DWARF FORTRESS - Page 63

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Coresair

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Coresair »

Yeah, I am itching to play the new version, but the performance was lackluster on my slow quadcore. I have a fast dual core system coming in next week, so I will certainly be back to DF for quite some time (it will probably absorb my life, again).

Guys, minecraft is NOTHING compared to DF :P .
Gota

Post by Gota »

Minecrap*
MrCucumber

Post by MrCucumber »

SwiftSpear wrote:Ya, we had a good fun time with DF for quite a while. It's been a while since this thread has been very active in discussion, but as you can see it once was thriving.

I haven't played the most recent Dwarf Fortress patches, I should get back to it though, the pet systems sounded pretty interesting.
Pots, little tribes of *man and great bug improvements. I personally trying to finish my massive Gold statue of the smiley that represents dwarfs :P
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Gota

Post by Gota »

Indeed...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I'm trying really hard to like the newer versions but 40d combat was just so much cooler :( I miss the days when wounds didnt heal within ten seconds and when hits frequently pulped body parts and sent people flying into objects to explode into a cloud of gore
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I'm trying really hard to like the newer versions but 40d combat was just so much cooler :( I miss the days when wounds didnt heal within ten seconds and when hits frequently pulped body parts and sent people flying into objects to explode into a cloud of gore
That was removed? I thought it was made more comprehensive than it once was.

(to be fair, I only play dwarf mode)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

no, its really broken atm, you realise when you play adventure mode.

because all wounds stop bleeding almost instantly, and no organ but the heart and brain are actually functional (except the lung, but characters function virtually unimpeded with the loss of a single lung) the only way of killing someone is
a) damaging the brain
b) causing a huge amount of bloodloss in a short amount of time

this makes all combat boil down to bopping them on the head. no more busting the liver and letting them bleed out, no more hammering someone in the torso and sending them flying off high ledges...
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

this makes all combat boil down to bopping them on the head.
Not really IMO. Limbs are still functional - you can whack off an opponent's leg to knock them over and permanently slow them. Similarly you can chop off their arms to disarm them (no pun intended). And while blood loss is no longer a leading cause of death, most creatures are still affected by pain - and if you or your opponent is rendered unconscious then you're as good as dead. Aimed shots at the head are always successful against an unconscious target.

The balance between sharp weapons vs. bludgeoning weapons still needs work. Bludgeoning is far, far less effective than it used to be in 40d.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

^ severing limbs causes blood loss for a tiny length of time, and causes less pain than a broken bone.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:^ severing limbs causes blood loss for a tiny length of time, and causes less pain than a broken bone.
Actually I think that's biologically accurate... why don't you try it and tell us?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:^ severing limbs causes blood loss for a tiny length of time, and causes less pain than a broken bone.
Combat ability is significantly decreased with a severed limb though. More so than with a broken bone.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

play adventurer mode for a while, you will realise pretty quickly how broken current system is. I had an adventurer be kicked around by goblins for literally 60+ pages of announcements; every body part mangled, broken torn, literally everything in ruins. over the course of the beating I must have lost SO much blood. however, because it happened over time, and because they were unable to damage by head through my masterwork helmet, I survived having every bone in body broken, limbs removed etc etc for a stupid amount of time. literally the only ways to die are

a) both lungs disabled
b) throat torn out/strangled
c) heart disabled
d) or most commonly, brain damaged.

compare that to 40d, where a pikemaster right ram his pike through your chest, twist it around while your squirm and then you bleed to death, its pretty big difference.

weapons dont get stuck anymore. if they stick in, they auto become unstuck next turn. characters always retain possession of their weapon when unsticking, so no more losing your weapon when you move away while its stuck in then being all 'oh shit'

i could go on for ages because I really put some time in to figuring out the system, to net dissapointment. Preffer 40d :(
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

found this on reddit

http://i.imgur.com/ogH4o.png

sounds painful
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

NEW VERSION SQUEEEEEEEEE
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

KaiserJ wrote:found this on reddit

http://i.imgur.com/ogH4o.png

sounds painful
You can have to much vivid imagined realism...
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

So I got around to trying dwarf fortress again

I am impressed!

The Lazy Newb Pack + quickstart guide is very very handy, no more custom mucking around and installing tilesets to make game playable (sorry its a complete no go for me without tilesets). Everything in a nice bunch.

And the quickstart guide in the wiki got me up to a 50+ functional fort that is easily walled off. I am liking this.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Bump (inb4 it's a sticky).

Going to learn to play this game. Starting my first game tomorrow. Anyone been playing lately?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Not super recently... but it's mostly superficial stuff that's changed since the last time I played. You gonna play on default graphics or DL a graphics pack?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Probably just going to use the noob pack, it comes with a tileset as well I think? So I'll be using that.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”