Putting movies on other media

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I purchased an R4 for my DS, mainly to watch Red Vs Blue, other such video stuff, a few home brew things like QuakeDS and DoomDS, and as a quick notepad. Is it legal to take an actual movie, such as The Matrix (The original of course) or perhaps something Monty Python, and put a copy on my DS if I legally own a copy of the DVD?
I know it's illegal to distribute copies, but I don't know if it's illegal to put it on other forms of media, IE microSD.
Other random thought:
Need Tyrian 2000 done up for DS, w/ wifi multiplayer, same with Gate 88, and if it didn't require so much processing power DF on DS would own. TA, unfortunately, is out of the DS's range as well. Starcraft would be possible though, w/ wifi again of course. The original UFO needs to be on DS as well, with multi-player, but then I would never be able to get any work done.
Too bad even if there was an emulator to run old windows or DOS programs, the emulator alone would use up all the DS's resources.
Last edited by El Idiot on 23 Jan 2008, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Re: Putting movies on other media

Post by SinbadEV »

If you live in Canada yes! It's why we pay more for writable media then the Americans. Under the grounds of fair-use you may transfer to a new form of media for your own personal use.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Under the grounds of fair-use
Canada only? Damn.
It's why we pay more for writable media then the Americans.
Still, not a bad deal.

So... for Americans what are the restrictions?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Still covered under the constraints of fair use and poorly defined. The general consensus is typically that as long as you aren't distributing it or breaking any laws by acquiring it it's ok. Canadian law expressly supports your right to copy or transfer data to different media however.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

So I'm fine then even in the US?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I don't know... also... define "fine"...
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Anyone in the US know?
And by 'fine' I mean I can't get my a** sued off for watching something I own anyway that I bought to watch. As stupid as that is...

Wasn't there some law saying you couldn't broadcast copyrighted work to the public? IE setting up a TV in Times Square, putting some benches in front, and playing movies on it.
If so, would that apply to sitting on a bus and finally giving in to let the nosy person behind/next to you watch over your shoulder?
Oh yes, another side thought: Fallout really needs to be on DS.
CompWiz

Post by CompWiz »

Its illegal to break DRM (like the encryption on DVDs) under the evil DMCA in the USA.

I still do it anyway...
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, as far as I recall, it's legal to make backups/transfer media you purchased, but the catch is that it's illegal to bypass the protection in order to do so.

In reality, though, they're not going to go after you for ripping a few of your own DVDs to play on your own DS if things stay that way, since they'll never know you did it. Really, they have bigger fish to sue.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Like single mothers :D
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

the catch is that it's illegal to bypass the protection in order to do so
What kind of protection do they put on the DVDs? Just encryption?
So then if it doesn't have that protection, I can rip it to any media I want provided I don't distribute?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

problem is even the DVD movie encoding format is proprietary so, under a certain interpretation of the law this would constitute bypassing protection since you haven't payed the licensing fees to decode the contents of the video disk for a purpose other then playback.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

even the DVD movie encoding format
B.S., it's all just B.S.; I should have guessed the encoding counts as 'protection'.
What if I just use a screen recorder?
I'd be using the legal DVD decoder, and the quality wouldn't matter much since it's being shrunk down for such a tiny screen.
Too bad I don't have the equipment to rip VHS-es, I don't think that has any form of 'protection'. I can't find Robin Hood Men in Tights on DVD, just VHS.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

best way to say it man is that no-one has really been sued for it but that doesn't mean it won't happen... from my moral standpoint you have payed for the media in question and as such have the right to use it for personal use however you see fit...

edit: also, if you pay for a DVD decrypting software you can blame the people selling it for releasing a product for presenting DVD ripping as a legitimate practice.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Hey, where i live, if you own a movie, you can download it off the interwebs legally. I'm not sure why this logic wouldnt apply to stuff in the US too. So if you own the movie, why not grab it off piratebay or somewhere.

at least i think so
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

The RIAA - which of course does not deal with movies but does deal with a lot of the same sorts of issues - has stated that in its opinion copying music from a legally bought CD to another location (such as your computer) is illegal. Shortly after saying this, they backtracked and said that it was OK by them for you to transfer CD -> computer, but without retracting their opinion that it is illegal under US law.

Other groups insist that it is legal to make a copy for personal use in the US.

Essentially, the laws on the subject are hazy, there are no prior court rulings directly on the subject, and the industry groups are much more concerned about people illegally sharing works than with people making copies for personal use.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

How are they going to catch you if you never distribute to anyone nor download any file off of a monitored distributor? No one is allowed to just randomly break into your house and steal your DS to check if there is sketchiness on it unless they have some evidence of you breaking the law to begin with.

While it's technically illegal, it's covered under American laws that are also illegal to enforce.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Mind you, if you take it across the US border or get arrested for another crime or they happen to get you in some other kind of "probably cause" situation then they might catch you, but as we said... it's just not going to happen.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”