DWARF FORTRESS - Page 38

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Decimator

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Decimator »

If you ate every meal in what is essentially a glittering palace, your view on life might change somewhat as well. :P
manored

Post by manored »

Id rather have good food than a glitering palace, but in the lack of good food... :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

manored wrote:Id rather have good food than a glitering palace, but in the lack of good food... :)
good food? Im pretty sure food from master chefs and brewers is pretty awesome. No one said the food was bad, its just..the same.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Oh no, not another *+=MASTERCRAFT DWARVEN WINE ROAST=+* for dinner. In this palace. Where the only work is moving the lovely rocks about and killing goblin scum. God my life sucks.
manored

Post by manored »

But the globin scum levels keep rising until it covers everthing right? :)
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

I think I read that your dwarves will become more upset when their favorite food isn't available in the future. Kind of forces you to have more diversity, unless you don't mind tantruming baronesses and insane legendary miners hacking in at your precious legendary metalsmiths.
manored

Post by manored »

Well I hope it doesnt goes as far as that alone leading then insane, because ever dwarf I check has a diferent favorite food...

I am planning to do a impenetrable fortress now, so I would like to know what are the capabilities of the globins... I mean, can they dig and stuff like it?
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

No they cant dig. By impenatrable do you mean fully automated? it isnt terribly hard to make an automated/impenatreble fortress that you only have to turn on the magma traps when the goblins/elves/humans start sieging. Thats the only trouble really. For a really impenatrable fortress you'll need real military also to take out adamantine demons.

Some creatures can destroy buildings that get in there way, others can fly over lava or water and others could sweep right through your military.

Also demons CAN wipe out a MATURE fortress. You might think 'Oh pff ive killed over 100 goblins and i have this badass dwarf swordsman, but demons can totally change everything. IIRC, demons can even stealth.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Traps are for the weak.
Just train 30 champions, they'll mop up anything you throw at them.
manored

Post by manored »

Impenetrable I mean that nothing can get thru. if armies cannot dig then I suppose traps for armies and tough fighters for demons should do :)
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:Traps are for the weak.
I hate training military though. I always see it as such a waste sometimes. The most i ever got into military was about 20 marksdwarves. I used to have alot of spear dwarves too but then i always thought of it as a waste anyways.

One time during a large seige of like a billion gobby's I got really bored and decided to send out my military instead of lava burning. So 20 marksdwarves and about a dozen spear/sword dwarves went head on. the screen was filled with arrows and bolts flying everywhere. Once the sword dwarves hit there were limbs flying left and right. Ofcourse this was without quite a few casualities, atleast a third of military died. About 3 were mortally wounded but took half a year to die. INstead they just stayed in their beds gone completely insane and then killed a few of my dwarves before jumping off into a chasm... War is a traumatizing thing to some dwarves and just makes them go mad.

I love the game for its sort of realistic accuracy and the attachement you feel to some of your dwarves. Thats another reason I dont do military that often, It sucks when my dwarves are slain. Even like a champion swordsdwarf in full addy can be brought down by a few cocky bowmen.
manored

Post by manored »

Thats one of the strategies of war :) "Experienced soldiers have no better defense against projectiles than recruits, so attack then with projectiles"
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Muzic wrote:
Michilus_nimbus wrote:Traps are for the weak.
I hate training military though. I always see it as such a waste sometimes. The most i ever got into military was about 20 marksdwarves. I used to have alot of spear dwarves too but then i always thought of it as a waste anyways.

One time during a large seige of like a billion gobby's I got really bored and decided to send out my military instead of lava burning. So 20 marksdwarves and about a dozen spear/sword dwarves went head on. the screen was filled with arrows and bolts flying everywhere. Once the sword dwarves hit there were limbs flying left and right. Ofcourse this was without quite a few casualities, atleast a third of military died. About 3 were mortally wounded but took half a year to die. INstead they just stayed in their beds gone completely insane and then killed a few of my dwarves before jumping off into a chasm... War is a traumatizing thing to some dwarves and just makes them go mad.

I love the game for its sort of realistic accuracy and the attachement you feel to some of your dwarves. Thats another reason I dont do military that often, It sucks when my dwarves are slain. Even like a champion swordsdwarf in full addy can be brought down by a few cocky bowmen.
In the old version dwarfs would fall unconscious and be stopped from sleeping. The lack of sleep would give them negative thoughts, and the negative thoughts would make them tantrum. In the current version dwarfs that are injured will still occasionally get depressed, but it's very rare (if even possible, I think the game forces them to stay unconscious until they heal) for them to outright tantrum over it.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

In the old version dwarfs would fall unconscious and be stopped from sleeping. The lack of sleep would give them negative thoughts, and the negative thoughts would make them tantrum.
Buggers would crawl out of bed and feed themselves to the carps. Always happened to my injured guys.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

I assume dwarves still commit suicide
manored

Post by manored »

I think dwarves are sort of too suicidal. For example I read somewhere that if the mother of a baby dies the baby will go to the nearest clift and throw himself off it no stop until he dies.
Gota

Post by Gota »

So has he finished his plans with the armies fighting each other and the global goals of allowing for civilization and more outposts..?
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Gota wrote:So has he finished his plans with the armies fighting each other and the global goals of allowing for civilization and more outposts..?
Army arc hasnt even had its first version yet ):And the first update onthe army arc includes more diplomacy if anything i think and the removal of hills.
Gota

Post by Gota »

So let me understand.
The final goal is to be able to build many fortresses/cities and wage wars on other civilizations?sort of simcity meets civilization style?
manored

Post by manored »

I know he wants civilizations to interact with each other (wage wars and stuff) and for it to be possible to send groups of dwarves to territory outside your fortress for various tasks (probally incluiding war). Not sure about other things.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”