DWARF FORTRESS - Page 48

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

pharoph

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by pharoph »

ive connected the bridge to a lever so it will work fine. no more robbers for me!
manored

Post by manored »

You gotta be carefull to not let then sneak in then the bridge is passable tough :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

by that time ill have some spear dwarfs patroling and i have 2 stone fall traps in the front of my fortress if the robber gets spotted. i heard cage traps where very fun to use.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

one of my planters is chest checking on his break. explination?
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

hes checking his chest? Chest as in item, not body.

well... its his break, i mean that doesnt sound weird. I mean if he was folllowing little children aroudn then id worry. it sounds like he just wants to check up on his goods and deposits some of his wealth time to time. Just part of his/her personality.
manored

Post by manored »

Dwarves in dwarf fortress can be pedophilies or other kinds of weird mental problems? This game never stops impressing me :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

No i was exagerating.
manored

Post by manored »

Muzic wrote:No i was exagerating.
:(
:)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

well my dwarf that was on his break was sitting in his bedroom minding his own busines when he starts to travel the the 8th bedroom that doesnt have anybody in it and it has a chest in it. he goes over to that chest and back again to his own chest. the operation was called checking chest
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

The Lord Of The Chests - The Fellowship Of The Chest

Inspired by pharaoph's forum stories.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

SinbadEV wrote:whenever a kobold shows up I just go to military and make all my dwarfs active... they kill it... then I switch them back... is there something wrong with this plan?
They'll all get grumpy from the draft (as in, drafting into war) and complain about it.

Remember, what leads to the downfall of most fortresses is not goblins, starvation, megabeasts, or any of that jazz- it is one dwarf finally snapping and killing someone, which leads to all their friends becoming miserable from the death of a friend which makes them all snap and go on bridge-trashing rampages that make other dwarves fall to their deaths that leads to a cascade of mental breakdown and your fortress goes to pot.

Pissing everyone off with a draft every time you see a thief will make that just a tad more likely.
manored

Post by manored »

I think dwarves are a bit too emotional on DF, People usually get depressed for a while then someone dies instead of going on a murderous rampage :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

manored wrote:I think dwarves are a bit too emotional on DF, People usually get depressed for a while then someone dies instead of going on a murderous rampage :)
Dwarf and Human emotions are different.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Remember, what leads to the downfall of most fortresses is not goblins, starvation, megabeasts, or any of that jazz- it is one dwarf finally snapping and killing someone, which leads to all their friends becoming miserable from the death of a friend which makes them all snap and go on bridge-trashing rampages that make other dwarves fall to their deaths that leads to a cascade of mental breakdown and your fortress goes to pot.
The dwarven moods arent THAT bad unless youre forcing them to sleep on 1x1 rooms and eat without a table.

The only fortress i've abandoned due to dwarven moods was when a seasonal flood washed my mighty miner's pet cat into death, and the miner threw a tantrum and destroyed the only bridge linking my 2 fortress parts together, followed by him bringing down the support pillar in the barracks , leading to ~20 dwarves dying from collapse.

Currently, im having trouble with goblins ambushing my dwarves with like 20 archers, killing everyone moving outside (woodcutters, rangers, herbalists) which in turn impacts the immigration ("no immigrants arrived due to threat") which in turn whittles my fortress slowly down
manored

Post by manored »

Muzic wrote:
manored wrote:I think dwarves are a bit too emotional on DF, People usually get depressed for a while then someone dies instead of going on a murderous rampage :)
Dwarf and Human emotions are different.
True :)

I kept my dwarves on 1x1 rooms and they dont complain about it, actually they even call it a "good bedroom" :) Only bad thing is that if it is a barracks style room with assigned beds the noise of some dwarves moving around can disturb the sleeping ones.

I suppose that you could try something such as digging tunnels to under the globin positions then digging up and storming then with your warriors.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Dwarven moods actually dont...end...a fort.

They might take down a few important dwarves which makes players quit. The fortress ofcourse is still a fully operational deathstar.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

i normaly build 3x3 rooms with a door a wooden bed and a chest.
the door is made by my profesionalist carpenter followed by my profesionalist mason, and the metal smith with no experience does the smoothing of the bedrooms.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

pharoph wrote:and the metal smith with no experience does the smoothing of the bedrooms.
Really? In every fort I've had, by the tiem I hav espare manpower to do smoothing, I can usually spare 2 or 3 dwarves to become dedicated smoothers/engravers. Then let them smooth and engrave the less-important parts of your fort first, so they quickly become legendary, then let them smooth/engrave the dining rooms and bedrooms, resulting in no unhappy dwarves ever again.

My 'standard' bedrooms (once the giant barracks doesn't cut it anymore) are 2x5 with a bed, chest, armour rack, weapon stand and statue, and the dwarves in them refer to them as 'like a personal palace'. Generally by that ponit the carpenter and mason are legendary, so the rooms are pretty much 'perfect'.... Of course it all goes wrong when the economy kicks in, but that's what NO_RENT is for imho :-)
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I embark with at least one proficient engraver so I can have happy dwarves off the bat.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

El Idiot wrote:I embark with at least one proficient engraver so I can have happy dwarves off the bat.
Fuck happiness.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”