Spore thoughts. - Page 2

Spore thoughts.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Michilus_nimbus

Re: Spore thoughts.

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Hoi wrote:It installs a rootkit, that disables the task manager, a few hacks later and it works again, still, really stupid, windows task manager is a legal program and EA has no rights of disabling it!
task manager works fine for me. In fact, you can play the entire game without registering, if you don't mind having the standard maxis creatures around you (and there's plenty of those).
Last edited by Michilus_nimbus on 08 Sep 2008, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Not for me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:
Hoi wrote:It installs a rootkit, that disables the task manager, a few hacks later and it works again, still, really stupid, windows task manager is a legal program and EA has no rights of disabling it!
task manager works fine for me. In fact, you can play the entire game without registering, if you don't mind having the standard maxis creatures around you (and there's plenty of those).
can't you also see all the creatures you download at the ones you create as well?
manored

Post by manored »

Creatures and other stuff you create are included in the game, and those you download and add yourself are as well.

I loved the cell stage, its not only freaking fun, but the design of your cell has total influence on its abilities: for example a thin cell might be able to swim faster but has less surface area to put stuff on, and putting a big spike in your cell will let it needle the enemy from further away but will occup more space, and the position of stuff matters instead of merely increasing a value.

I didnt liked the animal stage much because it fells too unrealistic (everthing is too organized, its like simplified tribe stage in first person) and also instead of keeping the awesome battle and creation style from cell it was changed into a stats battle... well I suppose cell style would be hard on 3d :)

Tribe stage was fine thought I think it should be in a larger scale, like population limit defined by the number of houses you have wich could be unlimited, something like that.

Civilization stage could have more depth but I found it fun and cool enough as it is, would give a really good multiplayer game :)

Space stage is awesome, except that I think there should be multiple ships you can alternate between, or maybe direct control as an option... really anyoing to have to go everwhere personally to upkeep the empire, especially if you are in a war then enemies keep attacking you frequently and your strongest force is yourself.

I played most of the game in hard level, civilization stage is hard but not impossible :) I started space stage on hard but got a ton of wars and the enemies starting attacking me no stop and I couldnt even scratch then so I gave up and started on medium space somewhere else.

As a whole I think the game could have been better, but its awesome as it is... really fun to play until space age and then review the line of your species :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Alright my 2 cents. I played on hard because I didnt want to be a bitch about moaning how easy it was.

Let me begin with the Cell stage. I felt that this part of the game was probably the most...artistic. The fluid motions were pretty neat and the constant feeling there were things ALWAYS bigger than you was pretty neat. It felt pretty relaxing even thugh you'd constantly find things alot bigger than you were.

/*Science, Cells don't mate. They are asexual and reproduce usually by binary fission. You can't be a virus becuase that is not a living thing, its simply a strip of DNA covered in a protein that hooks on and jacks a cell's nucleus and then rewrites its 'code'. Though it would be cool if you could simply create a virus and turn spore into a pandemic 3. But in reality it wouldn't be that cool. Okay maybe it would be cool to wipe out an entire galaxy but think about it, you'd be playing the cellular part of the Flood from halo.

I wish you could be a parasite, then you could play AS the Flood.

And your cell parts don't carry on into you 'land' parts. And only bacteria have flagelas(sp?) and cells dont have 'mouths'...*/

Anyways, the creature stage was some what fun if not abit of a bore. As you wander your island you meet a lot more interesting and dangerous creatures. The epic creatures especially scare the living shit out of me. This stage would have been alot funner if there were murading hordes of creatures and creatures would be moving and stuff. It felt fairly static becuase everything just stayed in their nest zone. It would have been alot cooler to see packs of creatures at war with one another.

The tribal stage was fairly...boring. I played on hard so everytime i moved out, id be attacked. id always be attacked by 2, everytime i went to attack someone i just defeated, someone else would try to attack me. That was alright. Spore definately lacks the depth of Dwarf Fortress in this sense. It would have been cool if gathering/constructing/inventing was more in depth. This part felt fairly like just an annoying stone you had to climb over to get to the higher part of the mountain. The stone simple was annoying, there was nothing grand or amazing to compliment its level of difficulty, it was simply a nuisence.

The Civ stage felt like the simplest RTS i've ever played. On hard, everyone was constantly fighting fighting fighting. Dozens of tanks, boats and then eventually planes were just roaming around for the spice. Capturing a city via seige was sometimes another nuisence. It was fairly simple, build more land vechs and build more boats and have more fire power. Get moar spice. Build moar expand. The civ on this difficulty was fairly fast paced so your brain dumbers down into the 'starcraft' mind set. Though it was pretty fun. Before i was about win, i decided to cheat for a nuke and just blew the fucking shit out of the last crimson colored city into freaking oblivion.

The space stage which is supposed to be the coup de grace of Spore felt...alright so far. I'm not that in so I cant really say anything. But it IS fun and entertaining.

I really wish that this game was alot more moddable.

I guess I was waaay too hyped up for spore. The game lacks alot of depth in everything save the Space age which there is infinite low level depth. Like a shallow pool that extends beyond the universe.

I thought that I would be able to make vast armadas and be constantly at war.

The game would probably be more fun if it was just Civ IV with a creature creator and the Space of Spore. Then there would be true depth.

If I could mod it I would make it so much better and add a billion gillian things to the space age to make it soooooo much cooler.

-Borg
-Gray Goo
-Zombies
-Flood
-Ancient Civs
-Races that live in their ships like the bentusi from HW
-Humans (eventually becoming a major major major threat)
-Enslaving
-Great Monuments
-Star Creation
-Galaxy destroyers like the ARK/Halo
-More indepth combat with space stuff like orbital bombartment from smaller class vessels and then bording the planet with tanks and stuff
-Orbital defence systems
-Worm hole creation
-Worm hole weaponry
-Sins of Solar Empire esque space combat
-The beautiful backdrops of HW2
manored

Post by manored »

I wish you could make vast armadas too, space age becomes utterly anoying if you get more than one war at once on hard level, you just have no moment of peace :(
tombom

Post by tombom »

Hoi wrote:Image

Disables might be a wrong word, but it's close.
Have you tried double clicking on the edge bit? You appear to have accidentally enabled task manager's "absolutely fucking useless" mode.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Hoi wrote:Yes peet, it's really true, but it doesnt matter in some way becaus windows is a sort of a rootkit too (WTF I DONT WANT TO CLEAN UNUSED PICTOGRAMS ON THE DESK AND I DONT CARE ABOUT MAKING OFFICE A BETTER PROGRAM, GRRR!) or adobe updates which come back even when I remove it from msconfig.
Oh, I was worried you actually knew what you were talking about. Phew.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:Yet people install steam with no complaints. Steam takes away freedoms as well.
Hardly. You can install the game on any comp so long as only one comp is playing the game at one time (You can take the other comps into offline mode ya know).

If you harddrive gets massacred, just install steam and tell it what games you want, they dl, you play. Simple as that. No worrying about fucked up cd's or dvd's, no worrying about losing the code for them. Plus games through steam are on special all the time. Hell I bought grid and cod4 through steam and I've never been happier (and yes of course hl2/source).

To each his own I guess.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Bullshit, here is my taskmanager. Something else is responsible for your jacked up setup.

yes forb, lets derail the thread to talk about steam.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you fucking assholes.

after responding to hoi's bunk reply I figured I would get an official answer.

official faq

ten day limit removed before the game came out, go ahead punch yourself in the face

Truth: there is no three install limit, there is a 3 machine limit for authorization.
-Meaning if you have 3 machines you are permitted to install it on each.
-yes, individual copies of windows count as a machine so if you are forced to reinstall winders you will need to reauth that machine and it will count as a use.
-you can have them clear your auths in case you fuck up

Truth: there is an online authorization and it is made very clear that it is done once.
-meaning that bullshit of every 10 days is bunk

people went and made wild assumptions and the one fucking time ea doesn't make the same old rushed stuff you guys shit bricks and pirate the software. It makes me furious and you pissy assholes are the ones killing the industry. I hate DRM but how many of you people really looked into what the rules were before they screamed wolf?

photoshop uses the same system you get 2 auths and if you use them up and forget to deauth before format you need to call and have your auth reset. You fucking wanks.

also /headdesk
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Sounds epically underwhelming. Anything that's hyped that much is a letdown, I tend to avoid those things. Except for The Dark Knight, that was awesome.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

smoth: post it here, spring forums aren't worth even a quarter of your desk in comparison ;p

also, the main point still holds: it's *easier* to pirate this game (this word barely qualifies, I hear, which is why I'm quickly losing interest) than to deal with its DRM.
smoth

Post by smoth »

nah, we are not going to hear the end of it, even if drm were removed people would cry about something else. What these people really want is a cause to hate and anarchy to give them freedom while the powers that be grant them their every desire. People want want want and do not ever want to give. It just the way the majority thinks. People seem to believe the world owes them something.
manored

Post by manored »

Crayfish wrote:Sounds epically underwhelming. Anything that's hyped that much is a letdown, I tend to avoid those things. Except for The Dark Knight, that was awesome.
But spore was hyped to a level where it was too much hype for the game to not be at least good, and it indeed is :)

Ah tip for people in space stage: it seens that there is some sort of limit to not let you make much profit out of your home planet, because colonies outside it produce A LOT more spice than home does... but its not worth making a colony until you have elevated the planet to at least T2.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

This sums up my thoughts:

If only rattle would get to work we could have spore in spring soon (or at least dune2).
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

smoth wrote:you fucking assholes.

after responding to hoi's bunk reply I figured I would get an official answer.

official faq

ten day limit removed before the game came out, go ahead punch yourself in the face

Truth: there is no three install limit, there is a 3 machine limit for authorization.
-Meaning if you have 3 machines you are permitted to install it on each.
-yes, individual copies of windows count as a machine so if you are forced to reinstall winders you will need to reauth that machine and it will count as a use.
-you can have them clear your auths in case you fuck up

Truth: there is an online authorization and it is made very clear that it is done once.
-meaning that bullshit of every 10 days is bunk

people went and made wild assumptions and the one fucking time ea doesn't make the same old rushed stuff you guys shit bricks and pirate the software. It makes me furious and you pissy assholes are the ones killing the industry. I hate DRM but how many of you people really looked into what the rules were before they screamed wolf?

photoshop uses the same system you get 2 auths and if you use them up and forget to deauth before format you need to call and have your auth reset. You fucking wanks.

also /headdesk
Smoth, a crusader for truth.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it comes with being ocd.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

smoth wrote:

Bullshit, here is my taskmanager. Something else is responsible for your jacked up setup.

yes forb, lets derail the thread to talk about steam.
Maybe it's becaus you have vista? Well, I hope it's not spore but something else.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

I mean hoi that was ridiculouse to begin with. I mean, sure EA fucks up big time like thinking 'maybe our players would like the Japanese to randomly turn up in our classic red alert'. But they dont go as far as to ass rape people so directly.

Edit: Yeahhhh, i gave up on Hard Space. That shit was ridiculous.

Kinda gay that i have to kind of repeat a few hours of game play.

Whats more gay is that the new speicies I started has a really really really gay voice.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”