So .. any one buy the new iPhone last week?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

genblood

Post by genblood »

Did any one buy the new iPhone?

If you did post your comments about it ...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It doesnt come out till october in the UK, that and I'd expect the price to drop quite a bit before I get it, Apple have a habit of selling things at twice the cost it takes to build them.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I hardly bother with mobile phones anyway
Relative

Post by Relative »

I would never spend more than £50 on a mobile phone. I don't see how the £100+ mobile phones are worth it. They have all the same features as my sub-£50 phone just with a powerful marketing campaign behind it and a slightly sleeker design.

Although, I do understand that the iphone is much more than just a mobile phone. Its more a cross between a blackberry, mobile phone, and an ipod video.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I'm with Relative. If I want a PDA/Camera/etc/etc/etc, I'd buy one. I had to actively search for like 3 days to find a regular "just a phone" cellphone that was still available. Even then, it still had a crappy camera. (motorola v360)

The iphone seems like an interesting device, and I might entertain the idea of buying one someday if not for:
a) Name starts with "i", short for, "I am a trendy whore with no idea how to configure the time on my VCR"
b) It's ugly and too large and valuable for me to use in public. I'd rather start "side-talkin'" than whip out that huge brick.
c) You didn't have to sign up for the worst cell company in the known universe just to get one, which makes apple such a huge sellout even I'm shocked they sank that low

That thing better have some sort of rock-solid theft protection. I'm not sure how they do it though, since it's marketed to the "Using a CD tray as a cupholder" (don't click if it will offend your delicate feminine sensibilities) crowd, and they need it to be extremely user-friendly. Maybe make it request a password after every charge cycle or something.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You know, I never expected anybody to buy it.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

Guessmyname wrote:I hardly bother with mobile phones anyway
lol get sum frendz
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

My friends use telepathy, Teamtalk, email and carrier pigeons to reach me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Eh, for me, tactile buttons on a phone are important because I need to be able to use it while on the road. I worry that this glass toy will cause many accidents.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

the iphone is fuckin dumb cause the whole front of it is an lcd screen

u know how many times u drop your phone? well the first time u drop the stupid iphone for faggots its gonna get all fucked up
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

It's too fragile and vaulable-looking, I think that's probably its biggest weakness. I'd be afraid to use it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Caydr wrote:It's too fragile and vaulable-looking, I think that's probably its biggest weakness. I'd be afraid to use it.
Fear is for the weak. Buy ten of them and use them as coasters.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

What was the pricing again? $500-$600? For a mobile phone? Hell no... especially not when it comes from Apple.

I bought a used Nokia 3510 about two years ago. A lot of my friends regularly complain that their new expensive (100├óÔÇÜ┬¼ to 300├óÔÇÜ┬¼+) phone's camera just died, or the whole thing is malfunctioning or some other shit is happening and they need a new one. Mine works like a charm and it's probably older than my PC. :P
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Read cellphone reviews sometime, it's no wonder your friends are having bad experiences. It seems like Motorola/Nokia/etc are just pumping them out as fast as they can, not bothering with things like quality control.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Honestly, we would all be better off buying the cheapest phones on the market and modding them.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Speaking of modding, I am half tempted to buy a DS, and tweak it so I can model and texture on it >.>
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The DS is one of the few products aside from the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo to come out of this decade which I regard as worthwhile.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Snipawolf wrote:Speaking of modding, I am half tempted to buy a DS, and tweak it so I can model and texture on it >.>
yeh, you definitely do not have the skills to fiddle with homebrew

if you relaly want stylus - just buy a touchpad

and iphone is gehy.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I don't have a laptop, and I would prefer something to mod with.. for all I care, **** the stylus...

Edit: And how would you know I haven't fiddled with tech?... Maybe I have for all you know...
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

It seems useless to me.
My 2? years old 230€ smartphone can handle same stuff that that iPhone can and unlike iPhone has pretty decent voice dialing, 3G compatibility and support for SMS. I run all I need "mobile" from there including GPS navigation for car, few gigas of MP3 and books to read before sleep or in the restaurant when waiting for dinner.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”