DWARF FORTRESS - Page 7

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muzic

Post by Muzic »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:fckinn game, i accidently exited the game and it was like "LOL uR FORT IS ABdandoned" and i lost about 10 hours of game. nbvrer playing this again
.rar

I survived my first goblin seige with 3 casualties ( all CATS ).
gamer17

Post by gamer17 »

How long does it take for the bookkeeper and a manager to come.
I have 5 stacks of coins and 34 people
the caravan has seen the coins and left, but the bookkeeper and a manager did not come with the immigration
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

See, I had 77 people and no metal last time. Then madness.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

My best fortress is now a mess :(

I ran out of food just before the harvest and everyone started getting angry and then a tantruming dwarf destroyed my platinum bridge over the chasm.

While 6 nobles were standing on it :/
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

gamer17 wrote:How long does it take for the bookkeeper and a manager to come.
I have 5 stacks of coins and 34 people
the caravan has seen the coins and left, but the bookkeeper and a manager did not come with the immigration
Manager is one of the first nobles to appear, bookkeeper I believe comes after a long while while your in your 3rd year +. Broker comes first before the bookkeep.

I survived another goblin seige which had 2 spear masters..5 casualties on my part and an entire Human Caravan sporting SIX wagons. Humans suffered approx 15 fatalities and 15 other animals. The goblins lost about 40. 1 recruit was shot to death and the other 4 were also shot to death while in a raging torrent of confusion as humans rushed to get into my fortress; everyone was promptly drowned.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I played for like 4 hours the other day, building a new fort up from scratch. Then, as I flooded my farms in the second year, my stupid idion twat farmer goes "Hmm, there's a funny splashing noise coming from the other side of this door, I wonder what's behind it...". My entire map was flooded, from the chasm out to the whole wilderness. All my dwarves drowned. I was slightly upset. Must play more...
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Acidd_UK wrote:I played for like 4 hours the other day, building a new fort up from scratch. Then, as I flooded my farms in the second year, my stupid idion twat farmer goes "Hmm, there's a funny splashing noise coming from the other side of this door, I wonder what's behind it...". My entire map was flooded, from the chasm out to the whole wilderness. All my dwarves drowned. I was slightly upset. Must play more...
Make a channel right infront of your door to prevent that from happening
it stops dwarf made floods ( not seasonal I think ). Thats what I do and it works perfectly. At the same time lock your doors when you decide to flood a room.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Yeah I got the same advice off the Wiki. Still, if this happened in most games then I'd never wan tto play them again, wheres I only want to play more DF. Need more free time!
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Okay im guess im taking a DF break for a couple days.

My previous fort holding a grand 183 people with a near perfect magma economy failed at getting an urgent food supple thanks to a goblin road block ( you can get caravan's during a seige unlike vice versa ). I tried several things.

1. Wait for the goblin's to fall either into my traps or flood system.

It took to long and summer was nearly over ( they arrived in the beggining but they took MONTHS to get to my doorstep )

2. Send my military out to control my population.

I sent in my squad of 33 men all armed in iron chain/plates and iron weaponry. The goblin's had a squad of the same ammount but had their numbers more concentrated unlike my squad which instead decided to come by little droplets.. I only lost 7 dwarves to the initial battle. Royal and Fortress guards came rushing out along with the Captain and the Hammerer who were injured in the line of battle. Then 7 more dwarves were lost due to bleeding and tantrum's caused too much trouble and the deaths depressed alot of dwarves. Also the goblin's had 2 more squads 'hidden' ( i didnt notice ) and they ambushed 2 other dwarves when they tried to cross the bridge.

3. Try the same thing out but play it out till winter.

183 Dwarves went to 171 after the battle. Madness took in making 168. Tantrum's caused by starvations claimed an indirect probably 50 ( someone destroyed a door leading to a perma flood incased room ). Starvation also killed 50-60.

4. Control the populace by drowning them.

I drowned about 50 people causing more trouble than it was worth. Same thing happened basically, starvation and madness.

Besides I got bored of how that fortress looked. At the same time I dont feel like trying to haul my ass up the steep beggining of the game. I really liked it during that stage[endgame]; I just kind of sat back and watched things unfold.
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Haha i've been playing this, and its been using up my spring time, and it turns out there's a thread about it here!

I'm running a fortress on the 5th year with about 140 dwarves. In the last goblin siege I captured them all in cages and placed all the cages in a room that i proceded to fill up with magma. There must be a bug because they survived, even after i left them cooking there for a whole year (also no food). But hey, at least they dropped their weapons so that i can melt them to make more cages.

I also planned for plenty of food and livestock, but now i have 200 animals of varied species and i can't butcher them faster than they can breed! I had to disable my wilderness traps and i was capturing packs of 10 or so deer and fox, and it was taking so long to tame them they were producing untamed offspring in the wait.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

There is going to be a new version of Dwarf fortress out soon, that will have a Z axis \o/
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Yep that's why i came back to it.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

im still too angry from the last time I played it. Its so easy to delete saves when exiting when your not thinking
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:im still too angry from the last time I played it. Its so easy to delete saves when exiting when your not thinking
The save system is a mess. AFAIK toady will be overhauling it next patch... however I could have misunderstood. I know it's definitely a plan to fix it in the near future to allow multiple saves. The game is just too buggy right now to expect one save state to suffice.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

IIRC there will be an autosave feature as well as other fixing of the save system in the next release.

The forums there are nice, very much unlike the forums here. Only annoyance is one guy who feels compelled to post almost-relevant wiki links in half the threads.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Felix the Cat wrote:IIRC there will be an autosave feature as well as other fixing of the save system in the next release.

The forums there are nice, very much unlike the forums here. Only annoyance is one guy who feels compelled to post almost-relevant wiki links in half the threads.
They are pretty generic fan forums. When it's one guy making all the final decisions everyone pretty much worships him or gets banned. Spring we have to contend with the fact that there are tonnes and tonnes of people contributing very different things to the project, and somehow they all have to coexist.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

New version. My GOD. Im going to have to relearn the entire game.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:IIRC there will be an autosave feature as well as other fixing of the save system in the next release.

They are pretty generic fan forums. When it's one guy making all the final decisions everyone pretty much worships him or gets banned. Spring we have to contend with the fact that there are tonnes and tonnes of people contributing very different things to the project, and somehow they all have to coexist.
No, in Spring we have to contend with rampant douchebaggery and asshattery.

If it was only coexistence between people contributing different things, this place would be much nicer. (Admittedly less lulzy, though!)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Muzic, it hasn't had a new version since january..
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

JimmyJ wrote:Muzic, it hasn't had a new version since january..
A new version is coming out soon which will incorporate the z-axis (up and down), among other major changes.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”