Starcraft II and what it must do not to suck - Page 2

Starcraft II and what it must do not to suck

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Maybe the protoss don't reproduce at all? They where just created by the Xel'Naga and that's it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I believe they're gay, or why would "we need moar pylons"?
knorke

Re: Starcraft II and what it must do not to suck

Post by knorke »

Most of those points are stupid when you have ever played Starcraft.
Like demanding ABS and ESP for Mario Kart.

build more than 5 units at a time or ELSE
in original SC, if you que up too many units in too few factories you easily
have 2000+ minerals just "sitting" there and you can not use them.
This is because you pay for the unit the moment you click the button and not when constructions begins like in Spring.

its better to have 5 factories build 1 unit each then 1 factory taking up all your ressources to build 5 units. This way you can also replace units much faster. I do not think they will change the pay-for-click system so if you are playing somewhat seriously, you will never que up more than ~3 units anyway...

siegetanks can be seen on screenshots, but they look strange with the folding threads.
Iam an elephant!

and wtf was/is wrong with the original multiplayer? best working ive seen so far. okay, in the beginning it didnt have replays but they patched that quite fast.

superior to SC in significant ways - or else people will just play SC
orly.

"hey, tarsonis is gone." "really? hey look, a zergling eating me. Damn that hurts. Ouch."
Hehe, when did you get that feeling, I think the cutscenes were great?
For the cutscenes I ofcourse hope for nice quality but who needs those superhi-res stuff from C&C Tiberian Wars that take up tons of space?

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=sc2sc2bv2ze1.gif
this is funny/informative/old(?)

What I personally hope for:
-nice spells, but not one for every unit like WC3. (I've read about a turboboost for zealots and other stuff for "basic" units, I think that might get too much)
-cool "mapmoding" like WC3 (original SC is somewhat limited)
Comp1337

Re: Starcraft II and what it must do not to suck

Post by Comp1337 »

knorke wrote:who needs those superhi-res stuff from C&C Tiberian Wars that take up tons of space?
I do
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Don't take what I said to such an extreme, I don't mean to say that things need to even make an attempt to be realistic, I would just like the game to take advantage of the fact that they no longer have the 640x480 (or whatever) screen resolution limitation - it's no longer necessary to have everything tiny and in small numbers. Marines and stuff could stand to be perhaps 15% smaller, while "large" units like battlecruisers should be 25-40% bigger... I don't mean take it to a real sensible scale, just somewhat closer.

Finally, a battlecruiser should have more than one gun IMO. It'd look a lot cooler with like 3 or so. Not a realistic number (more like 3 billion gagillion would be really nice) but a couple more than before ideally.

It's all visual stuff and totally unnecessary to gameplay, but the reasons units were so small before is now effectively gone, so why not adapt to that?
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Unit size did play a part in starcraft's gameplay,
pintle

Post by pintle »

Hiding your marines under the airborne com centre (and all "glitchy" things like it in SC) kinda pissed me off, granted they take a little skill/cunning to pull them off, but it never really felt "rts" to me, if that makes any sense.

I would really like to see a free camera in SC2, doubt it will happen.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

A total-war style camera would be good
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

pintle wrote:Hiding your marines under the airborne com centre (and all "glitchy" things like it in SC) kinda pissed me off, granted they take a little skill/cunning to pull them off, but it never really felt "rts" to me, if that makes any sense.

I would really like to see a free camera in SC2, doubt it will happen.
I've heard the camera will at least be rotateable. And they've already shown in the videos zooming in/out.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I wonder if their going to have a zoom that goes all the way out...
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

Now thats some thing to dream about!
(to Zpock's post)

I have broodwars and ect.

Never really played the single player, only the first starcraft's terran missions. I didn't even finsh that as my lil sister deleted my profile. >_>

I played lots of milti-player mostly on "Use-map settings" to do weird stuff.

But watching the video's I can easyly say that I am look'n forward to SC2!
Protoss and their new spawning system! :D
Icebird

Post by Icebird »

Also, where are the female Protoss? Do they even exsist?
remember the matriarch zwe.. raz.. Raszagal

pretty uh ?
Doombringer

Post by Doombringer »

rattle wrote:
4) yay lets make a good sense of scale and make a battlecruiser block the whole map by its size or reduce marines to the size of 2 pixels
Yeah, let's do it. Or how about... taking spaceships out entirely? I mean, why would a huge-ass spaceship snipe a SINGLE foot soldier with it's main cannons? Spaceships are for orbital bombardements.

Also, imagine accessible buildings á la WarWind, only a good deal larger. Now that would be something new (it's been done twice already) and perhaps make the game a little bit more interesting than the very same old boring WC2/SC concept.
Reminds me of Red Alert 1, where 2 soldiers would own a medium tank.
Because the tank was so weak.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I remember in red alert how the infantry could easily overrun a bunch of tanks, because they can take lots of tank shots and still survive.. but the tesla tanks could take care of the infantry just fine, so whatever..
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

I say they package SC2 with high grade kimchi. That will get the Korean market easily.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Blizzard has always been really good about making games balanced enough for the hardcore market, but immersive and fun enough for the casual gamer. I have complete faith that they will deliver on this one.
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

They appear to have so far neglected the Zerg/Protoss Hybrid race that Duran was making In SC, and then made Protoss look almost exactly the same as the Scrin do from command and Conquer 3.

I hope that they finally make it so you can select more than 12 units (":O but without that it's not starcraft" Yes it is die It just made the game hard to play for new players), and make is so the scale doesn't suck.

And they better not remove3 the Nydus CAnals from the zerg. that was the best thing about them (zerg player itt ¬_¬)
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

itt we try to make sc II into a mix of every possible rts in exsistance with 0 experience on sc \:D/
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

@Drone_Fragger: In the gameplay video the commentator guy showed some 'nydus worms', which are probably the new transports. And they're nydus derivatives.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Doombringer wrote:
rattle wrote:
4) yay lets make a good sense of scale and make a battlecruiser block the whole map by its size or reduce marines to the size of 2 pixels
Yeah, let's do it. Or how about... taking spaceships out entirely? I mean, why would a huge-ass spaceship snipe a SINGLE foot soldier with it's main cannons? Spaceships are for orbital bombardements.

Also, imagine accessible buildings á la WarWind, only a good deal larger. Now that would be something new (it's been done twice already) and perhaps make the game a little bit more interesting than the very same old boring WC2/SC concept.
Reminds me of Red Alert 1, where 2 soldiers would own a medium tank.
Because the tank was so weak.
What does my post have to do with Red Alert or game balance at all? :P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”