst for RAM usage I've found though.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

the new firefox beta runs lighter than the memory hog that firefox is atm.

it might be the heaviest browser but imo its the best.

the newest versions of I.E are not bad and im looking forward to chrome being developed further it might eventually be my browser of choice as google are good at integrating all there tools together

I dont rate opera i find other browsers way better.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Otherside wrote:the new firefox beta runs lighter than the memory hog that firefox is atm.

it might be the heaviest browser but imo its the best.

the newest versions of I.E are not bad and im looking forward to chrome being developed further it might eventually be my browser of choice as google are good at integrating all there tools together

I dont rate opera i find other browsers way better.
Minefield is very promising, but I'm sticking to Chrome until Firefox looks more like Minefield - Firefox performance is just bad these days.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I will gladly take a performance hit so that I can use my 55 add-ons. Firefox is the Spring of browsers.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

It terms of users this is the order from most popular to least:

Internet Explorer
Firefox
Chrome
Safari
Opera

Bottom of the charts.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I.E is only top because its the default browser that comes with windows
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Otherside wrote:I.E is only top because its the default browser that comes with windows
True dat, but Safari comes with Apple systems and Firefox comes with Ubuntu and other Linux distros and I can imagine Chrome coming with Google's OS when they finally release one. But yeh, if Windows aren't porting IE with Windows 7, then the Browser battle will shift a lot.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”