So .. any one buy the new iPhone last week? - Page 2

So .. any one buy the new iPhone last week?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zpock

Post by Zpock »

my cellphone dosnt even have a stupid color screen <3

Probably one of the last of that breed. Can't find one like that today.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

The US is pretty backwards when it comes to mobile networks. the iphone isn't even 3g oO

afaik the european version will be tohugh, not that thats any reason to buy it when there are masses of quality handsets to choose from already over here..

iphone = lul
genblood

Post by genblood »

I like the iPhone, but the cost and the AT&T telco I don't
like ... :( I just upgraded my Verizon contract and got
a new Samsung phone with vcast ...

I'm going to wait for version 2 of the iPhone ... Most likely
Verizon will get it by then ...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I think of it more as a widescreen video ipod + fancy touchscreen pda. If I were to get it I'd mostly be using wifi at home.

Having said that for the price I'd expect at least 10GB minimum for the lowerend model.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

The iphone sucks.... but does it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI
Relative

Post by Relative »

Caydr wrote:The iphone sucks.... but does it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI
YAY!!! The fad came back just in time!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

http://www.openmoko.com/
End users are still in for a bit of a wait, but tinkerers, devs, and 1337 hax0rz should soon be able to get their hands on FIC's Linux-based Neo1973 handset. The device, getting thrown together courtesy of the OpenMoko project with the goal of open-sourcing both the phone and the platform, will drop first in $200 "Hacker's Lunchbox" trim (for the aforementioned hackers) late this month featuring a seemingly bombproof plastic box to hold your GPLed bundle of joy and its dev tools. This fall -- September, if OpenMoko's prediction holds up -- the retail version will follow on for $350 with a variety of bundled accessories (though not the pictured car mount, which'll run an extra $75), faster processor, and possibly a cam or integrated WiFi. Why not both, FIC? Go crazy!
/me wants
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i wonder how many people have already dropped theirs on the ground and fucked up the screen
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

SwiftSpear wrote:http://www.openmoko.com/
End users are still in for a bit of a wait, but tinkerers, devs, and 1337 hax0rz should soon be able to get their hands on FIC's Linux-based Neo1973 handset. The device, getting thrown together courtesy of the OpenMoko project with the goal of open-sourcing both the phone and the platform, will drop first in $200 "Hacker's Lunchbox" trim (for the aforementioned hackers) late this month featuring a seemingly bombproof plastic box to hold your GPLed bundle of joy and its dev tools. This fall -- September, if OpenMoko's prediction holds up -- the retail version will follow on for $350 with a variety of bundled accessories (though not the pictured car mount, which'll run an extra $75), faster processor, and possibly a cam or integrated WiFi. Why not both, FIC? Go crazy!
/me wants
If you read a bit further then you'll notice it's not much of a phone yet...
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

i've had nokia 3510i for the past 3 years ^.^
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

tombom_proxy

Post by tombom_proxy »

imbaczek wrote:but... WILL IT BLEND???
did you even read the thread
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

iphones blend pretty well
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

tombom_proxy wrote:
did you even read the thread
Apparently not. But he DID use the URL tool better than Cayadear did!

Cayadear. Now with 3 times as many A's.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Haw haw haw haw, I win.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I think he wins, becuase he used the URL thing and therefore had a nicer looking post.

Or am I just being contrary?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

rattle wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:http://www.openmoko.com/
/me wants
If you read a bit further then you'll notice it's not much of a phone yet...
Well, it's around 1 year away... it's not exactly spaceman technology.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Sorry in advance, but this topic touched a nerve.

[rant mode ON]

My cell is an ancient Nokia- probably 8 years old now.

Funny thing is, more "advanced" phones seem to have gotten a little smaller, have a lot of features I don't want (I don't need a camera, dammit- I HAVE A REAL CAMERA), and are so thin that everybody I know seems to break their phone at least once a year.

Whereas my boring, non-folding, 5 by 3/4 inch phone, which has an alarm clock, calendar, clock, and texting features (which I use whenever I call 411, but never really use otherwise) ... oh, and did I mention, that since I'm on a family plan with my entire extended family, I get unlimited just-about-everything (I'm sure the minutes are finite, but meh, it's well over the amount I use it on a monthly basis) for about $150 a YEAR?

Apple could sell me a phone. Why? Because I'd love to buy a phone that was Apple quality (sneer not, people- I've owned many Macs, and they're excellent hardware and well-designed for the most part) but was also Apple simple.

The iPhone, however, is completely irrelevant to me. I'd have to give up my awesome family plan, learn a stupid touch-screen interface, re-program all of my numbers, etc., etc., and then I'd break it after a day or two. When Apple learns that there's a real market out there for people who'd like a non-sucky, nice-looking, super-tough phone with few "advanced" features, for people like me, who just want to TALK ON THE PHONE (ok, I use the calendar and alarm clock, too, but meh, those weren't "advanced" features... back in 1999) that will work with any cellphone carrier ... well, then I'm sold.

Sorry, I guess I just sounded old and out've touch there, for a minute ;) The thing is, though... I've had this phone forever, and I've never even USED most of the features. Most of you, I would be willing to bet real money, have used the gimmicky features of your phones, like the cameras, maybe three times (once to see if it worked, twice because you remembered that you had that feature and whipped it out in time) and I'll bet most of you have paid more in phone-repair bills, over a two-year timeframe, than I have paid in eight.

Apparently, with cell phones, once we got past the uber-stupid giant-walkie-talkie phase and could make them last a reasonable amount of time and get OK reception, the main things that have happened is that cell phone designers have spent more and more time building products that look cooler, but actually give you less true functionality and worth, when you subtract the value-added costs of all of the gimmicky features.

I just don't understand, frankly, why there aren't loads of people like me out there- people, who when their old good phones finally die, will be demanding indestructible, simple and easily-used phones that will last for a decade, instead of pretty, flimsy pieces of crap filled with buggy software and features you'll never really use.

I'm sure most of you have slightly smaller phones. I'm sure that they have much prettier colors than my 256-color, 256/256 LCD display. But, when it comes to just talking on the phone... I really doubt that there's much difference between my phone and yours, except that mine costs about an eighth of the average cell-phone user's costs per year, and I've dropped it about a billion times, onto everything from tables to concrete, and it still works ;)

[/rant mode]
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

If you think you are a Luddite, Argh, then look at me.

I don't even HAVE a cell phone. And I don't want one either. Same goes for my T.V.
theHive

Post by theHive »

Argh wrote:... rant rant...
Well, my phone is newer, but similar...

Mono-colour screen FTW!

And on top of that, it's in real bad condition... I have mould growing in the keypad :-P

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”