Why Do Traditional Rts In The New Millennia Suck? - Page 5

Why Do Traditional Rts In The New Millennia Suck?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

manored

Re: Why Do Traditional Rts In The New Millennia Suck?

Post by manored »

I personally didnt mind having 6 months jumps (or were it 3?), but I must admit that time scales were a bit wierd... I mean, crossing the continent of foot wouldnt really give your son time to grow from baby to adult would it? :)
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Muzic wrote:nothing compared to the lack of space combat sims.
Play I-War 2: Edge of Chaos

its shithot! (and the storyline aint bad either :D)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Rome Totalwar Sucked

Medieval totalwar 2 was better but still sucked (guess modding helps make it a decent game)

Shogun total war was a good rts and so was medieval totalwar 1

And about the wc and sc food/supply comments thats just loli :/
tombom

Post by tombom »

Lolsquad_Steven wrote:Bartosh, ever played cossacks, check it out, you'll prolly like it.
cossacks owns

american conquest is even better!

everybody always plays with peacetimes of 10minutes+, often 1 hour it's so fun
El Idiot wrote:Starcraft is alright.

Quickest spammer wins. If not, patient turtle wins. You can usually call the outcome of the game at two points, and walk off knowing who's going to win.
have you ever seen any semi-good players play starcraft
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

El Idiot wrote:Starcraft is alright.

Quickest spammer wins. If not, patient turtle wins. You can usually call the outcome of the game at two points, and walk off knowing who's going to win.
Nuff said
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Just watched the first vid of that. I think I'm hooked on watching competative StarCraft. That shiat is wicked-cool. Never played it online except when experimenting with UMS maps - only played LAN games with friends that were as n00bish as I, so never learned the top-level strats.

One thing I saw in one of those vids was a defensive wall-in by a Terran player - I did't get how that worked - do siege-tanks outrange reavers enough that the siege-tanks can live behind structures and still shoot the reavers? Otherwise, why not just attack the structures with reavers from long-range?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

AFAIR Siege Tanks do outrange the Reavers. On the other hand, Reavers do more damage per shot and are not so helpless in close combat, and also cannot accidentally blow up own units with splash damage (they can damage allied units however).
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

I'm guessing it was a fast reaver drop? Well in most cases the reaver wont have enough time to kill a structure so it has to try to kill off SCVs and other units, enough to put terran behind as much as possible.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

yuritch wrote:AFAIR Siege Tanks do outrange the Reavers. On the other hand, Reavers do more damage per shot and are not so helpless in close combat, and also cannot accidentally blow up own units with splash damage (they can damage allied units however).
Sieges are superior to reavers while in seige mode for 2 main reasons. Seige projectiles strike instantly, meaning a group of seiges can kill a group of reavers before their reaver bombs have struck, and they have longer range, meaning a group of seiges can kill a reaver before it's even in range to fire. You can group up reavers, but they aren't as potent a defensive unit simply because their projectile time allows many opponents to do damage before they are acctually killed while fighting a reaver, at least vs a comparable group of seiges. When paired with shuttles reavers are one of the most potent offensive units in the game. A reaver, a shuttle, and two zealots can take out 6 seige tanks without losing the reaver if the seiges are bunched too tightly and there are no marines to threaten the shuttle. Load up a couple more zealots and rinse and repeat.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Yeah that is good shit. If the wall-in is well done then the reavers will not be able to pick off the wall without coming under fire.

IIRC the last games in the TSL were won by EPIC reaver drops and micro.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

Rise of Legends deserves a mention.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Problem is how times are changing - not just for consoles, because I believe consoles are so much more than PC's these days is because of the amount of money invested in them. The rest of the PC game industry still moves forward but investors don't seem to like PC game niches.

Investors believe in being able to invest big money and make big money.

I never got a chance in the video game industry due to my own choices. My personal belief is that there is still potential for alot of money to be made if they made a decent game.

These days the definition of a decent game is pretty damn low compared to what it was 10 years ago (1998). That was when I guess we were breaking ground in all these areas, no one had ever seen a 3d RTS before and going mainstream with it was just plain awesome.

We have people who think you can make up well thought out game structure with artistic and creative work.

They REALLY ought to cut funding to these programs to about 1/10 of what it is. I hope that the current game developers burn and die.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I'm going to revise what I said before that not only are there more RTS's made then than now, but that there are more non-traditional RTS's made then than now proportion wise. As in regardless that there were more made overall then, but that a higher portion were non-traditional as well.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”