DWARF FORTRESS - Page 57

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muzic

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Muzic »

JohannesH wrote:Mouse is not needed... Its like in rts, keyboard is faster once you know the keys. Problem is that in DF the layout of all the menus is totally fucked up.
What the fuck are you taking about. Im pretty sure I can click one end of section and drag a square around to the next. Rather then pressing a key to initiate the action of cutting logs, then selecting where to start, then to end. Obviously there would still be the short cuts but if you could just click on things right infront of you rather than navigating multiple keystrokes, it would be much more efficient.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Gota wrote:Suggest it on df
As it turns out his has already been suggested before on the forums and Toady has responded in a way that I completely understand and while I think it's a dumb reason for the most part I see where he is coming from and accept it at this time... I do hope that some of the hacky projects like stonesense come to fruition in the long run... and perhaps some day when Toady feels that DF is "feature complete" he will release what is needed to create the interface most of us want.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

SinbadEV wrote:what would be awesome would be if he made it so the brain of the thing was decoupled from the input and display interface... maybe a dll or some such... then a ui could be built by the community to replace the official one without interfering with the truly unique and creative programming that toady excels at.
It's already very loosely this way. But it's unlikely it will advance too much more than it already is. Toady isn't a programmer even by education, he's a mathematician, hard programming end stuff he doesn't like. Game problems can be mathematically difficult, but the code involved isn't really that abstract.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.0

So probably in a week or two, since this release is going to be orgasmic. Go toady go!
Regret

Post by Regret »

I MAEK DWARF
dworf.png
ALSO NEW VERSION SOON WOO
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

What ever happened to the succession game?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

JohannesH wrote:What ever happened to the succession game?
People failed? When the new version hits and Civilization Forge is tested as working, I'm sure people will start another, and I'll be happy to participate if I can get in before year five for my first turn. Preferably two or three.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Civilization forge? Oo
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Regret wrote:I MAEK DWARF
dworf.png
This Dwarf has very long legs.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Gota wrote:Civilization forge? Oo
Races, monsters, metals, plants, etc... ++ and balanced.
Regret

Post by Regret »

SwiftSpear wrote:This Dwarf has very long legs.
;-;

(ok it's not a dwarf just a random guy with beard and a battleaxe that reminded me of df >_>)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Regret wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:This Dwarf has very long legs.
;-;

(ok it's not a dwarf just a random guy with beard and a battleaxe that reminded me of df >_>)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Regret wrote:I MAEK DWARF
dworf.png
Tha's a really tall dorf.

Ps, found this somewhere:

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

you should make this game in Spring engine... imagine the advantages of the 3d view and the awesome lua shaders and widgets you can automate your playing on its limits and the epicness of real time 8v8 games against any guy around the world
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TradeMark wrote:you should make this game in Spring engine... imagine the advantages of the 3d view and the awesome lua shaders and widgets you can automate your playing on its limits and the epicness of real time 8v8 games against any guy around the world
Spring is already painfully CPU intensive, adding DF style world-sim to that would be a nightmare... my idea was to get a nice super-computer to run a DF-like-world-sim and then have players connect to it with a pretty-3D client... oh wait, you weren't being serious were you?
lurker

Post by lurker »

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF MASTERPIECE GEAR IN WAFER THIN GEAR ASSEMBLIES THAT FILL MY COMPLEX.
IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR DWARVES AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.
--Tattooedcloistered, Sentient Dwarf Calculator Fortress
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Maaaan, you ever start a succession and miss the fact that the first year ended? You can't jump from an old fortress to a new one, you're working on a totally different scale of time.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

NEW DWARF RELEASE.

>Download it
>Expect to get April fooled
>Boot it up
>Says v0.31.01
>Several new soil layers when scanning world map

FUCK YEAH

also,

data/init/init.txt

Just copy over the relevant lines from your tiled version, and free yourself from the shackles of ASCII
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Would this be why the DF site is not responding?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

In The Meantime!

I just discovered a Dwarf Fortress-Like FPS game!!! OMGWTF EH?

It's in alpha and it crashed when I got attacked by a goblin... but otherwise it's pretty cool/weird.

http://minecraft.net/

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”