MMORPGS? - Page 2

MMORPGS?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Pressure Line

Re: MMORPGS?

Post by Pressure Line »

if you *want* to pursue the npc-grinding path. I pirated for 6 months solid, every day was different. yes, the npc interaction can be boring and repetitive, but theres much more to EVE than that.
Day

Post by Day »

Air rivals! http://www.airrivals.net/ (free to play)

Anarchy Online! http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarc ... plate=main ( free to play!)

World of Warcraft http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml (not free :P)

EVE-Online https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=1 ... 3godrFOJCQ (partially free, limited day trial accounts that can be extended)

Cabal Online http://www.cabalonline.com/ (free to play :O)

thats just a bunch of mmo's i tried and didnt quit after 2 weeks and i still think air rivals is awesome! anyone should try it.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

I played EVE online for years, it isn't fun, its a grindfest if you want ISK, yes, market work, NPC fights or piracy, you still need to sit there for hours doing it.

And yeah swift, I just hate level systems and grinding, I'd rather watch a well build system generate monies for me.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

[TS]Lollocide wrote:I played EVE online for years, it isn't fun, its a grindfest if you want ISK, yes, market work, NPC fights or piracy, you still need to sit there for hours doing it.
I dont really know about this one, i've been playing for ~2 weeks now and i make enough money to buy and fit a cruiser (cant pilot anything bigger yet) in ~5-50 minutes.

At one point i was making money in eve by simply sitting in jita and checking the market tab every 10 or so minutes while playing civ II and watching movies on a laptop, so if money has been a problem for you, you've propably been one of those who bought my frigs for over 600k =D

also, air rivals is definately worth checking out, since there's pretty much nothing like it out there atm.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

lol Sleksa, I bought a carrier class ship for 1 billion last year and outfitted it with carrier class mods and fighters.

So yes, Idle trading will yield you monies, but not 'buy anything decent' monies.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

[TS]Lollocide wrote:lol Sleksa, I bought a carrier class ship for 1 billion last year and outfitted it with carrier class mods and fighters.

So yes, Idle trading will yield you monies, but not 'buy anything decent' monies.
And how long have you been playing again?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sleksa your trading skills have impressed me...join us...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Ryzom is now free. I don't really get what's their current business model, it used to be a regular monthly fee MMO, then it went bankrupt, died a couple time, then was rebought, and now has been running for half year as free to play. And really free, there isn't even cash shop to buy pretty clothes, or donation or anything. Yet its quality grade is as good as any standard commercial MMO. It just suffered from extremely poor advertising. Rumor says it's free only because it's taking them several more monthes than expected to set up the payment system back, but I find it weird to believe. It has no classes, anybody can be anything, you just level quicker in what you use most. Which mean that has soon as you get bored of grinding, you can simply switch to a different role. Oh and as an advice, do all the quest on noobisland, do zero quest on mainland.

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I've played Ryzom back in 2004 for two weeks or so, not that thrilling.

Hmm are these games free as in BUY CREDITS FOR ULTIMATE ITEM OR YUO SUCK LOL or free as in really free?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

rattle wrote:I've played Ryzom back in 2004 for two weeks or so, not that thrilling.

Hmm are these games free as in BUY CREDITS FOR ULTIMATE ITEM OR YUO SUCK LOL or free as in really free?
What you describe is "cash shop". Most of the games will have a cash shop, but most of them the cash shops have items that are more like "you level 15% faster" or simply different fashion choices. Only shitty cash shop games actually force you to buy the best items, and most people won't play those ones

According to zwzsg, Rysom doesn't even have a cash shop yet. So it's not one of those games.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

Sleksa wrote: And how long have you been playing again?
Years, I stopped playing after I played every role in the game (Pirate, merchant, etc) and it just started feeling like a job, a job I paid for.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SwiftSpear wrote:According to zwzsg, Rysom doesn't even have a cash shop yet. So it's not one of those games.
There is no "yet", it used to be a monthly fee MMO, and as rattle pointed, existed for many years.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

+1 Ultima online. Best MMO ever. Specially any pre UOR servers.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Keithus wrote:+1 Ultima online. Best MMO ever. Specially any pre UOR servers.
Did you ever play on UO:G Hybrid? I think the UKM may still have our guildhall if it hasn't Idoc'd (should any springers want it) same goes with Demise, altho that is a bit of a Trammy server.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

pintle wrote:bit of a Trammy
PK servers ftw. PKing adds much flavour and excitement to any game, as long as the PKers aren't griefers. It was a nice suprise to be ressed by the guy who killed me (after helping himself to my gold and valuables ofc) and chatting for a while. Sure he was a thief and a murderer, but not an asshole.

Do any of you still actively play UO, btw?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Teutooni wrote:
PK servers ftw. PKing adds much flavour and excitement to any game, as long as the PKers aren't griefers. It was a nice suprise to be ressed by the guy who killed me (after helping himself to my gold and valuables ofc) and chatting for a while. Sure he was a thief and a murderer, but not an asshole.

Meh, most of the time it just doesn't work well, because of the way MMO players level, it's very fixed as to weather a PKer can kill your character or not. If he's a higher level, then there's generally not alot of question.

Certain games like diablo 2 focus on gear alot, but generally speaking they really don't fix the problem... since usually if you are a higher level, that means more time invested, which means better gear.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Conquer had a funny PK system, but has a douche market system. Buy the item upgrades for money and participate in lotteries and shit.
pintle

Post by pintle »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Teutooni wrote:

Meh, most of the time it just doesn't work well, because of the way MMO players level, it's very fixed as to weather a PKer can kill your character or not. If he's a higher level, then there's generally not alot of question.

Certain games like diablo 2 focus on gear alot, but generally speaking they really don't fix the problem... since usually if you are a higher level, that means more time invested, which means better gear.
The game we were discussing, UO, counters this sincerely shit game dynamic with a very simple, and totally underused mechanic: you die, you drop everything.

Obviously 14 year old insomniacs will not pester their parents for relentless subscription fees if they are not engaged in the epic kit grind exemplified by Word of Failure and other contempory MMORPGs, but it does create a much more interesting game dynamic, both in terms of your goals in PvM/E and your interaction with other players.

I did the vast majority of my pvp in UO wearing leather armour, the crappest of the crap. I did not carry a weapon, and as a bard/tamer all I needed was an instrument (bought for a pittance from an npc, or crafted by anyone with a little skill in tinkering and musicianship). Hardly outgearing my opponents in their full platemail/ exceptional valorite halberds.

That loadout also made me a pretty unattractive prospect for theft or robbery (that and the tame dragon I had following me around).

The precise reason that UO works so well is that character level does not really exist, you can become a totally viable pvp prospect very quickly compared to cash-cow MMORPGS. That and there is an actual incentive to killing people (as well as a karma system to discourage ruthless murder of newbies/encourage vigilantes to literally head hunt murderers)
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Yeh, I played hybrid till a holiday trip cost me my house and all possessions in it a while back from being away for 30 days. Been meaning to get back into it but yeah. Nox mage tamers ftw :twisted:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

My bad, I assumed you were talking about MMOs in general, not a specific game.

Ya, definitely, there's a tonne of ways you can counter it. Hell, eve is a perfect example. It's really just the traditional MMOs that PVP anytime sucks, especially if they reward the PKer to any moderate degree.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”