"British Accent" - Page 4

"British Accent"

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

Re: "British Accent"

Post by aGorm »

pintle wrote: The reason i find generalisations of british accents irksome is most likely tied to the fact that a geordie accent is often considered to be very working class, and an indicator of a lack of intelligence, particularly by smart-arsed rich southerners (no offence anybody :D). "Queens english" is imposed from the south east, which has a hugely disproportionate influence on british culture and the economy, to the detriment of the rest of the country, and the perception that we all love to tally ho pip pip drink tea and crumpets play cricket reallllllly winds me up.
Hay don't blame us. Just cause we like cricket and drink tea.

And nobody says 'tally ho pip' anymore... (apart from me on occasion...)

Actully hardly anyone speeks Queens English down here anymore... :( People think I speak "posh" just because I can pronounce water. Most everyone down here speaks in grunts due to the high proportion of chavs, and mumbles if their emo's...

aGorm
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

aGorm wrote:
pintle wrote: The reason i find generalisations of british accents irksome is most likely tied to the fact that a geordie accent is often considered to be very working class, and an indicator of a lack of intelligence, particularly by smart-arsed rich southerners (no offence anybody :D). "Queens english" is imposed from the south east, which has a hugely disproportionate influence on british culture and the economy, to the detriment of the rest of the country, and the perception that we all love to tally ho pip pip drink tea and crumpets play cricket reallllllly winds me up.

Actually hardly anyone speaks Queens English down here anymore... :( People think I speak "posh" just because I can pronounce water. Most everyone down here speaks in grunts due to the high proportion of chavs, and mumbles if their emo's...

aGorm
How the smeg did that happen?

::EDIT:: I was Arthur Dent for new years... Only man at the party with a cup of tea. It was good tea, because it had alcohol in it. Mmmm.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

aGorm wrote:
aGorm wrote:

I hope you're from surrey too :P

I got accused of being posh in the pub lastnight... :(

Actually hardly anyone speaks Queens English down here anymore... :( People think I speak "posh" just because I can pronounce water. Most everyone down here speaks in grunts due to the high proportion of chavs, and mumbles if their emo's...

aGorm
How the smeg did that happen?

::EDIT:: I was Arthur Dent for new years... Only man at the party with a cup of tea. It was good tea, because it had alcohol in it. Mmmm.
I hope you're from surrey too :P

And i got accused of being posh in the pub last night.. just coz i speaks proper like :cry:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

nah, Gravesend... think surry to london distance, but go east...

aGorm
pintle

Post by pintle »

I wasn't implying that anybody south of york is an arsehole or anything remotely like that. Tbfh the prices of houses in the more picturesque rural areas near me mean that there is quite a high proportion of extremely rich, extremely patronising people.

The "imposed from the south east" is more relative to media institutions than the culture on the street, i really don't want to give the impression i have some huge beef with people from the south. I just have a problem with the government and media's focus (look at public transport spending per capita/educational funding for rural areas compared to cities).

As i said 'twas a silly rant, a lot of my family comes from the west country, and i have been acused of having a posh voice myself, its the discrimination my peers have faced, at university and in seeking employment in particular that riles me
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Well, if makes you feel better, I have to talk slow in the South, cause they can't follow my "Californian accent."
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Zoombie wrote:Well, if makes you feel better, I have to talk slow in the South, cause they can't follow my "Californian accent."
Well... of course you have an accent. It's just that people from California aren't very used to being told they have an accent, because pretty much all of the western states share the same approximate accent. It's also the same accent western Canadians have.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

They let you speak in the South Zoombie? Man, you have rights I don't!
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

ppppft, wusses. I can understand my sweetheart's californian accent just fine :) And she loves my british accent. But she's obsessed with britain, so :)
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

I work in Vancouver, and nobody can understand a word I say if I talk in my native geordie, I've had to curb my accent quite alot :(
I'm starting to use it here and there though and people are starting to get it now, but they still cant get their head around stuff like

"alreet lads, canny day's work, see ya's later am gannin hyem like, see ya the morra"

no idea why. :P

I love the souhthern accent in England btw, sounds cool, some of my bezza mates are from the south, and mostly its what ppl associate with the brits, people in north america tend to think I'm Australian or Irish... mmmhhmmm.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Translation from geordie, as best I can:

"Alright mates, Good days work, see you later, I'm going home now. See you tomorrow."

Inaccuracy due to slang, mostly.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

You got the BIG BOOK OF GEORDIE SLANG for christmas didn't you... :P
I think if i wrote it down for them theyd get it, cos the pronunciation is so fast and pretty much sounds nothing like what theyd expect hehe, north americans seem to pronounce everything, and slowly too, doah.

Im gonna have a Saaaandddwwwwhichh.... :-)
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

BlackLiger wrote:ppppft, wusses. I can understand my sweetheart's californian accent just fine :) And she loves my british accent. But she's obsessed with britain, so :)
Well, the South tends to speak a bit slower than the West, but I've never noticed the Brits to talk overly slow, so there's less of a speed dichotomy.

On the whole, I love other accents, especially Australian and New Zealand ones. They sound cool!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

BigSteve wrote:I work in Vancouver, and nobody can understand a word I say if I talk in my native geordie, I've had to curb my accent quite alot :(
I'm starting to use it here and there though and people are starting to get it now, but they still cant get their head around stuff like

"alreet lads, canny day's work, see ya's later am gannin hyem like, see ya the morra"

no idea why. :P

I love the souhthern accent in England btw, sounds cool, some of my bezza mates are from the south, and mostly its what ppl associate with the brits, people in north america tend to think I'm Australian or Irish... mmmhhmmm.
You live in one of the most protected bubbles of dialect in the world. You literally have to travel 300 miles to hear someone with a different dialect that isn't an immigrant or on the TV here. Pretty much everyone you know here will assume they have no accent at all and the way they speak English is arbitrarily the most pure.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

You know what the biggest problem is, is when you don't have a very fixed accent. Being in the southeast (were their's a whole mish-mash of accents) means I find it way to easy to run into other accents. I talk to someone for 10 seconds and I'll start slipping into their accent, which is fine with people you know, but when your talking to complete strangers and you go from "Upper class twit" to "Australian" half way through a sentence... well a lot of people think I'm taking the piss out of them.

Or when the gordie guy started at work and I found I couldn't pronounce "alright"...

Bloody annoying.

aGorm
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

i think id find it hard not to laugh at you tbh, assuming you were around a couple of people with really distinct accents..:P

first time i went to texas they had some greeting people saying hello etc as i was waiting to go through immigration. I burst out laughing in the blokes face as he said 'howdy yall'. I couldnt contol myself, i just found it immensely funny at hte time.. I'm used to it now as im out there quite alot but i felt really bad afterwards :P

You talking about dropping into other peoples accents just reminded me about it for some reason. ^^
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Zoombie wrote:
BlackLiger wrote:ppppft, wusses. I can understand my sweetheart's californian accent just fine :) And she loves my british accent. But she's obsessed with britain, so :)
Well, the South tends to speak a bit slower than the West, but I've never noticed the Brits to talk overly slow, so there's less of a speed dichotomy.

On the whole, I love other accents, especially Australian and New Zealand ones. They sound cool!

Nay an issue for me, zoombie. I speak reasonably quick. She still understands plenty :)
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Speaking of accents, Russell Peters for the lolz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvhiGwbZ-2A
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Zoombie wrote:On the whole, I love other accents, especially Australian and New Zealand ones. They sound cool!
you'll love this then! introducing the ultimate mongrel accent! kiwi/west yorkshire cross!

*vomits*

thats me btw.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Da comrades, accents are funny. Especially when you steriotype them, yaaaar.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”