What's cheap in USA and Expensive in UK?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Basically I'm off to New York tommorrow and would like some ideas of what I can buy there and sell here for a healthy profit :P. The Iphone seemed like an OK product until it was announced in the UK today :( (still probably could make a profit, but not as big..)

Any ideas? (stuff needs to be taken on plane dont forget; so no 50" LCD TVs!)

EDIT: I've already ordered a laptop so dont suggest that.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

happy meals

iirc there are limits on how much you can take back in terms of monetary value in order to prevent people flying to USA 5 times a week coming back laoded with cheaper US goods to sell here.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Gasoline :P
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

:P I'm not going to buy a lot, just a few products which I'll try to sneak through.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Everything, except health care.

Games consoles and games, and clothing are they only two other things I can think of right now.

I do have one other idea, although it is a little far-fetched. You could invest in US currency. The dollar is very very weak right now, but eventually it should recover... I hope.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Relative wrote:
Everything, except health care.

Games consoles and games, and clothing are they only two other things I can think of right now.

I do have one other idea, although it is a little far-fetched. You could invest in US currency. The dollar is very very weak right now, but eventually it should recover... I hope.
lol, Actually I've already invested all my education maintanance allowance in a double whammy; Intel with US dollars (I bought at around $19 -> now its at $25.41). EDIT: nowhere as good as the OCZ IPO though; too bad I didnt have enough money to invest in them at that time.

I'm looking for a high margin of profit; things like Iphone which are not yet out in the UK is probably best.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Wii/Certain Wii/DS games?
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

clothes clothes clothes! i just spent about $500 on clothes in texas, same sort of stuff would have cost more likes £700 here...

oh an everything else.. apart from good cheese.. they have to import that and decent chedder costs a fortune out htere :s
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Anything made by an American company (sodding tariffs)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Dont bother with mobiles aside form the iphone though, the US mobile market is at least 5years behind the European market at any one time. Hence why people in movies where using brick phones despite the 3G video phones with camera in the shops, or those clunky music player phones in music videos.

iPhone comes to UK November 2nd iirc.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

STDs
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

AF wrote:Dont bother with mobiles aside form the iphone though, the US mobile market is at least 5years behind the European market at any one time. Hence why people in movies where using brick phones despite the 3G video phones with camera in the shops, or those clunky music player phones in music videos.

iPhone comes to UK November 2nd iirc.
Movies reflect what normal people use. Not what is top end sitting in shops.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Goddammit someone beat me to STDs.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Actualy swift, i have to agree with AF for once, hes right. the handsets you see people using in the US / being advertised / in tv programs/films are generaly pretty old models and / or crappy models.

(this is from personal experiance, im in the us fairly often)

whereas i can only think of one friend of mine over here in the UK who dosent have a nice shiny new one - almost all of them penniless students. It's like with films, sometimes they get released in the US a few days/weeks/months before they do in europe.. except with phones.. and err years :P

It's probably due to your awful mobile operators

:(
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I live in Canada, most students use razors or something comparable, so we're talking maby 1-2 year old tech. It's only adults who use old crappy phone models, except for the business slicksters who all have the hands free sets.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It's razr gt it strght.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Cell phones suck. Next?
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

+1
Zpock