Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Post by Gota »

Topic chnaged to the movie-in the making called Avatar.
Last edited by Gota on 05 Jun 2009, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Terminator 4

Post by Neddie »

I actually think that T3 had a number of things going for it, merely different and more subtle components than the prior two.

Haven't seen T4. Interested, but may not see it in theaters due to financial issues.
Gota

Post by Gota »

T3?
You mean how it was a cheap spin off?had an awefull story and yet another terminator which was already kinda silly story wise in t2?
and the horrible casting..It was also kinda cheap in visuals(not that i care about that much).
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I liked T3... Though I barely enjoyed 1 and 2 so it's entirely possible that I liked it because it was so different.

Sara Conner Chronicles was passable and would have been enjoyable if the characters had been a little less one dimensional (fine for an action movie, not so much for an action TV show).

I'll probably see T4 after the DVD release... but it just doesn't seem right without Arnold.
pintle

Post by pintle »

NEDDIE I AM CALLING YOU OUT :P

Which bits of t3 were subtle? That movie was a POS that was of detriment to the franchise, the likes of which I have not seen since Alien: Resurrection
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Ooh, I really like Alien Resurrection too, it's entirely possible I'm what's wrong with modern cinema... I apologize to the world at large.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

liking T3 is a symptom of fatal brain damage, that shit is terrible
it has no music, where t2 had amazing soundtrack
arnie was old and looked shit
the female terminator; about as cool as braces and a hairlip.
horrifiyingly bad acting from the female lead
horrifying miscast for john connor
weak, nonsensical plot
weak action scenes
attempt to be funny with the glasses thing at the start
jeez, it was just fucking terrible

T2, everything about it, start to end, was PURE GOLD

t4 is out at cinema in UK tommorow, WOOP
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Whatever happens, the last terminator movie must end with john connor being killed, and Kate sending someone/thing back in time to try and save him. Anything else would be a failure of happy ending cop-out.
Last edited by Warlord Zsinj on 20 May 2009, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If you thought any of the movies were brilliant or amazing you were brain dead to begin with. The mixture of disparate and unassuming elements with neo-classic and post-human themes is what arguably lures most people in. Well, guess what, just because there isn't anything better on the plate doesn't mean there isn't room for considerable improvement.

The pacing was different, and the continuity of the plot was clearly better tacked together, if not tacked together well, than say the first film. The dialogue, while still weak, was more fleshy for the fleshlings.

T2 was oddly paced, the child actor was a cast weakness and the "society" depicted was oddly less realistic or, really, functional than even in the first film. I enjoyed it, but there were definite flaws. On the whole I think it was the best of the series, not the least of which because I at one point was running cables through cubicles in the bottom floor of the computer business building they "blew up". Long story.

I will say that the very worst part of T3, and a terrible component it was, was the female terminator, primarily because she failed to appear either mechanical or , but rather seemed... constipated and angered. Every scene with her died quickly into meh CG.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Whatever happens, the last terminator movie must end with john connor being killed, and Kate sending someone/thing back in time to try and save him. Anything else would be a failure of happy ending cop-out.
Everyone knows the machines win, we've all seen the Matrix and 12 Monkeys.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

pintle wrote:NEDDIE I AM CALLING YOU OUT :P

Which bits of t3 were subtle? That movie was a POS that was of detriment to the franchise, the likes of which I have not seen since Alien: Resurrection
+1 and +1. I thought Terminator 3 was not very good. But I'll go further to say Alien Resurrection made me cringe - not from fear as it should have but from seeing the alien cry at the end like we're supposed to feel sad for it before it gets sucked out into space. What was THAT? (You'd have to see it to understand.)
SinbadEV wrote:Everyone knows the machines win, we've all seen the Matrix and 12 Monkeys.
Eh? The antagonist in 12 Monkeys was a disease, not machines.

So our governor isn't even in it? That's fine, he should have quit while he was ahead, right before Last Action Hero. Being a parody of a movie hero, getting pregnant, taking on Satan himself ("You think you're badass, Satan? You're a f-cking choir boy compared to me!!" -- actual dialogue that I will never forget so long as I live) and of course, taking on himself himself (spoiler, The Sixth Day ends with him and his clone both surviving and sailing off into the sunset together. I make no apologies for ruining that for you). Vomit.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

SinbadEV wrote:Ooh, I really like Alien Resurrection too, it's entirely possible I'm what's wrong with modern cinema... I apologize to the world at large.
All those years i waited for one of those fanboiylurkers to rise, to say i like resurrection.. i prepared myself, i oiled the rifles, i sharpened the knifes and regularly updatet the torture chamber... and now you of all, sinbad..
this makes all my preparations as hopeless as resurection, which mass produced the alien - and let the humans get away with it..

t3 was funny though! And 12 Monkey is the Movie were the Brad ownz for the first time, followed by fightclub and snatch all good movesees
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

All that and none of you even responded to my post. I didn't say it was good, I just said it wasn't the awful mess you made it out to be. Normally my one to ten ranking goes from zero to seven, actually. As of now it is zero to five, next damn thread.

In case anybody was wondering, the next biggest option for John Connor in T3 was the child star from T2. If you want to see how bad that would have been, check out The Crow 4: Wicked Prayer.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

neddiedrow wrote:If you thought any of the movies were brilliant or amazing you were braindead
nobody wanted to be the first one to point out this oppinion is not only highly immasculating but also completely unaccepable. next your going to be saying that independance day made no sense. honestly, if aliens invaded, that is exactly what would happen
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i've got mixed expectations...

sure, t3 was a bit of a flop... it had redeeming points that still made it watchable, although i'd give it only 6/10, wheras the other terminator movies i'd give at the very least 9/10 on a bad day.

i have a lot of faith in christian bale, the only movie he's disappointed me in so far was the second batman remake (not that it was a bad movie, its just his character in particular seemed a bit too much of a mary sue compared to the prior one)

i just hope the special effects retain the gritty and grim feel of the first two movies, something that i felt was conspicuously absent in the third.

and as long as it doesn't have that annoying kid from indiana jones and transformers, then that's a redeeming point right there.

on the topic of aliens : resurrection.... do you guys feel it was worse or better than aliens vs predator?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

better

nothing but being disemboweled then left to die of gangrene could be worse than the alien vs predator films
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I thought Resurrection was worse than AvP (I didn't know there were multiples of these, I only saw one) because I was indifferent after watching AvP, although quite pleased that there was at least some sort of backstory of where the aliens come from. Compare to Resurrection which made me wretch.

But I guess it's just a matter of which bad movie you hate more in which case no one's saying either is good.
Gota

Post by Gota »

neddiedrow wrote:If you thought any of the movies were brilliant or amazing you were brain dead to begin with. The mixture of disparate and unassuming elements with neo-classic and post-human themes is what arguably lures most people in. Well, guess what, just because there isn't anything better on the plate doesn't mean there isn't room for considerable improvement.

The pacing was different, and the continuity of the plot was clearly better tacked together, if not tacked together well, than say the first film. The dialogue, while still weak, was more fleshy for the fleshlings.

T2 was oddly paced, the child actor was a cast weakness and the "society" depicted was oddly less realistic or, really, functional than even in the first film. I enjoyed it, but there were definite flaws. On the whole I think it was the best of the series, not the least of which because I at one point was running cables through cubicles in the bottom floor of the computer business building they "blew up". Long story.

I will say that the very worst part of T3, and a terrible component it was, was the female terminator, primarily because she failed to appear either mechanical or , but rather seemed... constipated and angered. Every scene with her died quickly into meh CG.
hmm well what sorts of sci fi movies have you been watching?where are these gems you speak of?
we are not discussing books but movies.
I find t1 was one of the best sci fi movies in cinema history.
Sure it was low budget with low production costs compared to t2 for example but It was a project by one man...cowritten and directed by James Cameron.
It had a vision.
The story was fresh,acting appropriate and cg was good for the time.
The script was fine IMO and I don't feel there was anything lacking when we speak of a balance of action and storytelling.
T2 was much more expensive but it shouldn't have been.
It was absurd to make a T2 story wise and it was just a way to make more money out of the franchise..meh at least Cameron directed it as well so it came out nice.
T3 was as silly as T2 but also had worse casting,an unoriginal story with ideas ripped out of the first and second.
It was completely uninspired and was followed by a pc game which was just as bad..
I know T4 will be uninspired as well but i hope at least it won't be as silly as T3 was and will make up with some nice action sequances..
IMO t3 and T4 are unrelated to the first 2 and the second unrelated to the first.
That's how i choose to see it.
That TV show was another spin off on the franchise and was complete and utter crap.

The scifi movies that i consider better are Andrei Tarkovsky's films which are on a different league but they are completely different are are not meant for mainstream viewing.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

In preinvaded Afghanistan they had a Deathsentence- stoned by ruinwalls ran over you with a Soviet Tank..
and now we have it here.. neddie is stoned with a geekwall of text

That beside.. Gota is right, although my favouriteline is t2 t1 t3..
You can have all the vision you want, the second, financiall powered time you wont do those apprentice mistakes..
Me likes alien 2 more..
Gota

Post by Gota »

Also in both T1 and t2 there was some integrity in the emotions and feelings presented by the characters...
This is Cameron's touch and its visible in Alien 2 as well.
Characters are believable and feel authentic and deep.
in t3 and i presume in t4 chars feel blank and shallow.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”