DWARF FORTRESS - Page 47

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Erom

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Erom »

Demons don't "come" to your fortress naturally. One specific thing needs to happen, but I don't want to spoil the surprise if you don't know what it is.
manored

Post by manored »

Erom wrote:Demons don't "come" to your fortress naturally. One specific thing needs to happen, but I don't want to spoil the surprise if you don't know what it is.
Interesting :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Sleksa wrote:yeah new version is looking sweet.

im having ~100 dwarves now, and the goblins are sending archer ambushes which are starting to hurt (first ambush killed 10 dwarves and a human caravan @,@)

im thinking of building 3x3 or bigger towers/bunkers armed with marksdwarves and maybe a ballista/catapult on top for sieges

Anyone have any good ideas on countering the goblin ambushes?
Human caravans are amazing meat shields.

Well i still cheat with defences by abusing path finding (not sure if it still works). I simply close the front 'gate' and the only entrance is a narrow corridor in which once enough goblins get in, i either channel magma or water (which ever you have) and drown the bastards.

But when designing your fortress you always have to plan for the fact that your little starting cave/town will be your battle zone. Long narrow corridors with expert marksdwarves, ballistas, stone traps, cage traps, x10 axe traps on 1 trap.

When I start a fortress I personally plan to abandon that first soil layer completely. And make a large 3x3 winding corridor that leads to staircases into another smaller 'control' room which i station marksdwarves on the other side of the wall which is complete with those little firing slots; and then into the main fortress which ofcourse is still layered with traps. Those long hallways in the soil are of course literally colored with white and red ^'s. Its like an american airport here..

Oh IIRC, ballista dont fire according to Z level. They fire...straight. Bunkers though are prettttttty badass. Ive seen some crazy towers which just annihilate goblins. Im not even sure they can fire back up either.
manored

Post by manored »

I suppose you can always make a fortifications corridor if you plan your start bad :) And I read somewhere that in dwarf fortress launched creature (and I suppose this applies to catapulted rocks) fly all they have to fly horizontally, and only after their momentum is over they fall down... this must look quite strange :)
Erom

Post by Erom »

Muzic wrote:Im not even sure they can fire back up either.
They can, but the check to shoot through a fortification depends on how close you are too it (IE, it's easy to stand next a fortification and shoot through but very hard to shoot through from a distance) and the height above ground of the tower means the gobbos can't get close enough to fire through with any accuracy.

There is a drawback though - the higher your tower, the safer you are from retaliatory fire and the bigger your height advantage, but the bigger the blindspot.

IE:

Code: Select all

= ground
d dwarf
O wall
X fortification
! blind spot
` air

`````````````````````````
``````````````````XdX````
``````````````````OOO````
````XdX``````````!OOO!```
````OOO`````````!!OOO!!``
```!OOO!```````!!!OOO!!!`
=========================
You know, I haven't worked it out, but I think that means that you are also in the goblins blind spot if the goblin is standing too close.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Here's a little flyby of my current fortress, Ballwhipped:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-791-ballwhippedfly-by

Notice the goblins in the refuse piles. They managed to penetrate the gate again, decimating my army for the 3rd time. A siege arrives at least once a year, so it's getting hard to replenish my army. The last two immigration waves have all been drafted.

My new strategy is to use the hammerer in my defense scheme. You can see his little house at the beginning.
manored

Post by manored »

Man, thats a huge fortress. I never get so far cause I usually get a feeling of that my fortress is completely out of control and start another... is that common? :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

omg. wow. that is HUGE! i noticed you had some screw pumps and some screw pumps soon to be built? omg. i fear if i contine to do my current fortress ill haft to make it bigger. and make some walls. lots and lots of walls.

any way with the fortification issue.. what about hav ing a tower defence fortification? where you could channel the goblins into your wall of fortifications and kill them all with getting hurt a bit.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

There is a drawback though - the higher your tower, the safer you are from retaliatory fire and the bigger your height advantage, but the bigger the blindspot.
That's what crossfire from multiple towers is for.
manored

Post by manored »

You can always fill the bottom with traps too :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

im currently researching on bags and silk.

yesterday an annoying thing happend. when the first trade caravan i moved my goods to the depot, i opend up the depot to see what was for offer. i was looking for 1000* anvils. they had 3000*. so i decided to buy something else. i bought a group of dimple cup spawn and something else. this something else was what it looked like on screen, a steel battle axe or something like that. but when i bought it, i found out that it was a trap component. morale of the story: its annoying how the words get cut of on the side of the screen. dont be fooled.
manored

Post by manored »

Well a gigant stell blade is not exactly something useless :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

any ideas on how to stop a kobald from intering your fortress with traps or the gigantic stell blade?

any any tips on how to use it?
manored

Post by manored »

Thieves dont triger traps (maybe pressure plates but that would get your dwarves too) so you need some kind of patrol, I suppose dogs are especially good for this. You can use the steel blade in a weapon trap, weapon traps are simple to set up, you just need to build then, put the weapons you want in and then enemies that step on it will be attacked by the weapons.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

a war dog patrol? how would i set that up?
manored

Post by manored »

Not sure, I think you just need to assign then to a certain dwarf and tell him to guard an area, or maybe chain then to a post (should be possible considering how awesome DF is) or something like that and their ferocity will probally take care of the rest :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

or get some rope and then use it to station a dog near your entrance.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

how about a moat to keep them out? because i still need all my dwarfs and i have no rope and no chain to do the post.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

whenever a kobold shows up I just go to military and make all my dwarfs active... they kill it... then I switch them back... is there something wrong with this plan?
manored

Post by manored »

A moat + a drawbridge should work but you will need to keep it coming up/down as necessity arises to minimize the chances of someone getting in while it is "open". Except you dont mind thieves getting in as long as they dont get away with anything, in that case you can just "close" the moat once you detect a thief in and reopen once he is "dealt with" :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”