Supcom Expansion - Page 2

Supcom Expansion

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I think the whole point of the generic units is to promote strategic choices rather than tactical choices overall, as well as a method of making the differences in the expansion pack that much more noticeable.

These people know what they're doing and they've let their expansion pack marketing system take advantage of that,
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

All these arguments against Sup Com are still invalidated for me because I had fun, have fun and will continue to have fun with SupCom. And let's face it, that's a lot more fun than sitting here griping about it.

Ta.
pintle

Post by pintle »

@zoombie

This is, however, a great place to discuss the development and marketing, and shortcomings/successes therein, of a commercial project very similar to spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I had fun too, I quite like how theres a general attack unit and I dont have to tech up for basic artillery support. Whereas in TA there are no general attack units, all of lvl 1 has a role (but none have the general all rounder roll), and the nearest there is to general all purpose is the heavyweight superunits and theyre not quite general all purpose either and tend to eb slow clunky and expensive.

Theres no unit in TA thats OK at everything, the sort where yes theres a better antiair unit and theres a better attack unit but this is the compromise between them all.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Disregarding anti air, the stumpy/raider or rocko/storm is what I tell my noobish LAN friends is a "line unit" (should compose the bulk of your land force).

Imo generic units reduce the importance of intelligence force composition, accentuating a macro-centric "lol i have more dudes than you" combat mechanic. The advantages incurred through scouting and being aware of your opponent's decisions add a complexity to the player interaction which is desireable.

I have barely touched SupCom, so I'm not really in a position to make direct comparisons
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

lol, that may be how yours works, I have had a single grenadier kill 100 troopers by himself..

Watch those chokepoints, suppression is a bitch xD
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Were not talking about CC3, were talking about supcom.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I wasn't talkin about it either, wanna guess what I was talkin about though? ^.^
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If Supcom's patches thus far have been any indicator of the team's commitment to the project, the expansion will be a great improvement. I'm surprised to hear that it will be a standalone expansion, makes me think it will be needlessly expensive. Maybe they'll make an expansion-only release as well.

Supcom, like TA, needs mods to reach its full potential. Nobody here will deny that TA was a groundbreaking, excellent game, despite the fact that when it was released its system requirements were high and the balance was poor, or even horrible in some cases. Heck, skirmish was unplayable thanks to the rushing commander thing, and the AI was terrible in general even beyond that.

But patches were released and by 3.1c, the game was much better. It still needed tweaking, but by commercial games' standards, it was incredible.

Now Supcom is here. I don't think even the most negative reviewer would deny that it's groundbreaking, and the first RTS in a long time to really try to break the standard formula, even if it's only partially successful in some ways. Its system requirements are high, but not as severe as some people would believe. The only people who feel the game has steep requirements are unfortunate people who haven't upgraded their computer recently, or who unwisely chose to upgrade their computer before doing any kind of market research.

SupCom requires a Core 2 system - of any kind. It requires a graphics card with the horsepower of a 7800 or equivalent, or above. It requires at least 1 GB of RAM, but preferably 2 GB.

Core 2 Duo, low-end - $80
GPU, Anything before 8800 series - $150
RAM, 2 GB PC2-6400 - $100

These are not unreasonable prices for top-of-the-line performance. Wait for the end of July for additional savings, buy a sensible barebones kit if you're afraid to do the whole assembly process yourself, and give up the silly complaining.

By buying a PC, you're locked yourself into this process of "buy games" "upgrade computer" "buy games" "upgrade compuer"... If you want to buy once and not have to buy again for a while, either buy a console or make a *smart* PC upgrade that'll last you a while. This is the nature of things on the PC, it's unavoidable that you have to upgrade from time to time if you want the latest stuff.

I have to wonder how many of SupCom's detractors here have actually played it. Claims like "all the sides are the same" obviously haven't kept you away from TA, and in fact SupCom's sides are have lots of with unique units, far more than TA ever had, even if it's not to the degree of Starcraft. Sounds like you're just repeating what you've heard others say, to me.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

TA was from a time when Warcraft was still the order of the day. TA was released when different factions wasn't something games had. But post-Starcraft games have strived towards more unique factions that play very different on every tech level. SupCom's factions seem like an anachronism to me, same unit selection and only small differences. And hell, even TA had more unit variety than SupCom. TA gave you two sets of 4-5 ground units and once you tech up you get even more, quite unlike Supcom's decreasing unit counts.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Caydr wrote:I have to wonder how many of SupCom's detractors here have actually played it. Claims like "all the sides are the same" obviously haven't kept you away from TA, and in fact SupCom's sides are have lots of with unique units, far more than TA ever had, even if it's not to the degree of Starcraft. Sounds like you're just repeating what you've heard others say, to me.
I've played SupCom quite a bit, including online. I try and play it when I can. I don't really claim to be an expert on it. It is fun and has a lot of cool ideas but it just doesn't feel complete right now and I'd rather be playing Spring. However, it does not have more unique units than TA.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Caydr wrote:in fact SupCom's sides are have lots of with unique units, far more than TA ever had
This is highly debatable.
Relative

Post by Relative »

Zpock wrote:
Caydr wrote:in fact SupCom's sides are have lots of with unique units, far more than TA ever had
It not debatable, its just highly inaccurate. Supcom unit types are simple and factions are nearly identical with minor alterations, with the exception of the highest tier uber units.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Relative wrote:
Zpock wrote:
It not debatable, its just highly inaccurate. Supcom unit types are simple and factions are nearly identical with minor alterations, with the exception of the highest tier uber units.
Perhaps I should have just put a lol.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I find that the types of units are the same between the factions but they do differ.

For example some fo the aeon ground units can hover

The aeon scout can hover, the cybran scout can cloak but cant hover

Cybran tech 3 aircraft can stealth

Aeon have a tier 2 shield gen and a tier 3, but the Cybran only have a tier 2, yet that shield generator cna be upgraded 5 times to be better than the enemies.

Aeon have submarines, frigates and antiair ships yet the other factions only have 2 tier 1 ships

Aeon units can sacrifice themselves

tier 1 general purpose Cybran units can repair eachother

Aeon Tier 3 siege units can reclaim and help build, whereas UEF siege units have shields

Cybran transports are far better than the rest.

Just because there arent any major differences in units doesnt mean theres no differences at all. All factions have a general set of units, but they've then be fiddled with to get different styles and results. To say they're just the same but with different gfx and names is showing how poor your grasp of supcom really is and how ignorant you are of details.

I also think some of the issues with people feeling that the game is missing stuff is from the vast quantities of units seen only in the concept art. It gave the impression there would be hundreds of unit types in each faction. The sort where you open up your tier 3 factory and see 20 unit types on offer.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Mostly, it's missing me making my epic mod for it, but I'm not doing that till the expansion now, since I <3 orbital weapons!
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

I think supcom has as many units as ta has before cc
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

For some reason, it feels like a vauge form of tratorisem to agree with Cydar.

Cydar, resume being the Evil Empire, please. You're messing with my view of reality.

(Note: This was a joke, using hyperbly and oversuggestion and so on and so forth. Do not take it seriously. Hell, don't take anything I say seriously. Except for the serious bits.)

Now I'm tottally pissed off about my SupCom...cause I cracked it, see, and now I can't PATCH it, and like a tottal zoid-brain (read, idiot) I kinda don't have the original Exe anymore.

And the disk!

Fuckidyfuck fuck, it's got at my brothers house. Damn. I'll have to complain at him for god's sake. I'm off my game, I swear it to be true.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I may be able to lend you mine.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Oh yeah, you live near me. I keep forgetting that.

Who are you, again?

Just kidding. Or maybe I'm not. Where would we meet? Maybe a dead drop in the depths of Ortega Park. You just leave the black bag. I pick it up a few minuets later and leave the $400. You pick up the money, and I sell the drugs to the Black Market.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”