DWARF FORTRESS - Page 32

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Saktoth »

Sleksa wrote:Incorrect.!
Actually, in the case of chunks, and other unusable junk its best to have a stockpile outdoors. A fortress that lacks efficiency and doesnt use custom stockpiles is not a proper fortress!

Also, a fortress surviving almost entirely on meat (cat farmers, glacial fortresses, etc) is probably going to want to let some of their bones decay.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Actually, in the case of chunks, and other unusable junk its best to have a stockpile outdoors. A fortress that lacks efficiency and doesnt use custom stockpiles is not a proper fortress!
Good point!

But other than chunks(and skulls, totems are for goblins not dwarves)
Many refuse can be reused, and thus should be saved.
Also, a fortress surviving almost entirely on meat (cat farmers, glacial fortresses, etc) is probably going to want to let some of their bones decay.
Why so?
Erom

Post by Erom »

Even if you don't make totems, save a few skulls for strange moods.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Skulls of huge invading beasts like dragons inside some kind of museum are pretty dwarf-approved I think.
manored

Post by manored »

But if you got the oportunity to have a huge skull in a museum you will mostly have your dwarves die inside it before having the chance :)

Unleash beasts come to invade you from outside, what Im not sure about.
Erom

Post by Erom »

That's a really cool idea, actually - the ability to build pedestals, and place items on them, allowing dwarves to admire those items like they admire architecture.
manored

Post by manored »

I think dwarves already admire cool stuff around the fortress, tough im not sure, and maybe they only admire whats theirs. (such as stuff in their room). I think that maybe in "room style" places such as meeting halls they will admire it.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

They do admire furniture and buildings, but not some random masterwork gem in a pile.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Sleksa wrote:Why so?
If every single meal is meat and produces bones, the whole of the rest of your economy will need to be based on bones just to use them up. Sure, you can stockpile bone bolts or something, but this just creates a bunch of useless objects filling your stockpile.

Bones are not so valuable that they are worth taking dwarves off of your forges or out of the military just to use them up. Crafts can only buy so much from a caravan (and id rather be getting rid of stone) and you only need so many bolts.

If you combine fish/meat heavy food consumption with goblin sieges and the huge bone counts they can create, you quickly find yourself with more bones than you could ever use.
manored

Post by manored »

Just dump then :) A lame thing about this game is that any amount of itens can be dumbed anywhere, as long as they are "dumbed"... quite exploitable I would say. Maybe having to deal with where to put all your trash would be fun... :)
lurker

Post by lurker »

I found this image and had no choice but to bring it here. It disturbs me.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

manored wrote:Just dump then :) A lame thing about this game is that any amount of itens can be dumbed anywhere, as long as they are "dumbed"... quite exploitable I would say. Maybe having to deal with where to put all your trash would be fun... :)
It's still in beta. Item space constraints are really only very very simply controlled at this point in time. Item sizes and their relation to storage is planned IIRC.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

I store all of my dumped items in a 1x1 garbage zone :-)
Erom

Post by Erom »

I usually use several zones, cause they dump into the nearest one, so I can organize what goes in what. A zone near my quarry to stack a ton of stone into a single space, a zone near the outside of my base to stack goblin crap, ect.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Alright, I need clothing advice.
I want to get rid of all the tattered clothing, and give my dwarves a new set of clothes.
Any advice on what I should produce to keep em happy?
nemppu

Post by nemppu »

full silk clothes all dyed red
manored

Post by manored »

One thing that I have no experience in this game is in how to make clothes... How do I make clothes? :) How I harvest spider webs to make clothes? How I make dye and paint then?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Spider webs can only be gained if you have a chasm or cave river (I actually think the spier webs are caused by the chasm at the end). They should appear in any area connected to the chasm. Then just get a loom and set it to harvest webs/make cloth.

Alternatively grow pig tails and make pig tail cloth, but your cloth from traders, or make leather clothes.
Erom

Post by Erom »

I use pig tails, since silk is hard to find. The production chain goes,

->input
Process (requirements)
<-output

->Pig tail seeds
Plant pig tails (Grower)
Harvest pig tails (whoever)
<-Pig tails

->Pig Tails
Process Plants (Thresher, Farmer's Workshop)
<-Pig Tail seeds
<-Pig Tail thread

->Pig Tail thread
Weave Thread (Weaver, Loom)
<-Pig Tail Cloth

->Pig Tail Cloth
Maek clothes(Clothier, Clothiers Workshop)
<-Clothes

Die takes additional steps, but increases the value. The nice thing about setting this up is you also can produce more bags and rope than you'll ever need.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

skinning kittens and supplying your fort with kitten-leather clothing is a faster and easier , and way more E V I L way

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”