Which game requires more skill? - Page 3

Which game requires more skill?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Which game requires more skill?

Call of Duty 4
75%
Halo 3
25%

Total votes: 20

smoth

Re: Which game requires more skill?

Post by smoth »

I play it on my xbox.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the best test of skill would be to allow a console fps converted to the pc to play vs console players online. then, while console players are slooowwlly turning round with their dirty little analog sticks and girly autoaim, mouse users will be dishing out the unconsensual intercourse with the ability to turn 360 degrees in under three seconds
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I know that sniping, teamwork and use of special grenades in CoD4 all require levels of patience, communication, awareness and timing which do not appear in Halo at all. I know this through play of both in a variety of situations.

Not to say Halo doesn't require some skill, but it is observably less cerebral and less complex.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

neddiedrow wrote:Not to say Halo doesn't require some skill, but it is observably less cerebral and less complex.
Which is why Halo is funner, while CoD 4 is more intense.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I got bored of Halo kind of fast, but sure. Different strokes for different folks.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Peet wrote:
gamer17 wrote:I don't think you are even a die heart Halo player, you seem too smart for that
This one line is more intentionally offensive than the sum of SwiftSpear's posts - and he has 4977 of them.
What are you talking about? If anything it's a compliment, he's saying, "You're too smart to be a Halo player". If someone said that to me, I'd buy them lunch and give them my daughter as a concubine.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Caydr wrote:
Peet wrote:
gamer17 wrote:I don't think you are even a die heart Halo player, you seem too smart for that
This one line is more intentionally offensive than the sum of SwiftSpear's posts - and he has 4977 of them.
What are you talking about? If anything it's a compliment, he's saying, "You're too smart to be a Halo player". If someone said that to me, I'd buy them lunch and give them my daughter as a concubine.
Well yeah it's not insulting Swift, but it's pretty flagrantly inflammatory toward halo fans.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:the best test of skill would be to allow a console fps converted to the pc to play vs console players online. then, while console players are slooowwlly turning round with their dirty little analog sticks and girly autoaim, mouse users will be dishing out the unconsensual intercourse with the ability to turn 360 degrees in under three seconds

QFFT

A friend of mine loves halo 3, baaaws like a bitch when I beat him, and says that even if we were playing on PC he would kick my ass (even tho he has never played an fps on a pc). Heh. Lolz.

Bitch please. If we were on pc I would headshot him before he even knew where he was.

THEN, theres the halo players who use radar. WTF? What pc fps uses radar? Ungh, the idiocy of console only fps players astounds me.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Forboding Angel wrote:What pc fps uses radar?
Aliens vs Predator
Good times
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

I own Call of Duty 4 on PC and it's even more intense, try playing crash 15 v 15
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Forboding Angel wrote:THEN, theres the halo players who use radar. WTF? What pc fps uses radar? Ungh, the idiocy of console only fps players astounds me.
Some people like to see if somebody is above them, behind them, or invisible. If you have halo CE, I challenge thee to a 1v1 Chiron with shotguns, and then you can tell me if the radar is useless. :P

...unless I'm misinterpreting you and you actually mean it's stupid. I usually play with it off :P
pintle

Post by pintle »

Comp1337 wrote:
Aliens vs Predator
Good times
Marine FTL

Light pred using only disk and wristblades FTW

My rig is broken atm but should be sorting out something soonish, anybody want to play AvP2 on hamachi send me a pm pls :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

actually, I don't see much in the way of auto aim in COD4. It is more about actually aiming. A lot of the time you will run, brace to a wall, crouch aim and shoot. Not a lot of shooting from the hip.

So meh, like I said, give it a shot. Normally I don't care for the realism fps and all but cod4 is the first exception. Really, people need to try it.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

pintle wrote:
Comp1337 wrote:
Aliens vs Predator
Good times
Marine FTL

Light pred using only disk and wristblades FTW

My rig is broken atm but should be sorting out something soonish, anybody want to play AvP2 on hamachi send me a pm pls :-)
Tbh i like the mood of the first much more
Also, Marines lose but they are so much fun to play
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Agreed. original AvP had amazing atmosphere, even if it was rather unbalanced. Kind of a shame it was nigh-impossible to mod, since with a balance mod it would have been wtfamazing.
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

The radar in cod4 is not the same as halos.
You only get the radar once a UAV has been called in, and some people have radar jammers on .
The radars is not even in real time.

The radar in halo is always on
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I love my stealth shotgun build - no shot spots on radar, no UAV spots on radar... just my knife for the journey and a shotgun in reserve.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Forboding Angel wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:the best test of skill would be to allow a console fps converted to the pc to play vs console players online. then, while console players are slooowwlly turning round with their dirty little analog sticks and girly autoaim, mouse users will be dishing out the unconsensual intercourse with the ability to turn 360 degrees in under three seconds
THEN, theres the halo players who use radar. WTF? What pc fps uses radar? Ungh, the idiocy of console only fps players astounds me.
CounterStrike, DoD, NS, AvP... and a plethora of others. Many of them don't show you hostiles on radar though. And others, like NS, only show you hostiles when they are in the line of sight of an ally.

Seriously, halo requires alot of skill. It doesn't decrease the skill required for a game making the interface worse, it means you devote more time and effort, and develop a more difficult skill, just to get over the crappy interface. The controller is harder to use for shooters than the PC mouse and keyboard is. If a player can get reasonably good on a console shooter at all, you can assume they have developed FAR more skill than an average PC shooter player. Their character may not reflect it by it's actions, but take a PC player and put them on the controller instead of the PC and they would be doing alot worse than the other way around.
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

Cod 4 is alos on ps3 and xbox
I play pc and console games, and will own on any system
I played on pc beforeI got my ps3, but I also play on xbox because my friend has it on xbox.

Cod4 allows you to make a custom character by picking weapons and special abilities like more heatlh, carrying to weapons, or hearing what the other team is saying

You earn upgrades for weapons and paint jobs for them
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

WOW! Really... sounds more like compensation for these slow-mo console players.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”