CPU Fan

CPU Fan

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

gamer17

CPU Fan

Post by gamer17 »

I have this one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1588

Its supposed to run at 2200RPM
Mine only runs at 1813RPM

Is there a way to get it to spin faster?
My power supply is only 450W

My cpu is at 44-46C most of the time
I played crysis for 30 mins, then it went up to 53-55C

Will case fans make a big difference?
rattle
Damned Developer

Re: CPU Fan

Post by rattle »

Depends on the temperature in your case. Better air circulation is good but it will suck more dust in then as well. I'd recommend at least a fan at where your HD is and one or two to shovel the air through the case. The PSU fan usually does a good job as well.

I guess that your fan speed depends entirely on the CPU temperature and gets adjusted dynamically by the BIOS. Look in the BIOS if there are options to override the fan speed, there are for me.
However the temperature isn't bad, though I don't know what CPU you got nor do I know what are good heat values for it are. Though 50°C isn't that much.

My CPU cores go up to 60°C on full load which is fine and ~40°C when they're idle. CPU fan runs at 800-1200 RPM when the cores are idle, up to 1500+ RPM when there's some load and ~2000 RPM when they're on full load for some time.
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

thanks
I just wanted to know because my computer keeps crashing when I play the armed assault demo
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

I unplugged all my case fans because they were too noisy, too small to make a difference and tended to die after being clogged with dust.

My solution is to remove the casing cover and put a table fan to blow into the CPU. Works like a charm and my comp has never overheated even when I leave it on overnight.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:I unplugged all my case fans because they were too noisy, too small to make a difference and tended to die after being clogged with dust.

My solution is to remove the casing cover and put a table fan to blow into the CPU. Works like a charm and my comp has never overheated even when I leave it on overnight.
Comp's don't overheat when left idle. They only heat when in high load. You acctually prolong the lifespan of your PC components by leaving them on constantly.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Indeed, but I often leave it on to render large 3D scenes/movies, which puts it under a constant CPU/GPU load. :mrgreen:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

gamer17 wrote:thanks
I just wanted to know because my computer keeps crashing when I play the armed assault demo
Sounds like driver issues or GPU overheating, depends on the crash.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

gamer17 wrote:Is there a way to get it to spin faster?
Just up the voltage
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

Comp1337 wrote:
gamer17 wrote:Is there a way to get it to spin faster?
Just up the voltage
I think it just is not getting enough power, I might need to upgrade my power supply.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

dude its a fan it can pretty much run off a button cell
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Check your bios for Q-Fan control?

Also that heat sink is intended for midrange to low-end enthusiast computers, are you sure that's the kind you need? Myself I have a Zalman 9500 which is considered the second-best CPU cooler (second to the 9700 model) by most people, and my CPU idles at 47 degrees and my MB at 35. This is because of aggressive overclocking, of course... Lemme see what it goes up to under load.

//Looks like it goes up to about 62 under maximum load.

What type of CPU do you have, I can tell you if those temperatures are indicative of CPU overheating or if your problem actually lies elsewhere.

BETTER YET - Find and download "CPU Burn-in v1.01" or a later version if one exists. If you have a single core processor, set it to run for 10 minutes on maximum heat generation, then 10 minutes on error checking. If you don't crash and there are no errors, you can say with certainty that your CPU is not overheating due to a game.

If you have a multi-core, run one instance of the program for each processor and assign processor affinity, one instance for each core, in task manager, then run all the burn-in instances simultaneously as described above. It is normal if your computer stops responding until the test is completed, because the program is intended to push your CPU to its very limit.
You acctually prolong the lifespan of your PC components by leaving them on constantly.
Not to be a smartass - are you talking about fans or the computer itself? The idea that leaving a computer on 24/7 makes it last longer is a new one to me...
lurker

Post by lurker »

Caydr wrote:Also that heat sink is intended for midrange to low-end enthusiast computers, are you sure that's the kind you need? Myself I have a Zalman 9500 which is considered the second-best CPU cooler (second to the 9700 model) by most people
Huge blocks of metal ftw.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

(second to the 9700 model)
I got the 9700 NT, was a good choice despite it being huge like xbox. It even looks like a stupid xbox in the dark. :P
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Whew.. where'd you get that chart, looks like 9700's finally been beaten?
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

Well I ran Supcom FA for an hour straight and everything was fine, so I think it was just the demo.

My mobo has a 24 pin connector, but my ppwer supply is only 20 pin, thats why I thought it had something to do with the power supply.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Caydr wrote:Whew.. where'd you get that chart, looks like 9700's finally been beaten?
Uhhh... March? http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2943

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”