Favourite TA Unit

Favourite TA Unit

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainExo

Favourite TA Unit

Post by CaptainExo »

I'm not gonna poll this, as that would be silly. But anyway, here it is;

What is your favourite TA unit (ANY TA unit! custom, etc.) and why is it your favourite? A sentence or two will suffice. ;)

Mine has to be the Archnano (It appears in several different spellings... Archano, etc.) from the TLL race. It's a spidermech "builder".

Why?

Because it has one of the most lethal weapons of all; it's high-power reclaimer. Not only does this unit break an enemy into it's component E & M, it actually gives them to you. Squads or groups of Archnanos, can, with sufficient micro'ing, decimate an entire base in minutes, if not seconds. They are well armoured, and can withstand several OTA TL1 unit attacks (lasers, Storm rockets, etc.) for a while, and by the time they've taken enough damage to be destroyed by aforementioned unit, the unit is in your energy and metal banks, melted down. Not only all this, but it is fairly fast and can go all terrain AND is amphibious!! It won't stand up for long under fire, even though it is fairly well armoured. It can't build anything, and is -supposedly- a capturer, but isn't actually. All it can do is reclaim and repair.

All in all, it turns enemy units into soup, which is then fed to your own E & M banks, and is well armoured. It can't reclaim some units (Commanders) but it shouldn't need to. All it has to do is take down the defenses and leave the Commander to your units, who are camping some way away. It's amphibious and all terrain. What more could you want? Oh, wait, more armour and guns. ;)
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Well I already wrote up MY favored unit! Let me get the description!

How about a realy big fly wheel with a few Pewee's that run inside it like a hamster and they press buttons every time they take a step, and each button fire's out a shot from the cannon that is facing forward as the time, so can only fire it when it├óÔé¼Ôäós moving. It would make for a bizarre sight, wandering around the map, firing plasma every where. Now add a seat for the commander on the top, and he controls a big huge gun. So now it├óÔé¼Ôäós running around, shooting plasma AND firing lasers from a giant turret.

HA! I can still think of it in my head as a madly unbalenced wheel tottering around the map, inadvertenly laying wast to everything in its area!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Maverick. Quick and powerful.

Storm trooper written all over it.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Maverick. There never has or ever will be a unit so cool. Just look at them. The who gunslinger thing... the guns as big as it is... and it still looks so dam cool. yes the best is undoubtably the maverik.

aGorm
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

My favorite OTA units is the Fido, My favorite downloadable unit is the Shooter, my favorite TA:CC unit is the Maverick.

Unfortunatly the Tanks and Aircraft don't have the flair of the Kbots.

My favorite units I made are the M660 Predator Gatling tank, will destroy any unit in a few seconds, can take alot of hits, is amphibious, has self repair etc.

I have been thinking of a way to make a better model but I haven't been quite succesful yet.

my favorite other 3rd party unit not made by me is...man there is so many...the Gryphon by TADD.
cabbs

Post by cabbs »

A custom mech called Razorback, dont know if anyone else played with it in OTA. mmmm....mechs...

t'was buildable from the adv. k-bot lab, had reverse jointed legs, and a balanced set of weapons.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

If you allow 3rd party units, the unit I prefer is probably one of my own units. I think it's my BriDoDon117b7, a pink pellet spewing, bright green, data fetching Tank, with destroyable turret, toggable damage inversion device using technology derived from tro research, with a toggable overload-prevention safety, and a signed 10 digit display able to read and even write whatever variable I thought about, commandable from an in-game in-unit Graphic User Interface, horizontally stabilised and with help popups popping up if user doesn't know how to use it, and with the addition of a unit tracker and Wormhole Generator able to do automatic map-wide group teleportation. See the second post in that thread for the details. It's too bad it doesn't work in Spring.

However, I also like the complex transformation I scripted for RobotechUnit on his RobotechUnit model. It has three modes, over water, over land not attacking, over land attacking. Here's it in action:

The Jedi force trick I scripted also sometimes even amaze myself:
It's undoubtely my favourite weapon, if a weaponless script can be called a weapon. But the unit it's mounted on is unfinished, and chance that it gets finishes and keep that script are very slim. I should this on another unit, and fix a few things like the horrible lag and friend-or-foe detection sometimes.

The Return_of_the_OMGSuperKrogoth_2.0_now_with_blackhole.ufo use a similar weapon, but without the pretty animation, so it's not as funny. Nevertheless, I'm confident in the Return_of_the_OMGSuperKrogoth_2.0_now_with_blackhole.ufo being the very best 3rd party unit, however, "best" only in the sense "most powerful". Because it's also one of the most unbalanced! And a pretty ugly model hack, not a genuine complete polished 3rd party units. It can be fun when the AI starts producing them, because then even if I can counter with my own, the result leaves the maps devasted and void of any mobile units. On another hand, it's not funny at all when the AI decide to build one and I have to resort to the extremities of using mine to counter. Yes, it's more powerful than that, that or that!

Some of my 2D units, like the Naked Santa, the latex, and the Silly Tipping Over Rocket Man, are also much refreshing in a 3rd party scene dominated by Krogoth-like and TA-style units. Well, maybe "refreshing" is not the proper word for what await those who clicks those links.

All my special transport units I find very sleek too. Again, I haven't made the models, but seeing Under's C-130 drop paratroopers, or seeing SWTA LAAT automatically grab troops in range, or seeing units automatically disappear and reappear in circle of hellfire, is a joy.

But my favourite unit could also very much end up to be the yet-to-be-released latest TMU units. On a Legion model, I scripted a nice walk script where more or less everything move, I made the head turn toward the nearest enemy in a -90° +90° fov, and do a "no" sign if no enemy found, with a return to straight position after a random delay, and made 1/5 of them spawn as sergeant, which aren't able to fire, but can open teleportation vortex that only that unit can use, with no crash and nice decomposition and recomposition animation.

In case I was supposed to talk about units not made by me (because by now I think I pimped most of them), then please refer to paragraph eight and beyond of section 6 of what's my usual TAU sig:
http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthr ... post435292
It's about Final Frontier, which I like because it's fun to blast regular TA units with giant spaceship with shadows that dwarfs even Krogoth, about Imperial Authority, which I like because it has some of the most realistic model (yes, I mean the tie-fighter and a-wings and stuff are just like the real ones.), about WarHammer 40k TA which I like for being very playable and self-sufficient and nice looking, about TA:Dark Sun and its campaign, and about some other well or not so well known mods.
Image Image
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

GZ, the Shooter is a Cavedog unit... :P
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Considering OTA (with CC and BT).

I like the Rockos. They are strong in masses. They do good damage, are resistant, fire far and have a really good mobility.
I like Flashes for obvious reasons.
I like LLTs. Indeed. I love forks, like in "Metal Heck" with several LLT surrounded by Dragon Teehts waiting for them around the corner.
I like Cans and Sumos. Very powerfull heavy laser towers.
I like Goliaths. The heaviest tank in OTA. The Imperial March.
I like very much the Mavericks. When those things start throwing plasma, boy, do they do damage... (one of the best ways to take out Krogoths in OTA)
I like the Warlords. I like big guns that fire far and i like it's painfull laser of death that ranges some screens away with deadly accuracy.
I like Hawks and Vamps. Good for runs at the enemie's commander. With they're stealth ability along with they're speed, they are unsuspecting death aproaching.

Getting close to my very favorites:
I really like Big Berthas and Intimidators. They really bring action and movement into the game even though they are imobile. Just watch your enemy start attacking you once you start pounding him... If the map is small enough, this unit defines that the game will never be an endless stalemate.
I like Krogoths. The big bad boy. Who doesn't like it!? If one of those manages to pass unseen by the oponents defenses... And with radar auto targeting... Feel the pain!

And now, my really favorite ones:
The Guardians/Punishers and the Dragon's Teeth.
I really like Guardians. Many times, the story of the game is a delicate balance broken by the building of one of those units. They usually define small victories or major losses of resources in the area they are. Very crucial in OTA.
I really am a porker... :P I love Dragon Teeths. I like when my oponent comes full of atitude towards my base just to find out that there are just enough DTs for it's unit to try to pass only to die next in a swarm of lasers and missiles. I love when they are crossing my LLTs and all they're shots are hitting the DTs while the LLT painfully stings them to death.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Morty, you need to be on the reciving side to understand why.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

Paulo i agree! DT rock! and rockos with hammers followed by a flanking attack with flashes/stumpies...thats nearly a blitzkrieg! and you can do it REALLY early game...only noobs build defenses one side of their base, but if you don't build defenses u r screwed and if you cover your entire base with defense u r screwed coz of loss of MC!!! :D and since Necros don't work :)
K-Bots supported by Tanks aer the way its supposed to be...mmmm...tactics :)
(not recommended on big maps like kingoftherock...kbots are fucking slow as!!!)
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

i really like the commander. I usually play core and despite the "skirt" he/she wears, the d-gun is sooooooooo powerful. ooooooeeeeeeeeKKRRKRRRGGGGGGkkkkkkkkkk........pow..............
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

there was an old one in TAUIP (TA Units Independancy Pack) formally called the TACEP (TA Community Expansion Pack) anyhoo... it was a cheap advanced K-bot for core... the Flamer..

I wish I had a pic... but it was roughly 1.5 times as big as a pyro, had a flame thrower and an instigator laser on it...

it was fast, maneuverable, and up close and personal powerful... it also made a very effective job firing at moving units while moving... it never had to stop to get a target...

it was crazy fun to build 7 or so pretty early on and rush a base with them... if they had no seriously long range rockets and artillery to track those damn things on their way in, they would lay waste to everything fast... :twisted:
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

That doesn't sound so much good as unbalanced :P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”