Computer hardware advice - Page 2

Computer hardware advice

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Computer hardware advice

Post by SwiftSpear »

El Idiot wrote:I think the maximum that board can support will be usable at the least for another four years before I'll think about upgrading, and when I do it should be dirt cheap to do so.

Realistically, even these will be outdated as soon as I open the box. Never saw much point in staying on the bleeding edge.
Like I say, it's not economically worth it because you'll have to pay now the same sumtotal that building a reasonably good machine now, and then building a reasonably good machine then will cost you. But most of those boards will be able to be upgraded to the point where they are the baseline for a top of the line PC 4 years from now, whereas the standard C2D/DDR2 boards of today will all feel aged by then, albiet that they will still be running enough power to keep alive in the gaming market with some minor upgrades.

It's generally good to plan on building reasonably new every 6 years or so. Obviously components that don't really age, like cases, cooling, monitors, interfaces, rom drives, and to some degree, hard drives, you don't have to worry about too much. But the rest of the stuff ages nearly to the point of complete obsolescence every 6 years.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

im still using about every hard-drive i've had as storages~~
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I'm looking at about 850$ (then + taxes and S&H) for all this.

Highlighted:
Core 2 7200 (OCs well, good price, better deal than the top Athlon)
(Revamped)GTX 260
4 Gigs DDR2 1066
1600/1333 FSB (!!! to me)

Not bad at all. Looking at HDs now. Thinking "750 gigs! 10 cents a Gig!? I'll never use that much space!"
Then I remember "20 Gigs! 5$ a Gig!? I'll never use that much space!"
:lol:

550-600 Watts should be more than enough, yes?
For future upgrading, what kind of plugs should I have for my PSU? I need at least one 2x6 for the GTX 260, but I'm not really sure what the future cards will be using.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

shit, i need to get some money so I can get a macbook. They have decent graphics cards now, at least for my purposes.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Tribulex wrote:shit, i need to get some money so I can get a macbook. They have decent graphics cards now, at least for my purposes.
If you want to pay twice as much as the system is worth, sure.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”