Cloverfeild - Page 2

Cloverfeild

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Gota

Re: Cloverfeild

Post by Gota »

Cloverfield is suppose to be something like the Blair Witch Project right?
I heard Cloverfield is a good movie as well,didnt get to see it yet.
Horror and suspense movies were so much better in the 80's though..
I was just thinking about "john carpenter's the thing" what a brilliant movie.
If anyone hasnt seen it I suggest you do..
Byethe way i read the director of cloverfield is the same guy that directed the episodes of lost.
That series also featured a mysterious moster that you dont get to see.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Not dissing the movie.. but global warming causing another ice age sounds more plausible to me than a monster existing in the atlantic that decides suddenly to attack new york..

Now Id definately say that day after tomorrow did it wrong with a seriously short time scale and some other retardation..

also I heard the monster looks like a giant krootox..

Pic related
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

The monster looks like a spider crossed with a monster from Gears of War.

Also, spolier warning:

At the end of the movie, it cuts back to the main character and his girlfriend hanging out at Cony Island. In the background, you can see something fall out of the sky and splash into the Atlantic in the distance.

The indication is it came from space.

Now, the main question is how did people miss it for 2 months?

I guess it was small when it landed and grew bigger and bigger as it lay under the ocean, until it attacks New York.

Or, it could be something completely different. They don't explain it.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

20,000 people didn't download the most recent copy of AA, and the majority of those who did wouldn't have paid 5 dollars for the download.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

It's quite ridiculous how many little pieces of electronic fecal matter J.J. Abrams has scattered around the net for rabid fanboys to piece together, I suspect that the sequel will have very little to do with these pieces, and they're merely just a wild goose chase to keep things interesting.

That said, if you stayed after the credits you learn that.

Highlight Spoiler

It's still alive.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Oh noes!
theHive

Post by theHive »

Zoombie wrote:The indication is it came from space.
According to stuff I've read, it might have been a satellite falling (apparently it was mentioned at some point that Japan had lost a satellite or something) that awakened the creature.

Although, according to one of the 'viral' sites, people knew about the creature already, as one guy mentions he doesn't know if it was found or created.

Anyway, I'm kind've over caring right about now.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I'm going to buy it and check around on the DVD.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

SwiftSpear wrote:20,000 people didn't download the most recent copy of AA, and the majority of those who did wouldn't have paid 5 dollars for the download.
If you go here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=166987
And check the download count for 2.11, it is around 13,000. There were also 9,000 scattered around other mirrors if I remember right. I'm not saying every one of those was an individual user and there were no duplicates, I'm sure there were, but on the other hand people would have to have downloaded it 10 times each to significantly reduce what my point was. (as in, even if there were only 2,000 actual users and each of them was willing to give $5 for it, that's still a fair sum)

My point was: Compared with *real* projects that go in stores, AA is nothing. However, because I'm not whoring out my work to activision or whoever, I would see 100% of the profit off whatever sales I did make, meaning I would get a disproportionate amount of money compared to the people who do *real* work. In other words, I would have to sell one copy for every 10 copies a retail game would have to make and I would make the same amount of money.

As an example. If I somehow made a product that was worth just $5, and like 2.11 there were 20,000+ downloads... that would mean, I just made the amount of money that the developers of a retail game that sells for $50 and sells 40,000 copies would make.

I'm basically just bitching about the way that there are ... what would you say, cartels? Probably the wrong word. Anyway, cartels of people who have the capacity to distribute products widely. You can't get into the business easily for one simple reason: publishers make - nay, steal - so much money from the people who do real work that they can drive any competition out of business or else buy them. Thanks to Steam, Stardock, ... *shudder* itunes... those assclowns who have never worked a day in their lives are finally starting to lose their power, and I luuuuurrrve that. Previously, either you went with a big-name publisher and got paid almost nothing for your efforts, or you got nothing.

And once more, just so noone gets the wrong idea: No, I'm not deluding myself into thinking AA is something anyone would pay for, and neither would I ever ask any money for it.

That previous huge rant was just lack-of-sleep induced... must've been up 36 hours when I wrote that... and for some reason it really started to get under my skin in the middle of writing the post so I went on and on...
Last edited by Caydr on 25 Jan 2008, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, Caydr... if you want to sell a game, either contact Steam or one of the other e-distribution houses, or Manifesto Games.

Seriously. It's not a lack of channels to sell stuff. It's just that nobody has anything worth paying money done yet.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I've got no game and if I did, it would run on Spring. Don't know how the licensing would go. I'd probably just offer a percentage of the sales? I really don't know how any of that stuff works. Anyway I'm not interested in selling games at this time, this was all just one big example of how much capitalism sucks when it's exploited and generally a waste of the readers' time.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Isn't this thread supposed to be about a giant monster movie and not AA?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes. Sorry for the derail. The movie looks interesting, in a Blair Witch-meets-Godzilla kind of way.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Yeah, it was good. Not as good as say, Serenity or Children of Men, but still good.

I'd buy it, personally, but that's just because I'm a fan of disaster movies. They make me sick in a beautiful beautiful way.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I love disaster movies too. I think I'll go see this movie this weekend.
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

I enjoyed Cloverfield a lot more then the typical Hollywood pile of garbage. BTW, the whole shakycam thing didn't bother me in the slightest, I think it actually gave more depth to the movie.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I loved how the camera work actually added character, rather than just being a gimic...

Though it was a bit gimicky. But gimics are fun.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”