DWARF FORTRESS - Page 54

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheMightyOne

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by TheMightyOne »

i have a new problem, i had my first ambush and defended my fort successfully. traped 3 more goblins, got 4 now. during the ambush i ordered all my dwarfs to stay inside. after the ambush i realsed them again and then something strange started to happen. my whole announcements screen is red now, everybody cancels their actions to "get a drink/get something to eat/go to bed etc."
did i do something wrong?

p.s. how do i move trapped goblins, ive built an arena and my aim is to arrange gladiator fights once ive trapped some other creatures which would fight goblins but till then id like to make a kind of window so my marksdwarfs could practice shooting on living targets :) is that possible?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Yeah, make fortifications for them to shoot through, as for releasing creatures, I can't remember how to do that.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

any idea what triggered the canceled tasks? im in the next season now and its still the same... a bug?
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Edit: Nevermind, probably your dwarves are reall thirsty, but then cannot get to the water source for some reason. So they keep trying to driunk, give up, do someything else, then realise they're thirsty... etc. Do you dwarves show up as being thirsty?
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

What's the climate? Hot climates make dwarves thirsty all the time :P
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

when your pressed "dwarves can go outside" button you also pressed another button which allowed not so serious issues to get into your annoncement screen. thats my theory
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Snipawolf wrote:Yeah, make fortifications for them to shoot through, as for releasing creatures, I can't remember how to do that.
place the cage inside the "shooting range" youre about to build, and then build a lever somewhere outside, then link the cage to the lever.

When you pull the lever the cage will open and the gobbos will start to wander around.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Columbus wrote:What's the climate? Hot climates make dwarves thirsty all the time :P
the climate is "warm", if this would be the reason then that would be happening from the start, but it started at some point after ca. 2 years.

my first idea was that there are not enough tables for all dwarfs to eat/drink, so thirsty/hungry dwarfs were waiting for a table to become free and as soon as this happened they canceled the current task to get something to drink. ive expanded my dining room, added more tables and it didnt help.

now im thinking that its because they are drinking the same booze, of which they are tired they say. might this be the reason?
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

TheMightyOne wrote: my first idea was that there are not enough tables for all dwarfs to eat/drink, so thirsty/hungry dwarfs were waiting for a table to become free and as soon as this happened they canceled the current task to get something to drink. ive expanded my dining room, added more tables and it didnt help.

now im thinking that its because they are drinking the same booze, of which they are tired they say. might this be the reason?
Don't worry about it, you just accidentally changed an option in your orders menu. Those job cancellations are very normal for a mid sized fortress.
Just go into the orders menu and press x a few times to get the desired level of announcements.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Orders
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

thank you ! does it mean that the cancels are something that happens all the time? and that we just dont usually see it?
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

TheMightyOne wrote:thank you ! does it mean that the cancels are something that happens all the time? and that we just dont usually see it?
Exactly. Dwarves are extremely lazy and selfish. Don't expect them to do anything without drinking, eating or sleeping too long. Entire fortresses have perished because of entire squadrons of champions sleeping in the barracks, or because a peasant decided not to pull a lever and have some cat tallow cookies instead.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

pharoph wrote:when your pressed "dwarves can go outside" button you also pressed another button which allowed not so serious issues to get into your annoncement screen. thats my theory

WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME :cry: :cry:
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

pharoph wrote:WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME :cry: :cry:
lol sorry :roll:
manored

Post by manored »

pharoph wrote:
pharoph wrote:when your pressed "dwarves can go outside" button you also pressed another button which allowed not so serious issues to get into your annoncement screen. thats my theory

WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME :cry: :cry:
Everone is trying to find you in their telescopes.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

challenge for dwarf fortress players:

starting as a human in adventurer mode, kill everyone in your starting town.
without dying.

it is crazily difficult but I almost acheived it, once.
good hints would be to steal some better equipment from a shop first (although that'll make the gaurds rush you) and take some skill in ambushing so you can escape/hide. also, picking up peoples dismembered body parts and weapons and throwing them at other charging villagers is very effective, so be sure to take some throwing skill.

my best attempt failed when I had a spear stuck through one leg (its owned got smashed into the river and drowned) and the other one minus a foot. my attempt to crawl to the edge of the town was spotted just when i was in sight of escape and I was confronted by a gaurd with a hammer.
I threw lumps of meat at him as he charged, somehow bruising his spleen and breaking his shield arm as he closed then, we traded blows. I hacked off one of his legs as he broke one of my arms and sent me flying into a tree.
we both pass out.
time passes.
he comes to and crawls sinisterly towards me, then faints.
more time passes.
I come to, and throw meat at him, but it misses- I faint as well.
DISASTER
he comes to, and -achingly slowly- drags his broken body over to mine, leaving behind a bloody limb, and reaching me, with the last of his strength brings his hammer down on my head

Ker-splat!
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

lol, i havent tried adventure mode yet but just reading this crazy s**t amazes me xD
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

has anyone even played Dwarf Fortress in awhile :X?
lurker

Post by lurker »

A couple days ago I built up a nice starter fort with peasent zergrush power. It's about time to start the overbudget projects phase hooray!
overkill

Post by overkill »

I made my last fortress as humans. I decicded to make everything out of wood and not dig until the 10th year (to signify technology or something). It was all good, i had a large wooden castle thing...steady flow of wooden trade goods. the tenth year came, so i dug into a magma pipe (well the obsidian floor area around it). A fire imp came out and started a forest fire in an attenp to get a stray fluffy wambler. nuff said, wooden castle in a !!Forest!! isnt gonna live long. i did what i could to save it, it didnt burn as much as it could. but it eneded in tears and tantrum spirals :(
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

how do you start forts as other races? modding?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”