DWARF FORTRESS - Page 60

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: dorf

Post by SwiftSpear »

zwzsg wrote:Corrupt moderatorship is partial! I demand that a clear rule be edicted about which criteria is used to elect indie games to sticky status!
A 50+ page thread helps.

[edit] to be honest, I wouldn't mind pimping more good stuff in the off topic forum. In my imagination it would be a cool place to have highlights of neat stuff happening on the net, DF is just really the only other indie or OS project I've gotten into to any degree. We used to do werewolf game stickies, but we just didn't have a critical mass of active players needed to keep it running more than 2 generations.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

SwiftSpear wrote:
zwzsg wrote:Corrupt moderatorship is partial! I demand that a clear rule be edicted about which criteria is used to elect indie games to sticky status!
A 50+ page thread helps.

[edit] to be honest, I wouldn't mind pimping more good stuff in the off topic forum. In my imagination it would be a cool place to have highlights of neat stuff happening on the net, DF is just really the only other indie or OS project I've gotten into to any degree. We used to do werewolf game stickies, but we just didn't have a critical mass of active players needed to keep it running more than 2 generations.

Humble indie bundle would have been a perfect sticky.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

==Troy== wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:
A 50+ page thread helps.

Humble indie bundle would have been a perfect sticky.
No, it had no trouble keeping on the top of the page by itself and now it is over - stickying would have changed nothing
==Troy==

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by ==Troy== »

DF page sank down quite a while ago too, with like 1 post per week or so
Regret

Post by Regret »

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ARMOK
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

SwiftSpear wrote:
A 50+ page thread helps.

You should do it like neddie did to me, create a sticky topic named "DWARF FORTRESS & OTHER INDIE GAMES" and convince people that you had to do a separate topic because there are other indie games going to be added in the topic you created. But in fact, there are never going to be added anything more, thus show everyone how you just wanted to create own topic to show off your moderator powers. :lol:

Edit: Oh wait, i think "DWARF FORTRESS & OTHER DWARF FORTRESS GAMES" is more ironic title.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

There were and are other programs in the category, specifically a number of scripts by Evil4Zerggin and another defunct website. As it turns out, none of these made it to the sticky for various reasons, but they were the primary motivation behind what was intended as consolidation. Some things don't turn out as planned, but that is life.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Picking at the new version... started my fortress on-top of a human town... the humans ignored me and seems to let me claim everything and move into their buildings... too bad I discovered a vast underground tunnel system inhabited by Giant Cave Spiders... Ones with names and everything... lost my first batch of dwarves and moved in to reclaim and lost 5 of them (one to madness from all the death and scattered corpses) last two have stated setting up shop in the human fort and if they can survive until the first group of immigrants show up I think I'll be able to make a go of it.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

DF needs sticky because you can hack off a mans arm and throw it back at him so hard it punches a hole clean through his chest- then you can fire a crossbow at the man and have the bolt miss because it went through the hole

if you dont think that is stick worthy, you are a hollow shell of a man
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I like how there is again enough magma to flood the world with lava.

Should start a new succession once it's stable and there are some hard succession-worthy mods out.

Anyway it has to be sticky so newcomers can see it and be introduced to DF. I wouldn't oppose the addition of more stickies for this kind of thing but what could you put along side with DF?
Edible

Post by Edible »

A succession thread would be epic
(assuming the people here are vaguely decent)
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

I wouldnt mind to start one, I had a world somewhere in my saves, with terrifying biome (skeletal whales) and giant cave spiders in the undergrounds while having nice amount of magnetite and glacier.
Edible

Post by Edible »

One with lava would be great
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I was playing DF pretty steadily for a few days, then it crashed and I lost a season's worth of progress (I'm not sure if auto-save was on or not)... anyway... don't try to use floor flow for specifying zones apparently...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Edible wrote:One with lava would be great
In theory, all forts now have lava.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Yes, all forts have lava about 60 zlevels down,

since the df 2010 my fort begins from huge 3X3 up/down stairway to magma sea, where I immediately dig out about 10 smelters and 6 forges, while, at the same time, the top soil layers get some farming done. After this is set up, I can basically encase myself into walls and forget about outside world forever.
Edible

Post by Edible »

I have still been playing the older versions as I heard that the latest is totally unstable and has many gameending bugs, has this changed?

Also hell yes magma sea, maybe somewhere with bauxite (or decent odds for) then?
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Just wait till a more stable version comes out, and think of succesion games after that imo
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The current version is fairly stable, but it has some graphical bugs on some machines, and a few crashes. Just save occasionally.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I just started with the new version. Mixed impressions thus far.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”