Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long) - Page 7

Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Re: Why Consoles Rule the Earth (v. long)

Post by Snipawolf »

SwiftSpear wrote:Once upon a time there were screaming little kids in PC gaming. Luckily parents are too afraid of the internet these days due to all those hackers on steroids on the fox news, so the kiddies have mostly graduated to xbox live.
You can stay on the internet, but we're buying a watch dog, just in case! Love you sweetums!
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Who do you love?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Daddy?
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

The fact that people openly talk about how much they enjoy COD4
And people enjoying other games talk about them.. secretly? Nice.
buy all the stuff that goes with it
What "stuff"? T-Shirts? Cups? Keychains? How is that cult and not marketing? Furthermore, buying vaguely associated merchandise seems more like douchebagness to me, i.e. Ferrari cups, gear knobs, stickers.
being the only xbox game in history to keep it price for nearly 2 years?
That is a good achievement, which can be attributed easily to the fact that you have no real alternatives to the game on the xbox, considering COD5 was regarded widely as suckage.

COD4 is a mainstream game that is good but will soon be replaced by another one, that just looks a little more shinier and plays a little more fluid and after that, COD4 community as you know it now will wither.

Give it a few years and you will see what i mean. By using its popularity when it hasn't even got a chance to age (~1.5 years) to judge its cult status is plain stupid. By that logic Mad Max is less of a cult movie than Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift.

There is a world outside xbox Live, id suggest you experience it and the included cult classics before voicing yourself on the subject.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Gertkane wrote:
The fact that people openly talk about how much they enjoy COD4
And people enjoying other games talk about them.. secretly? Nice.
buy all the stuff that goes with it
What "stuff"? T-Shirts? Cups? Keychains? How is that cult and not marketing? Furthermore, buying vaguely associated merchandise seems more like douchebagness to me, i.e. Ferrari cups, gear knobs, stickers.
being the only xbox game in history to keep it price for nearly 2 years?
That is a good achievement, which can be attributed easily to the fact that you have no real alternatives to the game on the xbox, considering COD5 was regarded widely as suckage.

COD4 is a mainstream game that is good but will soon be replaced by another one, that just looks a little more shinier and plays a little more fluid and after that, COD4 community as you know it now will wither.

Give it a few years and you will see what i mean. By using its popularity when it hasn't even got a chance to age (~1.5 years) to judge its cult status is plain stupid. By that logic Mad Max is less of a cult movie than Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift.

There is a world outside xbox Live, id suggest you experience it and the included cult classics before voicing yourself on the subject.

I skimmed your post in knowing that your idea of anything nerdy is regarded as "douchebagness" If you want to act a jock inside the internet, please do, but don't make a debate about something you most obviously understand.

Fair enough you say that it could be marketing, but what i said and meant was that this was in high quantities, and unlike other games that suck and have a few fan boys that may buy a shirt or something, merchandise for this game goes beyond cups and key chains.

COD4 has many alternatives if you actually want to go down this road.

Ever heard of halo 3? The most pre-ordered game in xbox history?
Battle field series?
Call of duty series?
Doom 4?
Far Cry 2?
Turok?
Quake 4?
Left 4 Dead?
ect.

All of these, SOLID releases that are active, yet are surpassed by Call of Duty.

These release are multiplayer, and if you want to go single player then you add games like Bioshock, Prey and the Darkness to the mix.

All beaten by COD4.

You don't need 20 years under your belt to have cult status. It is true that you could claim a FAD status on something like this, but unlike clothing, music ect. FAD games get old fast. (FAD = things that are very popular for a short time only)

It is true that Call of duty 5 is "suckage" only because it was a squeal to well designed game.

It will be hard to tell if Call of duty modern warfare 2 will be better than the first also.

If call of duty 5 had came before 4 then there wouldnt have been so much bad press about it.

The fact you call collecting merchandise and things to do with the product, "douchebagness" and nothing to do with its popularity tells me your the one who needs to read up upon cult status.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Buying a shirt from your favorite band is douchebagness?

Buying a keychain for your favorite game is douchebagness?

Buying any merchandise made for anything is douchebagness?

Showing what you care about via what you wear actually sounds like a good idea. That makes it easier to judge people. If you're wearing a shirt and I like it, I'm more likely to talk to you. The inverse is also true.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I dont know but this thread is starting to be pretty douchey itself...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Was it ever otherwise?

I love L4D and CoD4.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Halo 3
The worst rated game in the series. All things considered it did very well.
Battle field series?
No decent single player, past it's prime, not really all that amazing a game.
Call of duty series?
WW2 games. RIDICULOUSLY saturated market
Doom 4?
Hasn't been released yet
Far Cry 2?
No multiplayer, reviewed poorly because it's repetitive and gets boring
Turok?
TERRIBLE game, they've made James Bond spinoff games that are better
Quake 4?
No decent single player, not a very popular genre (same reason Unreal Tourny 3 didn't throw up amazing numbers)
Left 4 Dead?
No decent single player, very short, not a ton of content, experimental genre.
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

The fact you call collecting merchandise and things to do with the product, "douchebagness" and nothing to do with its popularity tells me your the one who needs to read up upon cult status.
I said it seems that way to me because the average ferrari merchandise buyer popped to mind and nowhere did i say it had nothing to do with its popularity. You pretty much took one line and started nagging on it like an old lady as if i didnt have a valid point about the marketing part. Also i am quite the nerd, yet somehow you try to make me out as an e-jock who hates nerd guts.

I did not know Doom4 was a solid active released game, wow, i learn new things every day. Anyhow, Switfspear's post pretty much sums up my thoughts about that list of games you gave.

Since you have resorted to bending and putting words into my mouth i see no reason to continue this discussion with you.

EDIT: Oh and to be on topic, consoles will not rule the earth as long as their content is being made on PCs.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

I normaly like your factual post's but today your not on the ball Swiftspear.

My writing will be in red to clear things up.
SwiftSpear wrote:Halo 3
The worst rated game in the series. All things considered it did very well. [Okay, opinion number one. You've stated it's doing well, so does this mean that you may have a opinion that differs from 99% of the people that play it? The large amount of people that play it?]
Battle field series?
No decent single player, past it's prime, not really all that amazing a game. [No where near past it's prime, the story line was a lengthy, solid single player with a great ending. The multiplayer is still as active as it was when it was first released. The demo of this game included one map and one game mod, and if i can recall from xbox itself, it was the number one downloaded demo until the demo time ended.]
Call of duty series?
WW2 games. RIDICULOUSLY saturated market [True they are saturated in that they have visited about every war that has ever happened. Re-visiting in higher graphics and gameplay though does not mean failure]
Doom 4?
Hasn't been released yet [I was referring to Doom 3, but in hindsight that really does not matter much.]
Far Cry 2?
No multiplayer, reviewed poorly because it's repetitive and gets boring [WRONG. Have you even played it? There's multiplayer games coming out of its ass. Being Repetitive in that killing people isn't in 99% of all FPS?]
Turok?
TERRIBLE game, they've made James Bond spinoff games that are better [Turok has a good story line with a great multiplayer if you actually get a decent connection. (near impossible in how shitty they have not optimised graphics, and makes it a fairly laggy game) out of the 1/5 games where you get a decent game, the multiplayer is fast paced, and fun when including dinos into the mix.]
Quake 4?
No decent single player, not a very popular genre (same reason Unreal Tourny 3 didn't throw up amazing numbers) [Granted that the single player is based on the multiplayer which does bring a certain cheapness to it, but i was not after the singleplayer in this game, Bioshock and the darkness are singleplayer games, this is a pure multiplayer. Just like unreal tourny 3]
Left 4 Dead?
No decent single player, very short, not a ton of content, experimental genre. [Single player is an adaption of the multiplayer yes, but this game was meant to be played Online with Friends like i had stated at the start, before going after single player'd games]
And now for you.
Gertkane wrote:

I said it seems that way to me because the average ferrari merchandise buyer popped to mind and nowhere did i say it had nothing to do with its popularity. You pretty much took one line and started nagging on it like an old lady as if i didnt have a valid point about the marketing part. Also i am quite the nerd, yet somehow you try to make me out as an e-jock who hates nerd guts.

I did not know Doom4 was a solid active released game, wow, i learn new things every day. Anyhow, Switfspear's post pretty much sums up my thoughts about that list of games you gave.

Since you have resorted to bending and putting words into my mouth i see no reason to continue this discussion with you.

EDIT: Oh and to be on topic, consoles will not rule the earth as long as their content is being made on PCs.

I think the fact your retracting your idea of "douchebagness" is a clear indication of the attitude on which you attacked my post, trying to undermine me by being derogative about buying merchandise about a certain game. Buying Ferrari Merchandise is not in anyway different to what i'm trying to tell you. There is nothing wrong with it, and to act like a pompous known-it-all will not win you any stars.

I took the one line out of your sentence because beyond that all you did was go on about your ideas of cult status on a something that is already massive and undeniably popular with a lot of people. This one line is a clear indication that your idea of what's cool and acceptable as something cult status is clearly different to my own and several others.

If you want to end a debate by saying "Since you have resorted to bending and putting words into my mouth i see no reason to continue this discussion with you." please in no way expect me to comply with this, because one this is immature and a great example of why you shouldn't have replied to me in the first place.

I did NOT twist your words, i mealy picked up on your attitude and direction in which you were taking the post, and decided to base my argument off the two paragraphs because that the rest was just woffle on the exact same point.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

The only reason I got an Xbox and 360 was for the Halo series.
You can't beat a good bit of Halo 2. Halo 3 was incredibly hyped though and I don't think any game could live up to that amount of hype...

Halo1 < Halo2 > Halo3
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

JAZCASH wrote:The only reason I got an Xbox and 360 was for the Halo series.
You can't beat a good bit of Halo 2. Halo 3 was incredibly hyped though and I don't think any game could live up to that amount of hype...

Halo1 < Halo2 > Halo3

It's true that halo 1 was the best addition as it was original fun content, and that halo 2 is far different from halo 1, and that halo 3 is mearly halo 2 but on next gen.

I personally bought the legandary addition of halo 3, and have bought the highest addition for any halo based game (including halo wars :p .... which is fun :roll: :lol: )
Picture related to the stuff i bought for halo 3, and continue to wake up every day to see spartan helmet.

Pitty you cant wear it though :p
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Now, if Consoles like the X-Box ruuled the Earth, and get standardequipped with Mouse and Keyboard, Intertubesconnection - and somebody wallhacks them to gain acces to steam...

why not say, PCs, through trojan adaptability have conquered the living rooms? And that consoles were just a temporarily fork in the road?

LastLineTroll: Masterchief has WholeBodyFungus from wearing that Suit all day... and taking his Helmet off counts as a violation of the Biological WeaponBan...

Just envying Halo3 who never made it to the PC
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Look spawn. I'm not trying to poopoo those games. They're all, (with the possible exception of turok) great games. COD 4 is just without any of the faults that any of those games have. Ya, some of the faults in those games are very minor, but COD doesn't have those. It's metacritic ratings are in the range of 5 to 10 points higher than every game on that list, and it's put up some of the best metacritic ratings of all time.

You can quite happily play the single player COD4 and entirely ignore the multiplayer, and you can quite happily play entirely the multiplayer and completely ignore the single player, in both fields it gives you easily one of the best games in the last 5 years. Simply put, there's something in that game for nearly everyone on the social spectrum.

Simply put, the popularity of the game is justified, and I'm just giving the reasons why the other games you listed aren't as popular.

I will admit I'm wrong about the Farcry 2 multiplayer thing. I actually do own the game, I just never bothered with multiplayer and mistakingly assumed that meant it didn't have it. Like I say, I wasn't meaning to poopoo the game, I found it alot of fun, it was one of the better single player things I've done in the past little while... even edging out Fallout 3 and Mass Effect (although the issues with both those were stability primarily). The game reviewed poorly because, while it's a very long game, it repeats the same mission structure over and over and over, the character development is pretty poor, and it lacks some of the polish some of it's competitors have. That being said, it's easily 15 hours of legitimate and honest fun before you'll even start to get bored, that's more than many other games in the genre can give, and if you have the kind of personality for it, maby a little OCD, you probably won't get bored so easy and be able to finish the game with all the 40-60 some odd hours of gameplay that awards.

In the end of the day, the gaming market is FIERCELY competitive, and the minorest error or failure on the part of a game will slightly drive down the review scores, and in turn will cause less spectacular sales figures. If you can think of a left wing excuse not to buy a game, you can bet that at least 1,000,000 consumers have actually used that excuse and bought something else instead. COD4 is, simply put, steel tower solid, and that's the reason it's the best selling game in the market today.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I like to play both console and pc games. But, I have to admit that I haven't been able to find enough pc games with killer fungus in it. "Kameo: Elements of Power" for the Xbox has plenty of fungus in it. Bloody fungus!
Attachments
BleedingToothFungus.jpg
BleedingToothFungus.jpg (85.43 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

They look like sweets! ^_^
Panda

Post by Panda »

JAZCASH wrote:They look like sweets! ^_^
Those are toxic.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:Halo 3
The worst rated game in the series. All things considered it did very well. [Okay, opinion number one. You've stated it's doing well, so does this mean that you may have a opinion that differs from 99% of the people that play it? The large amount of people that play it?]
BTW, there's absolutely nothing subjective about what I said. Halo 3 has the worst metacritic score out of any of the halo games, and it has the best sales figures out of any of the halo games. I wasn't expressing any opinion at all.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ITT people act very opinionated.
You guys are butthurt over nothing..... dw:gundam2 one of the best "warriors" series games and a great sequel to the first has bullshit reviews where the reviewers ignore features and even list ones that do not exist.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”