Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long) - Page 5

Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

BlueTemplar

Re: Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long)

Post by BlueTemplar »

That's all? OnLive seems a really big deal to me (if it works), and it will adress many of the points of Argh's original post:

- No worries about hardware power: you want to make a new Crysis, but with even more outrageous hardware requirements? No problem! Everyone will be able to play it, from standard TV to Linux eeePC!

- No need to develop separate games for each console and OS out there.

- Minimal technical support required.

- No piracy.

I really don't like it for several reasons, but it looks like a total game changer to me (again, if it does work).
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Argh, old topic is old, but in reply to your suggestion 4 on how game developers could try to get back on form...

They did try a union-esque idea. The IGDA exists partly for that purpose. Unfortunately, they aren't exactly... good at it.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Is PC gaming dead yet again?
Or is it just another revolution wich will change it completely :roll:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Auswaschbar wrote:Is PC gaming dead yet again?
Or is it just another revolution wich will change it completely :roll:
No, it's like 50% on steam though. It's probably stronger now than it once was if anything. Steam punishes developers for releasing low reviewing games, and gives old titles/studios a chance to compete with the big boys if their product is solid. It's also an incredibly positive force for the indie gaming scene, as they can reach the majority chunk of the market, with a low priced offering, at a fraction of the publishing cost it would take to put their game in a box. The steam guys have been incredibly proactive about advertising the Indie scene as well.

I think in the next 10 years, if the vast majority of your PC games aren't purchased over steam you're going to be in the tiny minority. I'm sure the brick and mortar stores will still be around, but they will be selling primarily console games. The PC games they sell will be the fancy tricked out collector version with all kinds of added crap like concept art collectors books and stuff. Only a few Studios will bother.

It's really really interesting that, in gaming, we see the same thing happening we saw with the music industry, where the brick and mortar studios are more and more getting utterly slayed. Yet, in gaming, they may be able to blame piracy, but it's REALLY not the majority factor. The vast majority of people buy games.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

don't expect to play PC games unless you want to spend alot of money on your computer.

I bought crysis because of its high end engine use. Crysis wouldn't be crysis unless it was such a hardware whore.

consoles have tighter groups of players than any PC game ive ever seen, due to the fact the interface is all about having friends who have all your games, instead of PC gaming where you might share 1 game in common.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Spawn_Retard wrote:don't expect to play PC games unless you want to spend alot of money on your computer.

I bought crysis because of its high end engine use. Crysis wouldn't be crysis unless it was such a hardware whore.

consoles have tighter groups of players than any PC game ive ever seen, due to the fact the interface is all about having friends who have all your games, instead of PC gaming where you might share 1 game in common.
I'd disagree. Many PC games have pretty much reached religion status to large segments of their player base. I find it hard to believe that there are large groups of console players are nearly as addictive as your average WoW guild or CAL CS clan. Plus, PC game internet forums... Some of those places are absurd.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Console games feel rigid compared to pc games...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

PC games do more therefore demand more. Console games are great because they do what they need to without loads of tiny little extras and needing to fork out more money as better more demanding games are released.

I myself used to be addicted to the Halo series for years and played it just as much as Spring and loved it just as much. However, console games eventually get boring as the game developers stop creating new content for their games and go ahead and release completely new ones. There goes another £50 in less than 5 months.

Most decent PC games nowadays are very customizable, user and community content is regularly added to the game and the games can be customized to a very fine extent.

The main reason consoles "rule the earth" is because most people would prefer to plug in and play rather than fork out for a high end spec gaming PC. Also a lot of people aren't technology addicted geeky whores. PC games usually require quite an advanced computer knowledge to be able to operate and play to their full extent.

Not to mention the fact that PC's are around 80% more prone to crash and burn than a console.

There are literally hundreds of reasons why consoles are better than PC's and why PC's are better than consoles. There is no better, both are designed to do different things and play different types of games.

Ultimately, with price, performance, graphics, usability, simplicity, gameplay and the feature factor in mind, there is no winner.

People use what suits them best, or just go with the flow.
Last edited by Jazcash on 09 Apr 2009, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

So basically your saying pc games are much better...k got you.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

The fact that console gamers usally share more than one means tighter larger groups.

Have you seen the following that COD4 has?

The sequal is meant to out sell everything of that year, games wise on any platform
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Spawn_Retard wrote:The fact that console gamers usally share more than one means tighter larger groups.

Have you seen the following that COD4 has?

The sequal is meant to out sell everything of that year, games wise on any platform
I believe that. COD4 is pretty much the best game since Goldeneye came out. At least in terms of having a massive single player game, and an incredibly solid multiplayer game all rolled into one.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

COD 4 Was awesome, playing Single Player on Veteran difficulty was very entertaining.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I dunno about on the xbox but on the PS3, CoD4 looks like DICKS compared to on the pc. And of course graphics are everything.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

COD 5 was a sack of shit
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:COD 5 was a sack of shit
Amen to that.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Cloud computing stuff is one of those ideas that's arriving too soon for its own good, in my opinion.

It won't work well until fiber to the desktop is a lot more prevalent, due to network issues and bandwidth problems. Latency will result in a really horrid experience, because they can only render so far ahead of the game-state before the game doesn't make any sense anymore.

And, in the end... meh... they'll end up confronting massive problems, trying to get developers to sign on. Competing hardware requirements and technical specifications will make it all very problematic. I can see it working for MMOs, but successful MMOs have been making a killing by keeping their hardware requirements low anyhow.

I don't know who their audience is, basically. The people who can't afford decent PCs to run games are the same people who cannot afford the kind of serious broadband with clean pings that is necessary to make the whole concept workable.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:COD 5 was a sack of shit
I second this motion.

I have COD4 and COD5 for both xbox and PC. (used to own it for my PS3 also, until i got bored of having a console that was a heep of shit).

The graphics are on PAR, or a little lower on my xbox compared to my PC (nvidia 9800) And that was only anti aliasing, which tbh is fairly unoticable unless your looking at the gun all the way through the game.

Content is massively better on PC, due to the free downloads and endless amount of user created mods and maps.

Game community and gameplay is far superior on Xbox.

You dont get asshole admins telling you how to play on Xbox.

e.g. play with a certain weapon and your banned, or no running within buildings (wtf?)

control sticks work better for COD4 than it has done for any other FPS ive played, almost perfect tbh, the level of sensitivity caters for everyone.

online will suck your life away sort of like WOW and you wont be called a faggot for playing it either.

Thus cult status, and pre-orders of the sequal as soon as it came publicly announced.

FPS perfection.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I always loved those servers where admins wanted to create imaginary rules that all the players had to follow.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

SwiftSpear wrote:I always loved those servers where admins wanted to create imaginary rules that all the players had to follow.
yeah, im so glad people dont do that kind of stuff in here, like trying to ban combombing or rushing
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Spawn_Retard wrote: Game community and gameplay is far superior on Xbox.

You dont get asshole admins telling you how to play on Xbox.

e.g. play with a certain weapon and your banned, or no running within buildings (wtf?)
i think this is only because communicating in consoles is mainly limited to microphone speaking

IE you cant just hit hit enter and start typing "OMG HAX BAN, OMFG NOOB NADER", you have to open your mouth and start talking with your 12 year old helium voice after you die, instead of typing it instantly after like in PC.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”