Threads

Threads

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Machiosabre

Threads

Post by Machiosabre »

I want to make a bunch of pointless threads with no content whatsoever, but lack inspiration.
please post ideas for threads in this thread.
AF
AI Developer

Re: Threads

Post by AF »

Lets discuss a random inanimate object filled with air
smoth

Post by smoth »

GPL
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Lets discuss sandwhichs. Not sandwichs.
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

AF wrote:Lets discuss a random inanimate object filled with air
is it a balloon?

manored

Post by manored »

Make threads about how you can measure the size of stars with peanuts.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

fnord
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

5 tons of flax
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

reminded me of when i spent like a month picking flax on runescape. ugh what a horrible memory.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

That game taught me alot about the proccess of metal purification.
url_00

Post by url_00 »

Muzic wrote:That game taught me alot about the proccess of metal purification.
Boy you got that right! :lol:
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

The Supreme Court ruled this week that raping a child is not grounds for the death penalty, provided the child did not die. The case was brought to the United States Supreme Court after the Supreme Court of Louisiana issued the death penalty on a man who had raped his eight-year-old daughter, overturning that decision.

Justice Anthony Kennedy said that executing the man would violate the US Constitution's Eight Amendment, which forbids "cruel and unusual punishment."

Moreover, this would have been the first time that someone was executed for child rape since 1964, and the death penalty has not been used against rapists of adult victims since 1977.

The overall sentiment of the ruling, and of Justice Kennedy's remarks, was of restraint and caution. He also stressed that when employed, the death penalty should be used with the greatest decency possible.

There were detractors, of course. Justice Samuel Alito wrote that the Court's decision conflicts with Eight Amendment principles, and that it ignores the "moral depravity" of child rape and the "grievous injury" it inflicts on its victims and society at large.

This goes beyond the pro-or-anti debate regarding capital punishment. Wherever you may fall on the issue, this raises a litany of additional questions about the gray area of moral turpitude and fair punishment.
url_00

Post by url_00 »

manored wrote:Make threads about how you can measure the size of stars with peanuts.
That's a great idea! (Better then Dragon's imo [j/k])
Elkvis

Post by Elkvis »

Up, out of the gutter go...
Dragon45 wrote:This goes beyond the pro-or-anti debate regarding capital punishment. Wherever you may fall on the issue, this raises a litany of additional questions about the grey area of moral turpitude and fair punishment.
Aye, and it also raises the question of what you think the purpose of the judicial system is.

As an outsider looking into the American System, you sense that the judicial system has a strong and entrenched undercurrent of exacting retribution and vengeance. Likewise the idea of being having a deterent through force is at the very top of the list of things that has caused many of America's problems. I have a series of support arguments for this, but I wont bore you with a wall off text unless someone objects with this hypothesis. The whole concept of the death penalty rests on top of this misguided framework. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-american (not in this context anyway), but only idiot would not agree that they have their fair share of issues. nationalism makes me sick.

An incestuous paedophile rapists is a difficult example because it evokes strong emotions. But, I am of the strong opinion that any legal system should be objective.

The rape of a 8 year old is so deprave as to be fairly inconceivable. but, I believe that paedophilia and incestuousness (although I've never actually attempted to cognitively analyse the later) are boarder line mental illnesses. No quantity of punishment is going to prevent the urge that drove this person to commit this heinous crime. No quantity of punishment is going to instil the morals that would have prevented them from doing it the first time.

But, and here is the controversial bit, I'd like to think that the western world has moved beyond the point where it permanently imprisons its mentally challenged. The goal I think, after their punishment has lead it course, is to provide the infrastructure where an individual can lead a meaningful life without unacceptable risk of causing harm to themselves or others.

In this case, its hard to say how. Presumably this person is highly functional, which makes balancing their rights after their punishment has finished and the rights of the community a tough question.

I heard recently in Australia about chemically neutering (blocking testosterone) dangerous sexual criminals. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I'm not sure how an individual would feel about that afterwards.
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

Start a profoundly bland blog, then posts about it here to try and drum up interest.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Supreme Court of Louisiana issued the death penalty on a man who had raped his eight-year-old daughter, overturning that decision.
Fuck yeah, we need to issue those more often! :P
Gota

Post by Gota »

I dont understand one thing about it all..if being gay is a genetic disposition maybe being attracted to little kids is 2.
I dont understand how these 2 are somehow divided by the genom..can genes define atraction to males or females or children?..etc..if being gay isnt a psychological problem why is pedophilia?It is obviously not the same since gay people do not put others at risk with their attraction and it is directed at adults just like straight people's attraction.
I just dont understand how our genes can make that seperation.
manored

Post by manored »

Gota wrote:I dont understand one thing about it all..if being gay is a genetic disposition maybe being attracted to little kids is 2.
I dont understand how these 2 are somehow divided by the genom..can genes define atraction to males or females or children?..etc..if being gay isnt a psychological problem why is pedophilia?It is obviously not the same since gay people do not put others at risk with their attraction and it is directed at adults just like straight people's attraction.
I just dont understand how our genes can make that seperation.
I think that pedophilia is a pysychologic problem because people dont need just to fell atracted by children, they also need to have the pyschologic disorder that will make then rape then... like, most men feel atracted by women, but a very very small amount of then have the pyschologic problems that make then rape right?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Lolz.You cant be a pedophile and not rape...isnt that obvious?i mean can an adult and a child have a normal relationship lolz? u crazy?
imagine a man who is attracted to women but cant have sex with them ever..Itsanintersting subject...not thepedophilia but the gay issue.
Psychiatry aannounced homosexuality as rooted in the genes but done so after tremendeous pressure from gay groups..
Panda

Post by Panda »

Gota wrote:imagine a man who is attracted to women but cant have sex with them ever..
I've heard that there have, at least, been some hard core, Irish priests out there who were like that. They used to stand in frozen water to pray and they drank wine without turning their body into an amusement park instead of a temple. They were extremely religious and said they could talk to God.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”