Is Contributing Required?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

This comes from an issue raised elsewhere that has been on several occasions raised before.

Some believe that materially contributing to the community is required in order to be entitled to post here. (Materially contributing = making maps, making mods, writing Spring code, writing Lua.)

Others believe that anyone is entitled to post, regardless of contribution or ability to contribute.

What are your opinions on the issue?
Dash_Riprock

Re: Is Contributing Required?

Post by Dash_Riprock »

You mean just off-topic or what?
kiki

Post by kiki »

u need to contribute. Anti-troll tactic.

Also, this would support unbanning of emmanuel.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Uh what exactly do or did you contribute then, kiki?

Anyway, to answer your question: it would be nice to have a seperate player and content dev board to take care of that but unless that happens, no.

Is this going to end up in a flamewar? :P
[ ] yes [ ] maybe
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

no.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

FREE SPEECH RULES
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I'll contribute by telling you all how much you all suck, a lot.

case closed!
I2:Isaacment_Day

Post by I2:Isaacment_Day »

no you just have to act like you are
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

i am a very important asset to the spring communi- err forums
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

No, see, I even get to be a mod, and all I've done is post since spring came out, and occasionally winge about stuff that doesn't work right ;) :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

It should not be required to post. That is a silly question, this is both a community site and a development site. I do feel that the trolling needs a serious crackdown though.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

smoth wrote:It should not be required to post. That is a silly question, this is both a community site and a development site. I do feel that the trolling needs a serious crackdown though.
Not to mention the epic flamewars generated by talented but overly-sensitive content developers.
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

You can also contribute and not play the game at all...

*Notes how I thrown myself in the deep end of mod wars and new site discussion, when I only ever spec/play single player*
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:
smoth wrote:It should not be required to post. That is a silly question, this is both a community site and a development site. I do feel that the trolling needs a serious crackdown though.
Not to mention the epic flamewars generated by talented but overly-sensitive content developers.
point in case on trolling.
Sertse wrote:*Notes how I thrown myself in the deep end of mod wars and new site discussion, when I only ever spec/play single player*
Sertse wrote:when I only ever spec/play single player*
Sertse wrote: I only ever spec/play single player*
Sertse wrote:play single player*
LIES! there is no single player.
DemO

Post by DemO »

Smoth you're fucking stupid <-- trolling

How you see what pxtl has said as trolling is totally beyond me. OH WAIT, YOU'RE BEING SENSITIVE. THE IRONY.
manored

Post by manored »

I remember that really long ago I wrote a flaw filled BA dictionary that most people deemed as useless (incluiding, later, myself). Its a contribuition tough so Im in! :)

Anyway I dont agree with contribuition being required. We can just ban people who troll... but since losing 75% of the forum community all of a sudden would be a shock, we can ban only the guys who troll a lot ;)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I wrote the manual. Also... Chess Mod.

No really... I've just been here since the beginning and tend to not act like a hormonal teenage emo-kid, whiner baby, Xbox fanboy, AOLer or whatever Comp1337 is... most of the time.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Of course not. Even if it was, you'd get a lot of problems re what counts as contributing.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

People post opinions and decisions on the forums, or maybe theyre just having fun and making the most of it, but when they're not you have to evaluate their responses.

If that person develops or creates content or some kind be that code or a title that implies responsibility or authority be that a moderator a map maker or a coder, that lends weight to their argument because they can actually do something with what they think, they have the necessary will power to do something or persuade someone who can.

But when someone has not contributed anything material to the community then they're evaluated based on what respect and standing they have, their tone and attitude, and the merits of their argument.

However the merits of an argument are not the final say and people must understand that a condescending tone and a negative critical stance will leave your posts ignored and your respect somewhat lacking. If you haven't contributed to the community in material worth you need to get by on who you are as a person and a lot of people are in the habit of spending kudos they never had to spend.

This thread in itself was likely started because of a pm reply I sent to felix. It wasn't exactly the most rosy of private messages but needs facilitated that I got the point across, and one of my points was that because of felix's hostile stance and his reliance on mere kudos to lend weight to his arguments, as well as his overall negative critical attitude, that I felt I did not have much reason to listen to his points, especially when accused of a vendetta, and that to do so was inviting trouble.

Because of this felix was best to keep clear and throw aside the notion of a vendetta against him. I couldn't care less any more, and I'm more inclined to find the whole affair rather amusing, but it's not fair to waste community time and thread derailment for my personal pleasure, nor do I wish myself or felix to have to spend time writing private messages that ultimately do not get us anywhere, especially when felix has admitted trolling me but refuses to accept any wrongdoing on his part, how he expects me to place any trust in him and work towards a healthy relationship of sorts I do not know.

I must admit myself though I am not a perfect individual, and I may come across as arrogant at times, although it is not my intention, and for that I apologise. However I do think people believe I take things to heart far more than I actually do, and as I always say, imagine a =p at the end of every one of my posts.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

SPRINGFORUMS R SERIUS BIZNES AF

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”