war? - Page 2

war?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: war?

Post by SwiftSpear »

Sleksa wrote:
I am with gota on this one. Ask yourself, should a culture of hate and intolerance have a place in the modern, globalized world?
yeah , lets just nuke all the non christians(everyone except christians are obviously intolerant and inheretly evil) and well develope a civilized and peaceful culture =))))
There's a hell of alot of violent radical Christians as well... This is the poorest straw man I've ever seen, it's not even remotely related to what was originally said.

Seriously, should a culture of hate and intolerance have a place in the modern globalized world?

I don't propose that there aren't violent people in my own culture, I simply don't think that the world as a hole should willingly allow anyone to teach school children that the only way to please god is to annihilate another race of people entirely.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think you are trying to deny the fact that Ariel Sharon was a radical jewish leader, I ranked him and Mahmūd Ahmadinejād equally. There are radicals on both sides causing it and I am not picking a side only hating the people who expect me to. So if you expect me to hate muslims which the video just gets into muslim bashing after the half way point, you are wrong.

It is formed out like a persuasive essay, win me over with facts then shove opinion at me to try and convince me. I refuse to let myself be tainted. The only thing bad about religions is that ALL of them have radicals and you want to act like the Israelis have done nothing to provoke it.
Gota

Post by Gota »

What opinion?What was the opinion that was shoved down your throat?
Ariel Sharon was not a religious zealot so that has nothing to do with religion.
He has never shouted for the destruction of a country or genocide of the Palestinians unlike ahme who denies the holocaust and screams for the annihilation of Israel.
Yes,he was somewhat radical but only towards those radical to him.
I remind you that it was he who pulled all Israeli settlements and bases out of gaza...
Last edited by Gota on 08 Jan 2009, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Personally, I find moral contention with anyone who takes an article of faith, and extrapolates a philosophy from that which they enforce upon others.

As I stated numerous times when "discussing" this situation in #main, arguing the abstract morality of the wider conflict is pointless. Both in terms of being naive enough to think that you will convince others of the validity of your perspective, and the greater naivety of thinking that said perspective will make any difference on the situation whatsoever.

I do, however, take issue with the disproportionate use of force, and indiscriminate bombardment, which imho completely undermines the credibility of Israel's actions.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

I don't propose that there aren't violent people in my own culture, I simply don't think that the world as a hole should willingly allow anyone to teach school children that the only way to please god is to annihilate another race of people entirely.
its not only islamic people who do this~~

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~radnat/zi ... aptwo.html
Some time ago US scientist George R. Tamarin, who had lived for many years in Israel, conducted an experiment which yielded eloquent and significant results.

He compared the written replies to 1066 questionnaires on The Book of Joshua (which is taught in Israeli schools from forms four to eight) sent to him by 563 boys and 503 girls studying in various forms of various schools in Israel.

"You are well acquainted," ran the questionnaire, "with the following passages of The Book of Joshua: 'So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword. (VI, 20, 21.) And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jericho. . . .' (X, 28├óÔé¼ÔÇ£30.)

"Please answer the following two questions:

"1. Do you think Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not? Explain why you think as you do.

"2. Suppose that the Israeli Army conquers an Arab village in battle. Do you think it would be good or bad to act towards the inhabitants as did Joshua towards the people of Jericho (and Makkedah)? Explain why. . . . ."

This questionnaire was circulated in schools in Tel Aviv, in a village near Ramle, in Sharon, in the kibbutz Meuchad, and other places.

Here are some of the answers. A schoolboy from Sharon wrote: "The objective of the wars was the conquest of the country for the Israelites. Therefore, the Israelites acted well in conquering the cities and killing the inhabitants. It is undesirable to have a foreign enclave in Israel: The people of the different religion could have influenced the Israelis. . . ."

"Joshua acted well in killing the people of Jericho," wrote a schoolgirl from the kibbutz Meuchad, "since he still had the whole country to conquer, and did not have time to spend on prisoners of war."

From 66 to 95 per cent of the answers, depending on the given school, kibbutz or town, were in the same vein.

Thirty per cent of the answers to the second question were categorically in favour of wiping out the inhabitants of a captured Arab village.

This is the sort of thing the children wrote: "I think it was good because we want our enemies to be conquered, and to widen our frontiers, and we would kill Arabs as Joshua and the Israelites did." (Form Seven.)

"In my opinion," wrote an eight-form pupil, "the Israeli Army has to act in an Arab village as Joshua acted, since the Arabs are our enemy in their souls, and therefore, even if they would be in captivity they would look for any opportunity to kill their guards."

These are just some of the fruits of Zionist "education" and they did not grow on their own, but on the deeply rooted tree of Zionist ideology which we shall examine in this chapter.

There's a hell of alot of violent radical Christians as well... This is the poorest straw man I've ever seen, it's not even remotely related to what was originally said.
it was intended as a joke to show how inheretly skewed teutooni's statement was. No matter where you look you will find extreme nationalists/fundamentalists who advocate war and terror (neo nazis, fundie jews/islamists/christians) , THUS,
I am with gota on this one. Ask yourself, should a culture of hate and intolerance have a place in the modern, globalized world?
This text assumes that our civilization(europe/usa) is somehow modern and tolerant and more peaceful than the others, excluding the start of both world wars in europe, the subjugation of entire continents (africa, americas) , genocides and much much more

if anything, we ourselves should be the prime example of a culture of hate and intolerance(as europeans)

I remind you that it was he who pulled all Israeli settlements and bases out of gaza...
He was also the man who let them get there~~

edit: whoah~~
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Way to miss the point sleksa. I used radical muslims as an example of extreme intolerance, because, well, this thread is kinda about them. ~~
Sleksa wrote:Quote:

This text assumes that our civilization(europe/usa) is somehow modern and tolerant and more peaceful than the others, excluding the start of both world wars in europe, the subjugation of entire continents (africa, americas) , genocides and much much more
Where, exactly does my question state we are any better? It is you who assume. We are not any better, unless we are ready to tolerate difference, which I tried to point out.

Sure christians have done truly unforgivable atrocities in the past, maybe even more than anyone else. The current generations, however, cannot be held responsible for what our ancestors did. What matters is how we act now.

And for the record, I'm not a christian.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so what brand of Zionist are you yan? You feel that the disproportionate actions of Israel are justified? You are stupid enough to forget that Sharon pushed in to put those settlements there? You are so blind. Your country is not at war, your country is using the tools of war to put down CIVIL unrest. It is like the cops killing US gangsters with bombs. Yeah, really clean kill there. You talk about how israeli's don't want to harm civilians your country attacked primarily civilian targets in Lebanon! Your bombing runs are against civilian areas, instead of surgical strikes the solution was bomb the hell out of Israel! Sure they shoot missiles occasionally at Israel so your country opts for WHOLESALE SLAUGHTER!

Even so your country attacks within it's self at the less than capable Palestinians and then you are going to wonder why terrorists from other countries attack you for putting down civil unrest! If your Zionist government treated the Palestinians like citizens and allowed for intermixing none of this would be necessary.

Instead you guys are provoking the crazy motherfuckers in Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. Why because you can't have a palestinian live next door? come on! The blame is ultimately on us I think though, we should have never allowed this to start in the first place. Well us and England IIRC. If only this stupidity didn't start.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Torah studies in secular schools are taught as a history record.
Israelis are also taught democratic values and the importance of life.
None of what you have written explains the one sided criticism of Israel By Europe and the way it is presented in Europe.
The movie did not attack all Muslims it attacked a certain branch in Muslim teaching which is related to the hamas-Israel situation as well.

If you think your European heritage teaches violence and hate etc...than why do you allow yourself to judge others?
It is interesting how you go out of your way finding "the cause of evil" in Israeli society and than try and make it look like that is the real cause for the situation while you aggressively deny any attempt of investigating the same in Islamic culture(from your random commetns in main)and address disturbing evidence which are plentiful in the flood of terror acts in the name of Islam.
I don't feel i need to repeat all I have written in earlier posts.
You constantly criticize Israel but refuse to inspect the Palestinian contribution to the conflict and their unwillingness to end it in modern times thus painting a very one sided picture.

About the film,I don't see where it makes any attempt at "building" some sort of accusation of the entire Islamic culture or makes some unsubstantiated claims in fact throughout the film it constantly states that Islamic believers are also hurt by what is going on.
Even if it did it would still be fair when compared to the huge amounts of biased reporting towards the other side.
pintle

Post by pintle »

FYI Basic there has historically been a media bias in favour of Israel in the UK. Particularly in the privately/big 5 owned press.

You are not in Europe, and you are certainly not reading the broadsheet newspapers here on a daily basis. Please don't deign to tell us what they contain/how they comment on the situation.

But then I think that holding this debate on the fucking spring forums is pointless and inflammatory and above all coloured by the ignorance of everyone posting here.
nemppu

Post by nemppu »

Teutooni wrote:Trying to promote tolerance by not tolerating the radicals. It's like waging war for peace.
::::::::::::::::::::: DDDDDDDDDDD

do you even read your own posts?
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

pintle wrote:I do, however, take issue with the disproportionate use of force, and indiscriminate bombardment, which imho completely undermines the credibility of Israel's actions.
The purpose of war is to break the enemy's will to fight. You CANNOT do that with proportional force. Instead, you hit them hard, and you hit them over and over again until they realize they have no chance of victory whatsoever and scream and beg for mercy.
Gota

Post by Gota »

smoth wrote:so what brand of Zionist are you yan? You feel that the disproportionate actions of Israel are justified? You are stupid enough to forget that Sharon pushed in to put those settlements there? You are so blind. Your country is not at war, your country is using the tools of war to put down CIVIL unrest. It is like the cops killing US gangsters with bombs. Yeah, really clean kill there. You talk about how israeli's don't want to harm civilians your country attacked primarily civilian targets in Lebanon! Your bombing runs are against civilian areas, instead of surgical strikes the solution was bomb the hell out of Israel! Sure they shoot missiles occasionally at Israel so your country opts for WHOLESALE SLAUGHTER!

Even so your country attacks within it's self at the less than capable Palestinians and then you are going to wonder why terrorists from other countries attack you for putting down civil unrest! If your Zionist government treated the Palestinians like citizens and allowed for intermixing none of this would be necessary.

Instead you guys are provoking the crazy motherfuckers in Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. Why because you can't have a palestinian live next door? come on! The blame is ultimately on us I think though, we should have never allowed this to start in the first place. Well us and England IIRC. If only this stupidity didn't start.
Unbelievable.
You have shown ignorance of the entire subject mater.
Not only do you not know you are misusing the word Zionism cause you do not even know what it means but you do so as a result of pure antisemitism.

First of all Zionism is the belief that the Jewish people deserve a country.
How is that a bad or unfair thing?
It was a national movement of secular Jews as a result of attacks on Jews in eastern Europe.
The fact you make it into something supposedly evil is a result of pure antisemitism(that you adopted from someplace else) because your basically saying that unlike other people jews do not deserve to have their own country..THAT'S what being an anti zionist means.
Zionism has been cinicly used by anti semites because of the political uncorrectness of accusing jews of something.
Go read some of the passionate accusations versus zionism and how it controls the world the world media etc etc etc...now replace the word zionism with jews...same exact old rethoric...├óÔé¼┼ôWhen people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews, You are talking anti-Semitism.├óÔé¼┬Ø
Thats a martin luther king quote,im sure you know who he was.

after we have settled this issue lets go forward.
The Palestinians have elected Hamas(or hams hijacked the election like west bank leader abu mazen says),a terrorist group(an accepted fact by the european union usa and some arab countries).
The hamas in its charter states it wants to obliterate israle,makes anti semitic remarks and talks of the day jews will be killed by muslims.
you can go look it up all of this is no secret.
Hamas is an international terror organization who works in many places not just Israel.
The hamas in the Gaza strip receives weaponry from Iran Syria and even china.
It has rockets grads and has been shooting them at israel for almost a decade.
Israel is bombing houses because the weapons are being smuggled into the Gaza strip from the Egyptian border through underground tunnels and there are also extensive tunnel systems dug up under houses and living neighborhoods of the populations.
Before Israel bombs houses it drops leaflets asking any population to evacuate telling them that this area will be bombed.
the reason Israel doesn't send troops in,is that hamas has prepared for such attempts throughout all the time after Israel evacuated its settlments and bases from the gaza strip and also set hundreds of traps and bombs in different areas..
Thats how they make peace and work for peace..Israel retreats from territory only to allow them to arm themselves and start attacking Israel..
Again hamas does not want peace and it will only stop when Israel is no more and all territories belong to hamas.
They say it and have been always.
About Sharon.
I'm not blind,I know he was a supporter of the settlements,obviously.
I'm just saying he is not a religious fanatic or a lunatic and knows when certain actions are appropriate based on the situation.
About the casualties...even hamas says 1/4 are civilians Israel says 1/10 so if you don't believe Israel has an independent news system that is far more truthful than any reports coming form hamas you may think the truth is in between those 2 numbers which is still horrible but far less horrible than the way any other country leads its military conflicts.

as a final note,hamas has around 15k troops many are suicide bombers that are willing to commit suicide to kil troops or israeli civilians..civil unrest my ass.
Smoth if you have an opinion at least be fair enough to read about what you are commenting about.
What's next?"zionists" to blame for climate change?

n short the atatck is not disproportionate but was done as a retaliation to a rithless enemy that only seeks conflict and will do anything to destroy israel.
Hamas knew thiswas coming,they knew that fater their massive vollet of rockets and 8 years of none stop bombardment this will happen yet they did it none the less.

and what integration are you tlaking about Smoth?that is rediculeous.
Its like saying Britain should have let the Irish integrate into it and the conflict would have ended...what a load of unrealistic nonesense... .
Just shows you do not know the people nor the situation and belittle the people,Israelis and Palestinians alike.

----EDITED----
Last edited by Gota on 08 Jan 2009, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
pintle

Post by pintle »

pintle wrote:But then I think that holding this debate on the fucking spring forums is pointless and inflammatory and above all coloured by the ignorance of everyone posting here.
tombom

Post by tombom »

pintle wrote:But then I think that holding this debate on the fucking spring forums is pointless and inflammatory and above all coloured by the ignorance of everyone posting here.
so true
The fact you make it into something supposedly evil is a result of pure antisemitism(that you adopted from someplace else) because your basically saying that unlike other people jews do not deserve to have their own country..THAT'S what being an anti zionist means.
yeah wow
Zionism is an international political movement that originally supported the reestablishment of a homeland for the Jewish People in Palestine (Hebrew: Eretz Yisra'el, "the Land of Israel"), and continues primarily as support for the modern state of Israel.[1]
not exactly as you said
Last edited by tombom on 08 Jan 2009, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

@smoth

from what i know israel is trying to destroy the military infrastructure of hamas, tunnel through which they get weapons and ammo etc. what hamas do is placing their AA stuff on the roof of the schools because they know exactly what will happen. i suppose that for hamas a message in the news about israil bombing a school and killing children is more worth then the actual life of these children.

youre saying that "it is like the cops killing US gangsters with bombs". so tell me, whats the alternative? going in their with a squad and risking their life? or send there a group of tanks which would probably deal even more havoc.

i dont see how it would help if israel would stop coz hamas wont. i believe that israel doesnt want to fight coz it doesnt benefit from it. a lot of innocent ppl die, some of them are probably even agaist hamas's actions and its frightening that something like this happens in our "modern" world but i dont know how it could be helped, i dont see a solution for this conflict...
tombom

Post by tombom »

TheMightyOne wrote: a lot of innocent ppl die, some of them are probably even agaist hamas's actions
oh you don't say

i mean seriously israel has over the years taken pretty much all of palestine's territory, continued a blockade of gaza, treated its arab citizen like utter shit

and in the last palestinean election it wasn't as if 100% were in favour of hamas
Gota

Post by Gota »

What shocks me is that people can still be blind to "in your face" evil propaganda that as a result seaps into mainstream thought upon which a nation's opinion is based...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I think I'm going to go with pintle on this one...if people cannot discuss this here without hyperbole to the point of declaring the questioning of a religious group's supposed divine right to a chunk of land, to be blind and baseless hate against that particular group, they should abstain from discussing it.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Yep, this should be locked, but I'm gonna say something here, just a personal nitpick.

Linguistic roots, Anti-Semitic = Anti ARAB...

Please, remember that. It's the media who use it incorrectly.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Decimator wrote:
pintle wrote:I do, however, take issue with the disproportionate use of force, and indiscriminate bombardment, which imho completely undermines the credibility of Israel's actions.
The purpose of war is to break the enemy's will to fight. You CANNOT do that with proportional force. Instead, you hit them hard, and you hit them over and over again until they realize they have no chance of victory whatsoever and scream and beg for mercy.
You have to ask... what is the nature of the conflict though. There is no military state that is being fought. Can you ever really militaristically defeat religious fervor?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”