DWARF FORTRESS - Page 2

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

talking in all capitals makes you rly cool in the same way that wearing a backward baseball cap and saying "dude" and "totally" in every sentence does

this game does look somehow pro, dling
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Remember to join #DF in lobby if you need help, currently helping some people out on the game so feel free to join in <3

I also forgot the mention about pregenerated worlds , downloading these skips you from the "generate world" part.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/worlds.html

create a data/save folder and extract it inside it to skip the generating.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the roof fell in and killed virtually everyone :( this game is haarrd
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

i started a new fort and the population was around ~32 when a Gremlin appeared out of nowhere, the population then dropped to 17 and most of them are injured too atm :-(

one lucky axedwarf managed to behead the creep but lost his leg in the process >,<
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

this is the best game ever.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Elephants

Elephants can operate doorknobs and are incapable of feeling fear. After an elephant has unsheathed its tusks, it cannot resheath them again until its bloodlust has been satisfied. No one has ever witnessed this happening. An elephant's main diet consists of elephant hunters.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

nemppu wrote:
nemppu wrote:THIS IS A FINE THREAD!))
why it does not my signature not show?
It DOES not show your signature. Nothing wrong here.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:the roof fell in and killed virtually everyone :( this game is haarrd
I had a game where I had dug a food storage that was way too large, but for some reason it waited till i'd carted all the food in the fort into the room before collapsing.

Somehow my dwarves survived and I managed to the exact same thing again after I grew some more food : (
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Ishach wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:the roof fell in and killed virtually everyone :( this game is haarrd
I had a game where I had dug a food storage that was way too large, but for some reason it waited till i'd carted all the food in the fort into the room before collapsing.

Somehow my dwarves survived and I managed to the exact same thing again after I grew some more food : (
Must be less then 7x7 squares to not collapse, so one can do like:

OOOOOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOXOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOOOOO
OOOOOOO

support pillars!

This game is sick. It's slower then any other game ever, I played one fort for 6h and didn't make a single soldier yet, and din't see any enemies either... lol

All the dwarfs are lazy and repeat orders cancel themselves if they fail...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

This game is over the top. As an insomniac, I am happy to have something to do when not sleeping.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

I've never made it to the cave river...infact Ive never seen it XD!!!
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Muzic wrote:I've never made it to the cave river...infact Ive never seen it XD!!!
Uh, you just have to dig a straight line to the right for like 1-2 screens and there you go. Your supposed to rush to the river to get farms going. Understanding how levers and floodgates and stuff works is hard however, took me awhile and I still kill dwarfs off here and there when flooding my farms lol.

Tough on the other hand personally i never dared dig to the lava and stuff.
Last edited by Zpock on 27 Jun 2007, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Adalore

Post by Adalore »

Its stright east! IE ---> that a way.

I have seen or rather gotten to the river twice, And when seting up for an mushroom farm I completly forgot about the 7x7 max and three of my guys died >_>

Gonna start a new fort and see how channels work with flood gates, and see if I can have a effcent Channel way down my entire main hall to down out dem Gobbys.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

If this game had a proper save fuction instead of a quit save D:

How do I make a support D:
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

In my 20+ successfull forts i always get to the lava and have all my magma forges set up and then my fort slows to a halt and despite having 150 dwarves less gets done than when i had 20 :S
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

i know the feeling, i think its mainly because of stockpiles, when i put down some stone stockpiles my dwarves suddenly stopped going to the farm plots at all ~~ .

i currently only use food and wood stockpiles, i move my mason's workshops more inside when they start taking a lot of time finding out rocks so the stone piles are basically unnecessary :}
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

I think it can also happen if your corridors are too thin. I read somewhere that for two dwarves to pass over a square one of them has to stay still for a turn while the other passes it.

So multiply that x 100 dwarves in a narrow passage :(
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

yeah i try to make my main corridors 5 wide and i make 3 stone bridges that are 2x wide on the water.

1x corridors make HUGE bottlenecks, i read that the dwarves climb over eachother on those tunnels, try doing that when carrying a floodgate and a guy with a table tries to go past too and there's a cow wandering around too D___D
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

In my first major fort I had something insane like 180 dwarves in the third year as well as hundreds of mules and dogs walking around I had a huge 1x tall corridor going all the way to the chasm.

That didnt go very well : (
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

I uploaded a small fort i built, 60 dwarves and some basic stuff done

http://files-upload.com/327398/save.rar.html

extract it into data/save, remember to make a backup of your own fort.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”