"Opinion: Vista's UK price is unfair", "Micro

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Opinion: Vista's UK price is unfair, 27-1-2007
I├óÔé¼Ôäóm generally pro-Microsoft. In my business life I├óÔé¼Ôäóve ... but ...
I├óÔé¼Ôäóm referring to the fact that here in the UK you├óÔé¼Ôäóll have to fork out around ├é┬ú220 for the Home premium version of Vista, but in America you could pick up precisely the same software for $230.00 (├é┬ú115) - quite a difference, isn├óÔé¼Ôäót it? The are similar price hikes for all of the consumer versions of Vista.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8214

Microsoft sued over 'Vista Capable' claims, 3-4-2007
Microsoft deceived customers by allowing PC makers to label computers as "Windows Vista Capable" even though they couldn't handle Vista's key features, according to lawsuit lodged in the US.
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/11063/53/

Microsoft Hit By U.S. DOT Ban On Windows Vista, Explorer 7, and Office 2007, 2-3-2007
Tens of thousands of federal workers are prohibited from upgrading to the latest versions, according to memos seen by InformationWeek.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/sho ... =197700789

Vista: Slow and Dangerous, 15-3-2007
The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple (AAPL) ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation, appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows will do a number of things: ...
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ ... =techmaven

Becta report slams Microsoft academic licensing, dismisses Vista, 10-2-2007
- Microsoft's licensing arrangements in the education sector pose "significant potential for institutions to find themselves locked in to Microsoft"... and "very significant complexity... that has resulted in widespread use of inappropriate licensing strategies."
http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/ ... rt_sl.html
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I have Vista business edition 32bit legally. I got it for free via MSDN Academic alliance. I have UAC turned off because theres a bug where Sun Java doesnt ask windows for escalated privilledges when starting spring via aflobby. Nvidia and ATI drivers are not mature yet. No other problems (although tasclient has horrid rendering bugs that arent easy to notice on XP but are glaringly obvious under the aero theme).

I assume you paulomorfeo havent ran Vista for at least a week?

I do agree the price is horrendous though, but most big brand software is horrendously priced, look at photoshop and office. imo Windows should never brach the £50 mark for consumers, if only to encourage users to buy it rather than going "wtf thats huge lets just wait for the pirate copy"
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

A number of universities around the country have decided to forgo Vista support for the next one to three years, due to the redundant and wasteful nature of the OS.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

That's a great site. Now when I go to the SupCom forums and answer every tech support post with "It's because you're a tard using Vista, the worst OS ever," I'll have something to back it up with.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats because most universities optimized there XP install to work on machines which cost less and now they're balking cuz the machines dont meet the minimum specifications of Vista so theyre waiting for the next major hardware update to save money.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Or... they're just not dumb enough to pay money for a downgrade?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

AF wrote:Thats because most universities optimized there XP install to work on machines which cost less and now they're balking cuz the machines dont meet the minimum specifications of Vista so theyre waiting for the next major hardware update to save money.
No, AF, it would be because Vista doesn't do what they need - read; anything efficiently.
Drezil

Post by Drezil »

im really happy that i switched to linux completely.
I hear everyone complaining about software which does not work, about this UAC popping up all the time, etc. pp.
I can just laugh about this.
I mad the experience that i just tell my system i need some kind of office progrim, some kind of music-player, some games, a bit of programmers stuff and thats it. And linux is going like: "ok. there are about xx packets to be downloaded.." then i work normally for some time or just watch it downloading. Installation is automated, registration/activation keys are not needed and it just works.
Every day may system checks itself for program-updates, notifies my and i just say "update" and the rest works all alone. I can even continue using an application which is updated in that moment.
And the best: ne reboots are necessary (except for kernel upgrades).

It is so much better than windows ;)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Not quite, Linux still has driver issues, and the vast ,majority of usb networking equipment doesnt work, and of whats left the vast majority of that requires command line work. Ubuntu for example requires that I spend a while configuring a text file in order to get proper wifi support beyond very basic encryption.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I actually have Vista and its not bad. I didn't get it by choice so to speak (go it on a new laptop for some work i was doing for a company). It's not a bad OS all in all for stability and usch - i dont think ive crashed it yet, but i definitely woudl not suggest, from my perosnal experience, using it for coprporate stuff. Random shit doesnt work once in a while, and f.ex my touchpad scrollbar stopped working randomly a few days ago and then started working again a day or two later O_o.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Quote:
I├óÔé¼Ôäóm referring to the fact that here in the UK you├óÔé¼Ôäóll have to fork out around ├é┬ú220 for the Home premium version of Vista, but in America you could pick up precisely the same software for $230.00 (├é┬ú115) - quite a difference, isn├óÔé¼Ôäót it? The are similar price hikes for all of the consumer versions of Vista.
Everything in the U.K. is more expensive than the U.S.... Except cheese that is actualy suitable for human consumption, americans couldn't make decent cheese to save their lives... and bacon..

well in general anyway :x
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Quote:
Everything in the U.K. is more expensive than the U.S.... Except (imported) cheese that is actualy suitable for human consumption, americans couldn't make decent cheese to save their lives...
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Double post is double
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

And both different. How on earth'd you manage that?
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

i'm just practicing my hax :x

i left out the bacon bit when i remembered you cant get proper bacon in america anyway :p
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Cheese is never suitable for human consumption.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Okay then - Cheese that is in actual fact produced using some form of animal milk, depending on local preference, rather than from tapping rubber trees and adding your colouring of choice.

you're not eating real cheese until your face suddenly crumples up and your mouth is tighter than a cats arse hole! ^^
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

lol..

Neddie, you don't like cheese either? :P
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

You don't like cheese? Madness!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”