Overlord

Overlord

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

manored

Overlord

Post by manored »

I heard someone speaking about this game on the forums and, since almost all games that get discussed here are good, I decided to give a look at it and... it is indeed good :)

In the game you are some sort of evil king, called "Overlord", who had an evil empire, a evil tower and a evil arm of creatures called "minions" in the past, but was defeated by the heroes of the races, your tower destroyed and your arm scattered. Now you have awakened again (not sure why you werent dead from before, maybe you are immortal or something) and must restore your tower and your arm and kick the ass of the heroes. As the plot advances it also gives signs of the existence of some new enemy (I havent finished the game yet).

So the game is basically about tactical planning, altough you enter the worlds and explore then with your own body, you cant (or can very little) peform better in combat by being skillfull so you have to coordinate your minions properly to achieve combat superitority. Spells, 4 kinds of minions and the possibility of equiping with stuff you find in the ground makes things more interesting.

The game is boring on the beggining since you start with only 1 kind of minion, but once you get the second the game starts asking more wits from you and it gets insteresting. It also keeps adding new stuff, such as new spells, challenges and scenarios, at a rate that just doesnt lets you get tired of it.

The only drawback I find in this game is that altough the options to command your minions are enough, the game could do with a superior system since its mostly about tactical combat... this doesnt makes the game lame tough :) One review I read somewhere claims the game needed badly a map, (It doesnt has maps) but I disagree because each part of the scenario is quite unique and you need a horrible memory to actually get lost somewhere you have already been to.
Machiosabre

Re: Overlord

Post by Machiosabre »

next week: a thrilling review of Pong! it goes left, it goes right! PONG!
manored

Post by manored »

Maybe :)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Overlord sux
nemppu

Post by nemppu »

Machiosabre wrote:next week: a thrilling review of Pong! it goes left, it goes right! PONG!
lolllll
Panda

Post by Panda »

I especially liked the Overlord's minions and thought they were very funny.
manored

Post by manored »

Panda wrote:I especially liked the Overlord's minions and thought they were very funny.
Me too :) They are so funny. I wish ever game had a advising Gnarl :)
manored

Post by manored »

manored wrote:
Panda wrote:I especially liked the Overlord's minions and thought they were very funny.
Me too :) They are so funny. I wish ever game had a advising Gnarl :)
JAZCASH wrote:Overlord sux
You know we cant discuss the quality of a game if ever post be this short :) Any specific reason?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Image 10q
Especially when you lost control over them due to a bug. I laughed hard when I lost my third fully armed mob... so hard I accidentally uninstalled it. :P

Don't know how buggy the 360 version is but the PC one had tons of game-stopping bugs (couldn't finish the poison level for example).
manored

Post by manored »

You werent using the bersek or honor spells, here you? :) (They make your minions stop obeying you until you cast then off)

So far I have only seen bugs in stuff carring (minions stop carring stuff even tough there are no obstacles) but then this happens I usually kill all the remaining enemies, leave the area and then return to get it. Areas seen to have 2 kinds of enemies: The regular enemies that always respawn then you leave, wich are few and weak, and the strong enemies that you need to kill only once, wich are many and strong. It also seens that this bug happens mostly on Heavens peak and a bit on the forest, havent seen it afterwards.

Once I had a bug where I got traped between a wall and a transportable object in such a manner I couldnt move nor the object could be moved, luckly I was close to the 4 gates so I didnt had to cast away my minions to force-return to the tower.

I also once had a minion get traped in a wall, but then you have 30 you dont miss one :) And they dont need to be with you to be conserved then you leave the stage.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

you don't get to extort sexual favors from the elf ladies in return for rescuing them, this game is no fun
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

what game allows that though?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

witcher
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

link me to the site :wink:
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

You know we cant discuss the quality of a game if ever post be this short :) Any specific reason?[/quote]

Goblins and Sheep aren't my thing.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

You prefer donkeys and horses, we know
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Pigs and cream actually
manored

Post by manored »

JAZCASH wrote:
You know we cant discuss the quality of a game if ever post be this short :) Any specific reason?
Goblins and Sheep aren't my thing.[/quote] But globins and sheeps are soo much fun! Ever played sheep, dog and wolf? Ever played Dungeon Keeper? Someone should make a game where globins have sheep cavalary! :)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I played Sheep Dog and Wolf when I was about 10, and I must admit it was teh sex, but now I'm older I'm more into guns, blood, women and the occasional pig smothered in cream but come on, at least Sheep dog and wolf made sense. Having goblins, elves, sheep and humans in the same dimension chasing each other just doesn't do it for me.
manored

Post by manored »

Chaos is fun, the more chaos, the more fun. But if its your choice... :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”